Roller Blinds and NEW Z-wave Control for RollerTrol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roller Blinds and NEW Z-wave Control for RollerTrol

I was checking out RollerTrol today and spoke with the owner who said they have a NEW z-wave module to use with their existing RF module so if anyone is still using a plugin, you now have another option. I don't know when they started carrying it but he said it was new so I am posting to let anyone interested know.

The motors look good and I am shopping around for my blinds right now so I can determine which ones I need. Steve's is having a 70% off sale on blinds so I can get something nice with fabric in the blackout style starting around $40 a window.
    Last edited by Planetview; August 6, 2015, 11:07 PM. Reason: Fix broken URL

As an existing RollerTrol user (controlled with RFXCOM), I'm quite happy with their product and performance... reliably opening and closing blinds in a few rooms in my house everyday for a year now.

On cursory comparison, the z-wave module for RollerTrol doesn't seem like a big step forward compared to their radio version... the z-wave version seems more expensive, more wires and more steps to install and doesn't even provide additional functions (can it even report the status of the blind? Let alone the % position) except that it's z-wave compatible and it becomes a zwave repeater.

Zwave:
    + zwave compatible
    + becomes a zwave repeater
    + can use non-radio version of their motors ($10 saving)
    - $89 per zwave controller (need one for every blindset)
    - need to use wired wall controller ($69 each)
    - need to run extra wires between zwave box, wall controller and the motors.
    - does not provide additional status

Radio (R-Series):
    + RFXCom 433 compatible
    + Only $10 per blind
    + Can use (multiple) wireless controllers
    + Single cable to motors (just 12v power)
    = Need RFXtrx (110 euro from rfxcom) if you don't have one, but transceiver unit can work with all rollertrols in your house (if range permits). Also can be used to read Oregon Scientific sensors, Nexa, KAKU, X10, etc dozens other standards.
    Last edited by LeoS; August 7, 2015, 12:24 AM.
    HW: HS3 w/ Win8.1 on ASRock C2550d4i. Digi AnywhereUSB, Hubport, Edgeport, UZB, Z-trollers, PLCBUS, SONOS, GC-100, iTach IP2SL, WF2IR, IP2IR, RFXtrx433, Harmony Hubs, Hue, Ademco Vista 128BP, NetAtmo, NetAtmo Welcome

Google Search for HomeSeer Forum

Comment

The z-wave module just adds the z-wave functionality in this case. You still need the RF module. HomeSeer -> Z-wave module -> RF module -> blinds. I don't know if it reports back or tracks the blind status but I will ask if I get a chance.

Comment

Originally posted by Planetview View Post
        The z-wave module just adds the z-wave functionality in this case. You still need the RF module. HomeSeer -> Z-wave module -> RF module -> blinds. I don't know if it reports back or tracks the blind status but I will ask if I get a chance.
        Oh wow, I didn't see that. The receiver is the same price as the wired wall controller ($69), except that you'll have to buy a G-series controller on top of it...

Note that they have R-series and G-series radios. The G-series seem to be the newer one, have nicer looking remotes, but these are not compatible with 433mhz RFXcom.
        HW: HS3 w/ Win8.1 on ASRock C2550d4i. Digi AnywhereUSB, Hubport, Edgeport, UZB, Z-trollers, PLCBUS, SONOS, GC-100, iTach IP2SL, WF2IR, IP2IR, RFXtrx433, Harmony Hubs, Hue, Ademco Vista 128BP, NetAtmo, NetAtmo Welcome

Comment

Originally posted by LeoS View Post
          Oh wow, I didn't see that. The receiver is the same price as the wired wall controller ($69), except that you'll have to buy a G-series controller on top of it...

Note that they have R-series and G-series radios. The G-series seem to be the newer one, have nicer looking remotes, but these are not compatible with 433mhz RFXcom.

Yes, the G series is newer, they are phasing out the R series (no longer carry remotes).

You don't need the wired wall controller, a wireless will do but you need one controller to program and be the master of the RF module. I will need:

Z-wave module
          RF module
          Handheld wireless controller
          Motor
          blind
          Charger for motor battery (or AC/DC connection)

I am doubtful that the blind status will be reported back to HomeSeer since it does not connect directly to the blind and you can still use the RF controllers (handheld, wireless or hard wired).

Comment

Some of the blind motors are RF enabled so the RF module can signal it from anywhere within range.

Of course you can still control using RF only (skip the z-wave) if it works with the new G series or is hard wired. He is keeping it modular for flexibility with the different systems instead of building z-wave into the RF module.

Comment

Since their zwave module seems to just be relay controls, how about replacing it with Fibaro's roller shutter module? Fibaro's (supposed to be able to) do precise position, reports the status and also energy usage

http://www.vesternet.com/z-wave-fibaro-roller-shutter-2

edit: nevermind, Fibaro's is not DC compatible. I thought they would be, since their LED module is AC and DC compatible.

edit2: that would be Qubino's.

Comment

Here is a link to the company with the 70% off sale on their signature brand in case anyone is interested: Steve's Blinds & Wallpaper

I have been looking at blinds for months and the prices/quality seem to be good based on what I have been finding.

Comment

Hi i have one of these:

https://www.facebook.com/RaptorsIrra...type=1&theater

its the zwave interface with the add on switch for the 433mhz.

its a great alternative to the 433mhz if used with non radio motors,

this solution is perfect for a bank of several windows that don't need individual control.

let me know if you have any questions.

full disclosure, i got this zwave module free for helping rollertrol find the zwave manufacturer.

Raptor
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Raptor; August 7, 2015, 08:36 AM.
                  HS3 Pro on Windows 8 64bit
                  53 Z-wave nodes(46 devices, 7 remotes), 15 DS10a's, 10 ms16a's, 9 Oregon Sensors, W800, RFXCOMtrx433, Way2Call, 3 HSTouch Clients, 2xRussound CAS44, Global Cache GC100-12,10 Rollertrol blinds(+ zwave) ,3 Squeezebox Radios and 1 Squeezebox Boom,DMX Arduino via ethernet,Rain8Net,3x Echo Dot's

Check out my electronics blog here:
                  https://www.facebook.com/RaptorsIrrationalInventions

Comment

Since their zwave module seems to just be relay controls, how about replacing it with Fibaro's roller shutter module? Fibaro's (supposed to be able to) do precise position, reports the status and also energy usage

http://www.vesternet.com/z-wave-fibaro-roller-shutter-2

edit: nevermind, Fibaro's is not DC compatible. I thought they would be, since their LED module is AC and DC compatible.

edit2: that would be Qubino's.
                    Yes, the Qubino looks interesting but I could not see what wireless frequency it uses to communicate with the blind motors, only that it has USA frequencies. I could not download the PDF. Do you know what frequency it uses?

Comment

Originally posted by Raptor View Post
                      Hi i have one of these:

https://www.facebook.com/RaptorsIrra...type=1&theater

its the zwave interface with the add on switch for the 433mhz.
                      Cool, can it do precise positions (with a slider like lamp dimmers)?
                      I'd like to use it if I can program it to open 25-30%, 75%, etc...

Originally posted by Planetview View Post
                      Yes, the Qubino looks interesting but I could not see what wireless frequency it uses to communicate with the blind motors, only that it has USA frequencies. I could not download the PDF. Do you know what frequency it uses?
                      I think US only has one Z-Wave frequency: 908.4mhz?

http://qubino.com/available-frequencies/

Most Qubino stuffs are multi voltage (100-240v) but programmed for one frequency. Their dimmers work with AC and DC (100-240v AC and 12v or 24v DC), and may come with extra input ports (0-10v temp sensor, etc)

Comment

I think US only has one Z-Wave frequency: 908.4mhz?

http://qubino.com/available-frequencies/

Most Qubino stuffs are multi voltage (100-240v) but programmed for one frequency. Their dimmers work with AC and DC (100-240v AC and 12v or 24v DC), and may come with extra input ports (0-10v temp sensor, etc)
                        I was thinking it was a z-wave module operating on the z-wave frequency and then having to connect to the blinds on another frequency or via hard wire just like the RollerTrol. I have not found any direct z-wave capable blind motors without a separate module and did not see any blind motors on their site, only the modules. Am I missing something?

Comment

Working...
                        X