X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1-wire hub

Has anyoe used one of these?

http://www.hobby-boards.com/catalog/...master_hub.php

It is a 1-wire hub with suplementary power. The instructions refer you to 'your software' for enabling and disabling the individual ports. I am not sure what software they are referring to. I want to place this after the Temp08 in my network to break it into smaller segments. I have a weather station, lightning detector, etc on a long wire run to the roof, and other temp sensors around the house. Some of the devices either require or support suplementary power to reduce the load on the network, so this should help in that area as well.

OOPS, I just found Mwhistle's thread which seems to cover the whole thing.

Nevermind!

Gardner

Gardner

Originally posted by gcyeaw
    Has anyoe used one of these?

http://www.hobby-boards.com/catalog/...master_hub.php

It is a 1-wire hub with suplementary power. The instructions refer you to 'your software' for enabling and disabling the individual ports. I am not sure what software they are referring to. I want to place this after the Temp08 in my network to break it into smaller segments. I have a weather station, lightning detector, etc on a long wire run to the roof, and other temp sensors around the house. Some of the devices either require or support suplementary power to reduce the load on the network, so this should help in that area as well.

OOPS, I just found Mwhistle's thread which seems to cover the whole thing.
    Do you have a link to this thread as I'm about to order that exact hub and am wondering which mcs plugin I would need. I plan on using the wind measurement as well as four temp sensors (data in HomeSeer devices plus logging/graphing capability).

I would rather not go with XAP if I don't have to, and I'm STILL using HomeSeer version 1.7!

FYI, the additional items I'm ordering are included in the pic below.

Thanks,

BSR
    Attached Files
    --------------------------------------------------
    **** Do You "Cocoon"? ****

Comment

My hub is resting in the "should have researched it furhter before I bought it" draw. I think XAP was the only way to get it to work. I am using only the Temp08 and all of my 1-wire devices are on the same buss. The rest of the HobbyBoards stuff works great.

Gardner

Comment

BSR, I'm on 1.6.174 so you are not the longest holdback. Adding the hub to mcsTemperature is too much risk to existing users. mcsTempeature has many branches that exist for specialized specific user needs. I have no way to know if I broke something for one of the users that don't watch the board very often. Yes, be careful with xAP. Once you get the taste you will be addicted.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael McSharry
          Yes, be careful with xAP. Once you get the taste you will be addicted.
          Ok Michael. You have intrigued me (err challenged me ) on xAP. I have been reading your xAP forums for a while now.

If I were to get the Hobby Boards Hub I take it from my reading that I would first load any drivers (Dallas?) for the hub on the HomeSeer server. I would then connect the serial output of that hub to the HomeSeer computer.

Then I would install the mcsXap HomeSeer plugin. This would act as a "communication hub" for xap devices to HomeSeer devices.

Then I would need to install the xapmcs1wire HomeSeer plugin. This would get my one wire data from the hub to the mcsXap "communication hub".

I can then use mcsTemperature to read the HomeSeer device values and store/plot those devices using this extensive capability.

Can you kindly state if I have at least this basic methodology correct? I have a real hard time with new technology if I don't have a basic understanding of the way information is passed/transferred.

Is this the methodology you would employ? I want a dedicated HomeSeer system and not so much interested in a distributed data hub between computers. I use MainLobby and transfer HomeSeer device information via the MLHSPlugin and thus use MainLobby clients on remote PC's for the "remote" information needs.

I'm thinking I need to stick with making the hobby boards hub work as all of my wiring lands in my wiring closet so a star network seems the optimal choice.

Thanks. I know you put a tremendous amount of work into this software!

PS: Wow, HomeSeer version 1.6! I don't feel so bad now. Maybe we have similar philosophies, if something isn't broke, well you know...

Comment

Since we're discussing alternatives...

I've been very happy with the HA7NET

http://embeddeddatasystems.com/page/EDS/PROD/HA/HA7Net

I like that I can access 1-wire data from any computer on my network. With a little research and help from the folks on this board, I was able to write my own scripts for data collection...

Comment

A Homeseer xAP setup consists of a xAP Homseer plugin and a xAP hub on the same computer. I made available mcsXap as the plugin and xapmcsHub as the hub. James at mi4.biz also provides a HS plugin and Stuart at xapFramework.net as well as others provide alternate xAP hubs.

xAP has been allocated port 3639 by the authority that has responsibilty for IP ports. On a Windows computer only one application can reserve a port at one time. This is where the xAP hub comes into play. The xAP hub will be the one that claims port 3639. The hub will use the localhost LAN and dynamically select other ports to exchange data among the other xAP applications on the same computer. All xAP communications are in broadcast mode and the hub makes broadcast a reality by overcoming the limits imposed by the OS.

The Homeseer xAP plugin is needed is you want Homeseer to become one of the xAP nodes. It is the same analogy as needing a UPB plugin if you want Homeseer to be able to be a member of the UPB network.

The above two form the infrastructure for using xAP with Homeseer. Just as you can add applicance modules, switch modules, IO modules, etc to a UPB network, you can add a variety of xAP nodes to the LAN. One of these is xapmcs1Wire. xapmcs1Wire translates communications using a DS0909U or DS9490 on a Dallas 1-wire network into LAN traffic that uses the xAP protocol.

Any xAP traffic on the LAN will be seen by all xAP nodes. It is up to the node to use it or ignore it. xapmcs1Wire uses the xAP dialect (schema) called Basic Status and Control (BSC). mcsXap plugin recognizes this schema and will populate the String, Value, and Status property of the HS devices based upon the content of the xAP BSC message.

Before devices are updated, the user first needs to select which xAP messages are to be associated with which xAp messages. This is done on the mcsXap setup. One aspect is to tell mcsXap that it should recognize BSC messages. The second is to accept specific messages and map these messages into HS devices.

xapmcs1Wire also has a setup that allows devices found on the 1-wire to pass through onto the xAP LAN. When this selection is made then there are some other options such as calibrations and device types that can be applied.

What this means is that you need to select a 1-wire sensor on xapmcs1wire and then later after the xAP message has been delivered on the LAN, select this messages and a HS device via mcsXap. After these two selections have been make then HS devices will be automatically updates without any other user maintenance.

If you run mcsTemperature and setup for use of DS9097/DS9490 data collection then the Dallas drivers will be downloaded automatically. Otherwise you will need to download and install them. The link to the drivers should be published in either the xapmcs1wire or mcsTemperature manuals. They have also been posted on various thread here.

Comment

Michael;

Thanks for the detailed information. I'm starting to get a handle on how this works, but I have a couple of questions concerning the specific hardware and scenario for my situation.

I want to use the Hobby Boards Six Channel Hub as mentioned above. I want to get this one wire data from this hub (temp and wind measurements) to HomeSeer devices. I also want to use graphing/charting and data storage capabilities for this data. I'm assuming mcsTemperature is the best program for this effort. I'm also assuming from your earlier posts that mcsTemperature will NOT work with this hub.

Thus one has to use xapmcs1wire for this interface. mcsTemperature will be used only as a means to extract the data that resides in the HomeSeer computer for the purposes of charting/plotting (real time and archives) and not act as a mechanism for the data collection for the one-wire devices.

I drew all of this up very quickly below.

Since I will not be using mcsTemperature as a means for data collection will any Dallas drivers be loaded? I guess I'm not sure if ANY drivers are needed for the Hobby-Board's six port hub (I'm thinking there must be).

Since mcsTemperature can not communicate directly with the Hobby Board's Hub I must use xapmcs1wire to get the data to the XAP hub, then the xap HomeSeer plugin will get the data to HomeSeer.

Did the light bulb finally come on in my head? Do I have the mcsTemperature relationship right because of me using the Hobby Boards Six Port Hub?

Again, I appreciate the help Michael.

Regards,

BSR
                Attached Files

Comment

Yes you are correct in the connectivity and you did produce a nice understandable diagram, but the hub is a very small piece of software doing a very simple function of a data router. Your diagram makes it look like it needs mainframe-level power.

Another thing to point out is that the HTTP server for xapmcs1Wire is built into xapmcs1Wire while the one in mcsTemperature uses the HS HTTP server. That means you need a different port opened for your browser than you need for HS. I've been using ports in the 8000 range for my xAP nodes.

In my configuration I use two of the other spokes of the hub to accomplish my data storage and charting. One is xapmcsDatabase and the other is xapmcsChart. These two nodes were split out from mcsTemperature and Homeseer. In my interface to ML I have ML buttons perform a requests to xapmcsChart to produce the desired graphic. mcsTemperature was not setup to be a chart server, but it is possible to kludge it with http requests with the querystring properly formatted.

xapmcs1Wire will cycle through each of the 6 ports on the hub looking for sensors. If do not have sensors connected to a port then it can be deselected on the xapmcs1wire page by changing its type from a hub. I set mine unused branch to a relay since the DS2409 in the hub behaves similar to a relay. The only reason you would deselect it is to save the cpu cycles of looking for something that is not there.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael McSharry
                    Yes you are correct in the connectivity and you did produce a nice understandable diagram, but the hub is a very small piece of software doing a very simple function of a data router. Your diagram makes it look like it needs mainframe-level power.
                    Hey, what can I say, it was to cool a graphic to make any smaller!

I corrected it below and also added your suggestions. I take it that the charts and database can exist on another computer as long as the computer has the mcsxapHub software on it so it can talk the other xAP devices. I like this scenario because it takes the database and charting's needed resources off of my precious HomeSeer computer.

It sounds like mcsTemperature might not be the best way to proceed then given the broader options of xapmcsdatabase and xapmcschart in my scenario.

One quick followup. Would you know if there would be any drivers that needed to be loaded for the Hobby Boards six port hub? Or would it just be recognized by the mcsXap software?

Thanks again for taking the time providing all of this great information!

BSR
                    Attached Files

Comment

No special drivers needed for the hub. The logic is built into xapmcs1Wire. The core Dallas 1 Wire drivers are needed on the computer(s) on which xapmcs1Wire is installed.

The nature of xAP is that any node can run on any computer on the LAN relatively transparently. Your diagram does not refect which computer is hosting which applications. It looks like you intend to use two computers which means you need two xaphubs. I would guggest that the diagram reflect both the physical and logical relationships to avoid confusion.

When looking at the distribution of resource burden then I would characterize the node's behaviors as:
                      xapmcs1Wire: burst of cpu utilizatiion during sensor polling. Figure about 1 second per sensor. RAM utilization low.
                      xapmcsDatabase: For SQL a large RAM footprint, small CPU during collection, very modest bursts during charting. For Access a smaller RAM footprint with more CPU utilization during charting when the database becomes large. Note that with Access database the PC hosting xapmcschart will need Access too and it will bear the CPU burden.
                      xapmcsChart: Small CPU burst when chart requested. RAM utilization low.

Note that I also use the EPS series Lantronix IP to Serial adapters so the hardware interfaces themselves are also independent of the computer so applications can move around without the need to recable or reconfigure. The one piece of hardware that I cannot do this with is the DS9097U and I believe it is due to its need to have timing controlled by the PC and when moved behind the EPS the tight timing cannot be controlled.

I'm not distributing the database and charting xap nodes to the general population since as you notice they obliviate the marketability of mcsTemperature. If you do have a mcsTemperature license, however, then I would be happy to give them to you. I'll put a timestamp on them so while you are riding with training wheels you can evaluate without any investment other than time. The charting is the least mature element, but its pedigree is mcsTemperature and then additions have been made.
                      Last edited by Michael McSharry; May 10, 2006, 05:33 PM.

Comment

Michael;

I would be more than happy to purchase the mcsTemperature Plugin! Even if I never used it I consider it a bargain for all the support you give via your Ocelot plugin (that I have been using for years), your xAP software (which I am about to use), and your support to this (and our) board over the years!

Will send you a PM with the registration number when I get it.

Regards,

BSR

Comment

BSR,

One thing I would like to point out is that you have been talking about the 6 Channel Hub which doesn't actually connect to the computer. You would need a USB or Serial Adaptor to connect to the computer or use the 6 Channel Master Hub which has the functionality of the 6 Channel Hub and a DS9097U Serial Adaptor in one device.

Just wanted to make sure there was no confusion.

Eric

Comment

WHAT! ME; confused!!!???

Yes, I er, hum, meant to say the Master Hub. Actually I was meaning the all in one device that had the serial port and power injector in an all inclusive unit, but pointed to the wrong device on your page.

Sorry about that and I'm glad you caught my error!

Comment

BraveSirRobin,
                              Warning, Warning, once you purchase MCSTemperature you will develop an uncontrollable desire to purchase more and more sensor devices. Much like the plant in 'little shop of horrors', it will take over.

Gardner

Comment

Working...
                              X