No announcement yet.

Awesome Small Form Factor HS Platform

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pete, I would offer but the freight to the Great White North, along with customs and taxes can make things pretty expensive from USA. Maybe try for both and try for a break on the shipping but you never know for sure till it gets to your door. Then I have to find processors.

Comment

Yup; here just shipped a touchscreen up your way and noticed it cost me some $20 USD which is more than shipping a similiar sized box just a few months back.

If you want and do get one; have it shipped to me here and I will get it to you in Canada.

I like the two Shuttle computers that I purchased a couple of years ago. The two have been on 24/7 now for a couple of years. One here in the midwest and one in Florida. I have not had any issues with them.

Thing is with the shuttle computer is that the motherboard is proprietary such that its a throw away if it fails after warranty period.

I also have 4 other little mini tower shuttles with propietary motherboards in the discard pile right now.

BTW I have a bunch of AOpen Digital engines that I utilize for my XBMC boxes. These too are small footprint computers. They are the original designers of the Mac Mini motherboard.

That said I purchased the Aopen Digital engines in bulk for some $30 each with core duo CPUs and 1-4Gb of memory. The Aopen digital engines are more of a commercial mini PC and built to last and take much abuse.

They are not "pretty" computers rather they are functional and built well for a commercial environment and they are throwaways; but for $30 each; it doesn't matter to me.

HDMI, Optical and analog audio out work just fine for LCD TVs and XBMC.

I want to play with one of those little mini quad core arm CPU android boxes for XBMC; but using a rewrite XBMC Linux build on one with a direct wired network connection rather than wireless; just haven't gotten around to it yet. I could though then mount this little device to the laundry room LCD TV on the monitor behind the TV. (I want to do the same with the little LCD TV in the breakfast nook).

I have one that is some 4 years older that I purchased for Microsoft MCE that still runs like new. I did pay much more for it (> $500 at the time).

Bug the seller for free shipping.
      Last edited by Pete; January 11, 2014, 01:32 PM.
      - Pete

Auto mator
      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
      HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
      HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by mbdirtfarmer View Post
        Ultra, do you know if the DS61 supports IPMI Out-of-band remote access? I also would prefer it mounted on the backboard.
        Plug-ins: UltraMon, UltraM1G, UltraCID, Ultra1Wire, UltraLog, UltraWeatherBug, UltraPioneerAVR, UltraGCIR

Comment

Let me know what your find out, I am curious.

Comment

I won't be doing any more digging as I already purchased the latest Intel NUC i5 without the vPro chip

Regards,
            Ultrajones
            Plug-ins: UltraMon, UltraM1G, UltraCID, Ultra1Wire, UltraLog, UltraWeatherBug, UltraPioneerAVR, UltraGCIR

Comment

I ended up purchasing the Intel nuc with the vPro chip. You can connect to it using VNC Viewer Plus to get console access and to power on/off/reset the unit. It is pretty slick. The only drawback so far is it doesn't have a sound output jack.

Regards,
              Ultrajones

Comment

Originally posted by Ultrajones View Post
                I ended up purchasing the Intel nuc with the vPro chip. You can connect to it using VNC Viewer Plus to get console access and to power on/off/reset the unit. It is pretty slick. The only drawback so far is it doesn't have a sound output jack.

Regards,
                Ultrajones
                So did you abandon the Shuttle system? What model of the NUC did you go with?
                💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
                  So did you abandon the Shuttle system? What model of the NUC did you go with?
                  Nope, I still use the Shuttle DS61 as my HS3 system. I purchased the NUC to install Linux on. I went with the Intel Next Unit of Computing BOXDC53427HYE Desktop.

Regards,
                  Ultrajones

Comment

Looking at this little PC this morning. It is a first of its kind and selling for around $100 barebones but shipping is ridiculous. Current D525's I have are from Foxconn and Intel and Shuttle right now but the motherboards are mITX except for the Shuttle. The Foxconn and Shuttle Atom based computers have been on now 24/7 for maybe two years plus?.

That said one seller on ebay has it for some $400. Note that it is a bit bigger than the NUC but it is more inexpensive than the NUC. It is the first of its kind relating to chipset and size. Its on Ali-Express for $97 USD but shipping is $57 on it. Personally it looks to be a good carpc replacement as I am currently using Atom D525's in the carpcs or a replacement for my Aopen Digital engines used today for XBMC.

Looks to be more like around $140. I wrote this morning to see how much it would be for a bulk purchase of these - IE: maybe a group buy?

This morning's email I asked for a discount on 10, 20 or 30 of these.

Here I am currently testing HS3 in wintel and linux on AMD dual core (ZM), CoreDuo Intel, Arm (Zee) and Atom D525 Intel. It is running fine on my Zoneminder box #2 with Zoneminder; but I will probably move it to something standalone (similiar to what Randy is doing with the HS3 NUC computer build).

CPU - INTEL C1037U Celeron Dual-core 1.8GHz
                    Chipset - Intel C1037U+NM70
                    Graphics Cores - INTEL{R}HD Graphics
                    RAM - DDR3 SO-DIMM (or 2GB ,4GB,8GB optional)
                    graphics memory - GPU onboard 512M
                    Resolution - 1024*600,1366*768,1920*1080,,800x600,640x480
                    Color Depth - 32bit
                    Dimension - 19.7*19.7*4cm
                    Hard Drive Capacity - 160GB,320GB, 500GB,1TB or 8G16GB,32GB,64G ,128GB Optional
                    Video - HDMI+VGA
                    audio frequency - Realtek ALC6662
                    OS Supported - WIN7, Linux, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows 2003, Ubuntu,Debian etc.
                    Network - 1*RTL8111DL Onboard NIC Gigabit Lan, Wake-On-LAN Or WIFI
                    Power Adapter - input 110-220V(AC),output:12V(DC)/2A
                    I/O Port
                    4*USB2.0,
                    1*HDMI 1.3,
                    1*VAG,
                    1*MIC,
                    1*SPK,
                    1*DC-IN jack,
                    1*RJ 45Lan port ,
                    1*On/Off Power Switch
                    Rs232
                    http://liliputing.com/2013/08/intel-...under-200.html

I sent an email requesting price for 20 units shipped here to Chicago. I did get a response and a discount but not what I am looking for yet.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Pete; February 8, 2014, 10:34 AM.
                    - Pete

Auto mator
                    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

They look really interesting, how can they power on / off in a car though, do they have the capability of turning on when power applied?
                      HS3 PRO, Win10, WeatherXML, HSTouch, Pushover, UltraGCIR, Heaps of Jon00 Plugins, Just sold and about to move so very slim system.

Facebook | Twitter | Flickr | Google+ | Website | YouTube

Comment

That is more related to the type of power supply you use. Now the newest car PC power supplies are intelligent. You could just run the above mentioned pc off a battery if you wanted to.

My very first carpc (early 2000's) utilized a tank circuit plus the regular mini power supply. Currently I have D525's in two cars with pico psu's and the accessory voltage shutoff intelligently shuts down the main 12VDC power going to the mITX board. (its been Epia Via to faster Epia Via to early gen Atom to current D525 Atom carpc's)

IE:

http://www.mini-box.com/DCDC-USB-200?sc=8&category=981

DCDC-USB-200, Intelligent buck-boost DC-DC converter with USB interface

- 150watt (180Watt peak)
                        - Wide range input, 6-34V
                        - Programmable output 5-24V
                        - Default output 12V
                        - High current, up to 15A
                        - Dual synchrounous buck boost
                        - Spread Spectrum, out of phase operation
                        - Applications: power for motherboards with single rail power from any voltage to any voltage, laptops, custom electronics with buck-boost DC-DC.
                        - Programmable via USB interface
                        - Sends ON/OFF pulse to motherboard
                        - 4 modes of operation: DUMB, Automotive, Script or UPS
                        - 100% Solid Polymer Capacitors, Japan
                        - manufactured by mini-box.com
                        - New! enclosure available:
                        Last edited by Pete; February 26, 2014, 08:59 PM.
                        - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
                          Still trying to get a bulk deal on the above mentioned PC. ~130 USD so far. Looking for better and cheaper shipping. Total barebones would be the cheapest and easiest to configure; IE: SATA, SSD, memory and wireless would be the only adds.
                          Hey Pete - I would be interested in one if you do get a bulk deal going.
                          HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
                          54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
                          Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Thanks Rob.

Yup this is the first of its kind.

That said vendor being stubborn on the discount.

But they are being sold by a bunch of different vendors.

It is smaller than the net tops being sold here today by Shuttle, Foxconn, etc.

They are small though. This is bigger than a Nuc and smaller than the current crop of Netops and cheaper than anything I have seen here.

That said it has room inside for a SATA drive or SSD drive. Guessing the wireless is a mini pcie thing.

Here is a comparison between it and an Atom based CPU.

Here is a quickie review from the XBMC forum. Motherboard number is: TN-C1037U

OK, results of some more testing.
                            This is still under wireless.
                            X26 is plugged into a LG 1080p TV via HDMI. All tests on openelec 3.0.6-Intel 64 bit installed onto the onboard 8G SSD. Temp measurements via the cputemp utility over ssh. Aeon Nox with no adjustments from default install of the skin.
                            Idle - 20% on each core, temp 55C
                            I scanned my movie collection (files are all on an SMB share) and the CPU usage was about 30% on one core, nil on the other, temp got up to about 54C. Couldn't hear the fan unless my ear was about 2 inches away.
                            Playback:
                            Star Trek Into Darkness, 1080p h264, video bitrate 17.0 Mbps, temp is about 46C and cpus hovering between 15-25%
                            In all cases couldn't hear the fan (the movie was on mute).
                            I took a couple of pics of the innards. For the curious
                            1. The wireless subcard is indeed attached to the USB bus via a MB header.
                            2. There is another header right next to it that you could use for an IR receiver. There is a closeup of the header in my pics.
                            http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=171705&page=10

Found just the motherboard for $86 and maybe a like for an aluminum case. It states its the same motherboard; but the picture shows a bunch of stuff not there.

Another quickie comparison:

I've been running OE until recently on an Intel NUC Celeron and it ran flawlessly.

The Celeron 847 in the NUC is a dual core CPU clocked at 1.1 GHz running Intel's HD2000 GPU.
                            The Celeron 1037U in the device mentioned is a dual core CPU clocked at 1.8 GHz with Intel's HD2500 GPU.

The 1037U is a faster CPU with a faster GPU than the 847 so should run OpenELEC just fine.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Pete; February 10, 2014, 10:16 AM.
                            - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Working...
                            X