X10 issues discussion - hopes for fixes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pete View Post
    ....there are no X10 filters anywhere today...
    Same.. no filters in use.. but yeah ill get .81 installed... thx
    HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

oh and i can test both the TI103 and my previous controller.. I loved it.. but had to get a TI103 when I got HS3 as nothing else was supported..

powerlinc 1132cu

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

Yup that should work.

If you want to get granular with HS3 / serial com to whatever X10 controller you use load up the Microsoft program that echos the serial port communications.

You will see the same errors as seen with the X10 plugin in HS2.

They are just timing errors between the serial port X10 PIM and the Homeseer plugin.

IE: play with the timing stuff on the TI103 while watching the serial communications.

I've mentioned this specific X10 plugin problem and diagnostics to you in another post.

Read here ==============> X10 CM11A HS2 Plugin Broken since 2005 about source problems with X10 original Homeseer 2 plugin.

I opened a bugzilla ticket relating to the problem with HS3. After 1-2 revisions of the plugin it seemed to have been fixed as I tested it again after trying updated plugins.

Only thing was that I only tested it in Linux (I have not gone back to using HS3 in Windows now for a long time) and I think too that the HS3 for Linux X10 plugin was using the original Mochad X10 linux driver then HS3 Tech went back to using the ported HS2 driver for HS3. This is a guesstimate based on all of the complaints I have seen relating to HS3 and X10 plugin.

I have good hardware connectivity on the Oracle Windows server VB running such that I can probably run HS3 for Windows there to test just to see the difference. Well too I have extra X10 PIMs (CM11A's and TW-523's and an old Ocelot and Jeff's Volp's stuff) and one DigiEdgeport, Digi Anywhere USB and a Quatech server plugged in to the Wintel VB and two Digi Edgeports plugged in to the Linux side of HS3.

IE: Digi Edgeport is plugged in to a Digi USB Anywhere and the VB gets to the Digi USB anywhere and sees the 8 Digi Edgeport serial ports with no issues.

Really too Homeseer doesn't want to support or update the X10 plugin any more as Mark posted that any users can pick up the source for free and fix it themselves.

This is the same with the original HS3 based UPB plugin today. It works but Spud's plugin works way better.

This issue has been brought up many times already relating to the assumption of what you got purchasing of HS3 Pro and comparing to the included stuff with Homeseer 2 Pro.
        Last edited by Pete; November 20, 2015, 04:22 PM.
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
        HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
        HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I hesitate to add any comments to this thread because my system is so unstable I cannot draw any conclusions. I will add some comments later.

Steve Q

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
          HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
          2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

If I understand it right the X10 Polling Time has to do with sequential commands stored in the TI 103 interface. I don't think it has anything to do with polling devices for status.

Comment

so this thread didn't go how I wanted it to.... wanted it to be a list of issues people have instead of my own issues....

anyway...
              my polling ...
              was set to..

ummmm

10,000 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

changed it.. going to see how things are going now but bedtime so will mess tomorrow... well after MMA, hockey, MMA, 10yr old bday party....

Comment

OMG how do you have time to do anything with HS3?

Steve Q

HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
                2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

HS3 X10 Plugin "Polling Interval"

Gentlemen,

I have not yet seen the source for the HS3 X10 plugin (Ti103/CM11a) so I can only make educated guesses based on my experience with the Ti103 plugin for HS2 (I have supported that plugin since 2006).

To my knowledge the polling interval is only for the Ti103. When this device receives X10 data on the powerline, it does not automatically send that data to the PC, but buffers all received X10 traffic locally until requested (polled) by the PC to send the buffered data - hence a polling interval parameter. I've not looked a the HS2 plugin source for quite some time but seem to recall that 300mS was the default polling interval. So if the polling interval on your system is set to the latest default of 4000mS (which is 4 seconds), HS3 is only requesting updates from the Ti unit for received X10 traffic every 4 seconds, which may explain why some folks are reporting HS3 X10 "processing delays." Note that the polling interval has no bearing on the transmission of X10 data as these are sent to the Ti immediately (well, they were in the HS2 version).

In my experience I found that the Ti103 transmits a much more powerful signal than the CM11a. In addition, it incorporates an AGC (Automatic Gain Control) circuit and noise filtering algorithm on the receive side that greatly improves receive sensitivity in noisy X10 environments. I used the CM11a for many years and had a lot of trouble with it. Switching to the Ti103 resulted in a 99.99% reliable X10 system in my home.

I have considered Jeff Volp's bridged system a few times but since my system is so stable I really don't have a need. I believe his system transmits at much higher power levels than the Ti103 (Pete's experience seems to indicate this), but I'd need to speak with him to confirm.

Finally, once I have the HS3 plugin source and get acquainted with it, I will create a new thread specifically for discussions on this. I know everyone (including me) is anxious to get the issues resolved, but please bear in mind that I have very limited time to work on this so I'll ask for your patience in advance.
                  Best regards,
                  -Mark-

If you're not out on the edge, you're taking up too much room!
                  Interested in 3D maps? Check out my company site: Solid Terrain Modeling

Comment

X10 issues discussion - hopes for fixes

Mark, again thanks for volunteering to work on this.

For the past several days, I have worked hard to get x10 working on my HS3 system. I have been running HS2 and HS3 side by side on 2 different computers for the past 15 months and gradually transitioning from HS2 to HS3. During the last week I have learned a lot about x10 on HS3. My experience with X10 dates back to the early 70s when RadioShack was selling a line of 10x modules and table top controllers. My HS2 setup has been running without issues for about 5-7 years. I am well aware of the limitations of the technology but I never felt the problems were significant enough to totally abandon the technology.

I have now completed about 85% on my transition to HS3 and 3 days ago, I pulled the plug on HS2.

Here is a snapshot of my current HS3 setup:
                    Computer: Dell laptop with i5 core CPU running Windows 7 Pro, 3 USB ports
                    Software: HS3 pro version 3.0.180
                    Hardware: 7 port USB expansion adapter
                    Ti103 x10 serial interface connected via a USB to serial cable -prolific driver
                    W800 USB32 connected to USB expansion port
                    Aeon Z-wave stick connected to USB computer port
                    TEMP08 connected via a USB to serial cable to the expansion port
                    XAP DS9490r 1wire interface connected to USB computer port.
                    HS3 plugins : Z-wave, CM11/TI103, BLRF, mcsXap, NetCam, HSTouch

Devices: z-wave-50 devices, x10 power line devices-36, x10 motion sensors- 13, x10 DS10 sensors-19, DS1820 temperature sensors-12, DS2406 and DS2438 sensors- 38, and 9 security cameras. Total devices 230.

As of today, my HS3 system is fully operational. All devices are working with HS3. I still have much more to do but I feel very good about what I have been able to accomplish thus far.

Here are some of my observations about x10:

The X10CM15a and its associated plugin did not work very well for me. It cannot coexist with the TI103 and its plugin. When both plugins are running, you can't create devices; HS3 gets very confused.

The BLRF plugin works flawlessly with DS10 devices. It also works well with X10 wireless motion sensors (I have MR16a) but they must be setup properly in HS3. There is a connection between BLRF and the X10 TI103 plugin which occurs during the setup of the motion sensor. Both plugins need to be running properly when the X10 motion sensor devices are created. The x10 device code for the motion sensor must be entered via the X10 tab of the TI103 plugin.

The BLRF plugin has a "Powerline Retransmit" feature. This checkbox must be checked to pass X10 signals from wireless devices to the Powerline. However, I found that you should probably not check all the boxes because it will flood the power line with all the x10 signals from your motion sensors. This is probably a cause for delays in the processing of x10 signals by the TI103/HS3 plugin.

It is not necessary to create a HS3 device for every X10 devicecode you might want to use. The BLRF plugin will pass all X10 wireless device codes (those that are checked) to the Powerline whether or not corresponding HS3 devices exist. The Ti103 plugin will see the the wireless devicecode on the Powerline and can use it as an event trigger. For example, if you create an event that is triggered by "X10: received" B9-on, to turn on lamp module C7, you can use an X10 6in1 wireless remote to send B9-on to turn on the lamp. B9 does not have to exist in HS3. I think there is a lot of confusion about this issue.

CAPI Is involved in the processing and control of X10 signals. I believe that HS3 and CAPI may require more CPU resources than HS2 did. Perhaps this is another cause of delays in signal processing. I see only a few second delay (worst case) in the processing on my X10 event commands. But I am using a pretty powerful computer.

There is a bug (perhaps already fixed) in ver 180 of HS3 that shows up when creating Events triggered by X10. When creating an event, (for example ; "turn on C7 via remote") that uses the trigger "X10: received" ,you can choose the triggering device code from the drop down boxes. You then set up the device you want to turn on. No issue, the event works when you test it, everything is fine. However when you then create the corresponding "Turn off C7 via remote" by making a copy of the "on" event, then modifying the copy to make it "off", HS3 will change the original event also. If you don't notice this issue, it will make you crazy when you test the events. The original event will no longer work. I believe this is also one of the reasons for many reports of erratic behavior of X10.

Ok, that's enough for now. I hope that gives everyone some ideas where to look to fine tune their x10 HS3 setup!

Steve Q

Last edited by Steve Q; November 21, 2015, 01:45 PM.

Comment

Thank-you Mark

but I'd need to speak with him to confirm.
                      When I had my X10 test meter (and I have lost it or lent it out) the X10 signal was pegging the meter wherever I was in the house.

Relating to the TI103 here purchased it when it was first sold by Homeseer. I had been using a CM11A which I connected adjacent to the fuse panel in the old house and ran a long serial cable to Homeseer. I didn't note any difference. Then again I didn't have issues with the CM11A nor an X10 signal tester at the time.

Just a couple of years ago though sent out to the UK the UK version of the TI103 (it was new then) and one of Jeff's dual phased X10 devices for UK voltage. A comparison was done between the two devices by a Homeseer peer there.

Here as stated only utilize X10 today for my Christmas lighting and some palm pad W800 stuff for my irrigation system testing. Not really much else these days.

Here got involved specifically with the HS3 X10 plugin cuz many folks were still and today are still using the CM11A and other legacy X10 products and they had issues with the X10 HS3 plugin. (many bugzilla tickets have been opened regarding said issue).

Here have stayed using the older CM11A and TW523 devices mixed in with Jeff Volp's newer devices. (thus my recommendations).
                      - Pete

Auto mator
                      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                      HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                      HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by mfisher View Post
                        Gentlemen,

I have not yet seen the source for the HS3 X10 plugin (Ti103/CM11a) so I can only make educated guesses based on my experience .....

So side question.. i own a TI-103 so this is irrelevant to me now but...

Before going to this controller i used the usb powerlinc 1132cu or u I forget. I loved it... think the x10 plugin can work with more than the select few today? May help others transition too....

I still own it as i dont want to get rid of it yet as if it was supported i might go back to it over the ti103

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Comment

Also one little issue I have noticed different to HS2 is how the plugin handles dim commands, IIRC in HS2 if I wanted to dim a lamp to 60% then it would make a calculation on how many steps to dim based on the current HS device value. Things could get slightly out of step at times but it appears now that the default is that if you want to dim say from 60% to 80% then it will go 60 > 100 > 80 so it always works backwards from 100%. HS2 if memory serves me would figure out the difference and step up from what it thought the device should be at. I know it makes sense to always go to a known value (100) because of how dumb the protocol is but would be nice to have this feature back.

HS2 used to label it Dim Absolute vs Dim Bright First - HS3 does not appear to have that functionality in the event actions but it would be nice to have in some capacity (whether by config page or not).

Comment

Shaug!!.... this would decrease the WAF in my house, as I have my bedroom lights turn up in step in the morning. ie. 30% - 60% - 100%.
                            HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Originally posted by langenet View Post
                              Shaug!!.... this would decrease the WAF in my house, as I have my bedroom lights turn up in step in the morning. ie. 30% - 60% - 100%.
                              I'll wait for someone to see if their plugin behaves the same but that's what happens with me. I use the CM11 side of it but with an XTB-232 (that is CM11 protocol compliant).

The devices I am using are just standard lamp modules.

Comment

Originally posted by mrhappy View Post
                                I'll wait for someone to see if their plugin behaves the same but that's what happens with me. I use the CM11 side of it but with an XTB-232 (that is CM11 protocol compliant). The devices I am using are just standard lamp modules.
                                Have you tried the 'Preset' device type?
                                Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
                                HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Working...
                                X