Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Under cabinet lighting suggestions

Guys,
    What are you using for under cabinet lightning? We are remodeling our cabinets and I want to redo the older flo's that are present.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Here I have kitchen cabinets in the garage and have been using these little puck 120 VAC LED lights for a few years now.

I have left them on 24/7 now for some 3-4 years and they have worked fine. Not sure if they dim.

I put 2 of these per double cabinet and 1 of these per single cabinet.

They are modular with 120VAC connectors. They do not dim but guessing the new ones do.

I did run the wire to an electrical box with a switch and never did change the switch to an automated one.

This is a bit easier than using the 12VDC with transformer.

Googling found these:

120VAC Puck Lights

here is an Ebay sale on 7 sets of three lights.
    Last edited by Pete; December 12, 2014, 06:49 PM.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
      Guys,
      What are you using for under cabinet lightning? We are remodeling our cabinets and I want to redo the older flo's that are present.
      I used LED strip lighting, with a strip at the rear (near the wall) and a strip about 2/3 toward the front. They are controlled by modded Kichler Z-Wave devices I found at Amazon, but they could also be controlled by PWM outputs from an Arduino.

The strips are 12V 60LED per meter and a 5 meter strip is about $8.

The Kichler dimmers are designed to be part of a system, but I supplied them with 12VDC then attached a MOSFET to drive the LED strips. The MOSFET can easily control 4 amps or more without a heatsink. They can be manually controlled at the cabinets or controlled by HS events.

I turn them on at sunset to about 30%, then they become nightlights from 11PM until dawn at 5%. My wife loves the look and appreciates the soft night lighting.

If you want pictures or more details on the modifications, I can put something together.
      Last edited by randy; December 12, 2014, 07:17 PM.
      HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.16 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

I should have stated that I already have 120v at each spot connected to a switch so I think I want to stay with this unless a retro fit to low voltage would be easy.

Comment

I should have stated that I already have 120v at each spot connected to a switch so I think I want to stay with this unless a retro fit to low voltage would be easy.
          That is the same dilemma I face with the bar in the basement. I haven't done it yet, but I am thinking about bypassing the switch and using the same as I did in the kitchen. The reason being is that I like the dimming and the total energy consumption is about 5 watts at full brightness. When they are used as nightlights they are well under 1 watt.

The other option would be under counter LED pucks, but they would be fixed brightness. If you already have dimmer controls, the pucks that Pete referenced might be the best.
          HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.16 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

If you have glass shelves, you can edge light the bottom glass shelf with a strip of LEDs to create "invisible source" undercabinet lighting that simultaneously uplights into the cabinet also.

Comment

I made a little utility section in the basement by the sump pump. There are three shelves adjacent mounted on the cement wall. First shelf has the backup sump pump battery. Underneath it I did mount little 12VDC strips of LED lights from LG Innotek. Did get a deal and purchased a bunch of these but only installed 6 sets of these 3 LED lamps. They are mounted under the shelf that holds the battery in place. They have a nice light and illuminate the two well tops in that section of the basement. These too are on 24 / 7. I do not dim these and these have been on now 24/7 about a year now.

LG Innotek

12V Warm White LEDs

A customer comment on these LED lamps.

A customer from Tampa Bay
              Bright warm white LED module
              I used 10 of these to re-build 2 "Ott-Lite" fluorescent floor lamps. They are very bright and show a slightly yellow tinge to the light. Running them on a small 12v switching wall wart. 5 modules draw 105ma. These are made for the commercial sign industry from what I can find. I found the mfr's spec sheet but it does not show the max DC voltage rating. It just say 12 vdc. They seem to be fine at 13.6 - 13.8 vdc.
              Last edited by Pete; December 12, 2014, 08:28 PM.
              - Pete

Auto mator
              Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
              Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I found this kit and wonder if I could still use my switch in the wall to just turn the power to the transformer on and off? I could then use the existing romex (disconnected from the power of course) to route from one side of the sink to the other?

Comment

Without really knowing the way its wired; and it looks relatively easy. I do not see an issue with using existing romex to pass the LV for it as long as its not with HV in boxes. Just a guess here.
                  - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

I use led strip lighting from amazon and a transformer controlled by z-wave outlets.

Sent from my SCH-R970X using Tapatalk
                    HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
                    54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
                    Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post
                      I use led strip lighting from amazon and a transformer controlled by z-wave outlets.

Sent from my SCH-R970X using Tapatalk
                      So Rob you use a non dimmable Z-Wave switch to power your transformer? Is this hard on a transformer powering it up and down? If not this is the route I may go.

Comment

So Rob you use a non dimmable Z-Wave switch to power your transformer? Is this hard on a transformer powering it up and down? If not this is the route I may go.
                        Hi Greg,

I do the same with LED strips bought at Costco for my cupboard lighting. No issue with the transformer.

Cheers
                        Al
                        HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
                        Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Outlets are relay - no dimming.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 4
                          HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
                          54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
                          Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
                            I made a little utility section in the basement by the sump pump. There are three shelves adjacent mounted on the cement wall. First shelf has the backup sump pump battery. Underneath it I did mount little 12VDC strips of LED lights from LG Innotek. Did get a deal and purchased a bunch of these but only installed 6 sets of these 3 LED lamps. They are mounted under the shelf that holds the battery in place. They have a nice light and illuminate the two well tops in that section of the basement. These too are on 24 / 7. I do not dim these and these have been on now 24/7 about a year now.

LG Innotek

12V Warm White LEDs

A customer comment on these LED lamps.
                            Great find pete, did you pay a lot for these?
                            Hector
                            MyTrigger,ACRF2,W800,Zwave
                            AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post

If you want pictures or more details on the modifications, I can put something together.
                              Rprade, I like the kicker dimmer device you found. Did your device come with LED? Can you post more detail about your install?
                              Hector
                              MyTrigger,ACRF2,W800,Zwave
                              AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

Working...
                              X