Wi-Fi LED lamp comparison matrix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wi-Fi LED lamp comparison matrix

There are currently 2 major manufacturers of LED Colour changing Wi-Fi Bulbs. These are manufactured by Philips (Philips Hue) and in China under the following brand names: Limitless LED, Dekolight, iLight, applight, applamp, LEDme, EasyBulb, MiLight. Philips Hue are only available via the Apple stores.

If you are interested in this new technology, I have created a matrix comparing the two brands with a bias for Home Automation use. You can use this to decide which technology to purchase after weighing up the cost verses features etc.

I believe that the following is a true representation from the specifications found on the Internet.

Jon

I have just ordered 2 Limitless LED RGB + wifi controller. Obviously I chose Limitless over Phillips because of the price.
    From an HA point of view I think what's going to be missing the most is the possibility to control the bulbs individually and the possibility to request current status.
    Do you think these features may be added in a future firmware of the wifi controller or is it a hardware limitation?

Comment

Originally posted by spud View Post
      I have just ordered 2 Limitless LED RGB + wifi controller. Obviously I chose Limitless over Phillips because of the price.
      From an HA point of view I think what's going to be missing the most is the possibility to control the bulbs individually and the possibility to request current status.
      Do you think these features may be added in a future firmware of the wifi controller or is it a hardware limitation?
      I believe it is a hardware limitation. I did read that they have started developing version 2 of the lamps which should get over some of the limitations.

It seems odd that you have to have a separate Wi-Fi controller per RGB group. Obviously an oversight IMO.
      Jon

Comment

I've done some further testing with light levels from the Limitless RGB lamp and the Philips Hue lamp.

I took 2 light readings with both bulbs set to full brightness in a dark room using the same lamp holder:

Reading (A) - 1 metre (39") below the lamp.
        Reading (B) - 1 metre parallel (i.e same height) from the lamp.

.........................Limitless LED.........Philips Hue

White (A)................33 lux................71 lux
        White (B)................15 lux................38 lux
        Red(A)....................10 lux................32 lux
        Red(B).....................4 lux................17 lux
        Yellow (A)...............16 lux................53 lux
        Yellow (B)................8 lux.................28 lux
        Blue (A)..................10 lux................11 lux
        Blue (B)...................5 lux.................6 lux

It's interesting as both bulbs claim to have a 600 lumen output!
        Jon

Comment

Thanks for the test. Very interesting reading. This should help people to decide what led to buy.

Comment

Thanks. I've just updated the comparison table with more info/corrections.
            Jon

Comment

Hi Jon, you can update the matrix for the prices, because the LimitlessLED bulbs are normally on sale for $16 per White wireless LED, and $19 per wireless RGB color LED and have been for quite some time.

Thanks,
              -Hamish.
              LimitlessLED.

Comment

Originally posted by NewZealand View Post
                Hi Jon, you can update the matrix for the prices, because the LimitlessLED bulbs are normally on sale for $16 per White wireless LED, and $19 per wireless RGB color LED and have been for quite some time.

Thanks,
                -Hamish.
                LimitlessLED.
                I've added a footnote to reflect the sale prices.
                Jon

Comment

Jon00, Can you please try and set the color first, and then turn the brightness all the way up, and retest the lumens. I didn't make it very clear that there are two independent brightness settings in the LimitlessLED RGB color lightbulb, one brightness memory setting for the White Mode, and a separate brightness memory setting for the RGB colors.

So even if you turned the white mode all the way to full brightness, does not mean that the color is turned all the way up to full brightness. By default the color bulbs come with RGB White Mode at full brightness, and colors at half brightness level.

Let us know if this affects your testing.
                  Many Thanks,
                  Hamish.
                  -LimitlessLED.

Comment

Originally posted by NewZealand View Post
                    Jon00, Can you please try and set the color first, and then turn the brightness all the way up, and retest the lumens. I didn't make it very clear that there are two independent brightness settings in the LimitlessLED RGB color lightbulb, one brightness memory setting for the White Mode, and a separate brightness memory setting for the RGB colors.

So even if you turned the white mode all the way to full brightness, does not mean that the color is turned all the way up to full brightness. By default the color bulbs come with RGB White Mode at full brightness, and colors at half brightness level.

Let us know if this affects your testing.
                    Many Thanks,
                    Hamish.
                    -LimitlessLED.
                    I can confirm that the tests done were with full brightness as you describe.
                    Jon

Comment

Limitless released a new 9W RGBW bulb... does anyone know how these compare? I found the old ones to be too dim and only useful as accent lighting. And can they be used in recessed lighting?

http://www.limitlessled.com/shop/rgb...ed-light-bulb/

The site claims that it's 800 lumens, but it also claimed the old one was 600 lumens (compared to the 400 that Jon's helpful chart states)

Comment

Working...
                      X