What is the best z-wave thermostat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the best z-wave thermostat

I am looking to replace my RCS TX16B X10 thermostat with a z-wave one.
    I am looking for opinions on which one is the best.
    Thx
    Cheers,
    Bob
    Web site | Help Desk | Feature Requests | Message Board

I like the Trane units if you have the voltage at the stat otherwise the new 2gig model would be the best in this situation.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I like the Schlage/Trane one. Sadly WAF got low after the unit stopped working after a week. Turns out upon reviewing it, the device had a loose connection. Maybe after I reinstall it, I'll come up with a bullet-proof install that keeps the connections working properly. The wiring wasn't loose or mis-wired. It was the snap-together-ness of the wiring part and the display part didn't snap together securely.

One thing I do wish was built into the Zwave thermostat plug-in/interface was something like this:

Current temperature control profile with a 'goal' temperature, and a time to achieve said 'goal' where it stair-steps the set temperature up to prevent the heat pump's electric / aux heat from kicking in. If the temperature profile isn't attainable within the given time, sure, allow the unit to kick in the aux heat, but only if the outside vs. inside temperature difference is outside some preset limit.

Same for cooling by allowing the home to cool itself naturally after a certain time of day rather than forcing A/C...

These ideas would save $. Sounds like a great Blade plug-in idea
      huggy_d1

Automating made easy

Comment

I think it depends on if you want cost or features.

The new one looks good. Features / size / shape, etc. looks a LOT like the WDT-20...which was the cheapest solution. The only feature that I cared about, that I gave up was I can't remote control the fan. Only call for heat or AC. I don't know about the new one, but the WDT-20 (assume the new one...due to similarities, but I don't know for sure) only has 4 setpoints. HEAT/AC, then ECOHEAT/ECOAC. you have to set them by hand (or through HS).

The more expensive ones have 5 or 5+2 day settings. I didn't care, as my HS system is pretty solid at this point. And with the new addition of HSTouch, I can do whatever I want in there.

The only thing I wish, was there was a Z-Wave serial module. The reason is, I could setup a small box or some kind to monitor the z-wave traffic. If there wasn't a response from the Server within say 30 minutes, it sets the Thermostat to "safe" values. Just in case I am in a "special mode".

What I call a special mode is, we don't have central air at my house. So, I've considered using AC mode as "fan". It works...but it will prevent the WDT-20 from calling for heat...I don't want to automate that, just in case HS locks up during a call for FAN. Even so, HS reboots, etc...but I just don't want to risk it...

With a UPB device, I can can some commands to "change" the thermostat to a safe "heated" temperature...but...Z-wave, haven't seen much relating to serial control over that. Especially serial control over the thermostats.

--Dan
        Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

I guess, thinking about it...even the WDT-20 might die, or heck, a programmable Honeywell could...

I guess I would want to get a temperature sensor in the house somewhere...

--Dan
          Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

The Trane/Schlage one does look nice.
            Once I do get one I do plan on writing a plugin to better control the HVAC.
            Cheers,
            Bob

Comment

Z-Wave Thermostat with Humidity Control

I have been considering Radio Thermostats CT80 that also supports humidity controls and has 2 RTM-1 radio ports that can support Z-Wave, WiFi and possibly connect to the power grid depending on your power company. Here is a link to check it out: http://www.radiothermostat.com/control.html

Comment

Those do look nice.
                I would love to get one that you can hook up a temperature sensor outside so I know what the outside temperature is and can adjust the thermostat accordingly
                That is where the plugin will come in handy
                Cheers,
                Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Blade View Post
                  Those do look nice.
                  I would love to get one that you can hook up a temperature sensor outside so I know what the outside temperature is and can adjust the thermostat accordingly
                  That is where the plugin will come in handy
                  The RCS Z-Wave tstat support a remote temp sensor.

http://store.homeseer.com/store/HVAC-C38.aspx
                  http://store.homeseer.com/store/OS21...S-P739C38.aspx
                  💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Thx Rupp.

I am so torn now on which one to get. It is between the 2GIG, RCS and the Trane.
                    I do want to have the ability to retrieve the outdoor temperature. Is it best to do that with a stat that has remote sensors or is there a better way?

The remote sensors for the RCS seem expensive at $117. Will the OS5 sensor work with the RCS? It is only $31 or so.

I would like to hear from users who are using the TZ43. It is expensive but seems nice.

Right now I have one cable coming from the furnace to where my RCS TX16B X10 stat is running. Will this work for any of the new z-wave stats or will I need more wires?

Thx
                    Cheers,
                    Bob

Comment

Also, is there any reason that HST is not selling the RCS TZ16 thermostat anymore?
                      It looks exactly like my RCS TX16B stat.

What does the TZ43 have over the TZ16?
                      It looks like they both do remote sensors.
                      Cheers,
                      Bob

Comment

I have read on the board that the remote sensors for the TZ43 will not show up in HS.
                        If this is the case then it will be quite hard to make use of the outside temperature when using it to customize the HVAC.

Anyone know if this true?
                        Cheers,
                        Bob

Comment

I'm not sure why you would want an external temp sensor integrated with an interior thermostat. You could easily accomplish the same thing with an external temp sensor by itself. If the external temp sensor is wired with the thermostat, you still have to read its value - just read the value from a separate sensor.
                          HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
                          54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
                          Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

and I think i know someone who wrote a great little plug-in for those sensors
                            Marty
                            ------
                            XPpro SP3 /w HS Standard 2.5.0.80, HSTouch Server - 1.0.0.70, HSTouch Client 1.0.0.73 HSTouch Android - 1.0.0.2, HSTouch iPhone - 1.0.0.2
                            Playing with HS3 a bit but it's just play at this point.

Comment

I guess I could run another 1wire sensor on the outside of the house. I wonder if those would survive the direct cold and weather.
                              Cheers,
                              Bob

Comment

Working...
                              X