Jon00 check multiple email & webmail discussion V3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Webmail with file attachments

I've been playing around with a new feature to allow the sending of webmail with attachments. This is currently enabled for sending new emails only and is a bit quirky in its operation.

If you want to give it a go, backup your copy of webmail.ash and drop the two new files in the attached zip into your html/email directory.

To enable this feature, go to the checkpop.ini file and change:

[ASP_WRITE]
    Showattachment=0

to

Showattachment=1

If you wish to send an email with attachments YOU MUST ATTACH THEM FIRST.

When you call webmail.ash, you will be presented with a new button marked 'Add Attachments'. Pressing this button will take you to a new page which will allow you to upload files you wish to send with your email.

Once the files have been uploaded, you will see a list of files in the attachment field box. You can delete the file attachment names from this box and these files will not be sent when sending the email. That said, the files still remain on the server so any other changes to the email and they will appear again. You therefore need to do this last or press the reset button which will delete all files so that you can start again.

Once the email is sent the files are automatically deleted.

It is important to note that when sending a single file, this will be sent as-is, however more than one and the program will automatically zip them up and call it attachment.zip

In summary, to send an email with attachments:

1) Select the attachments to send.
    2) Select addresses from the address book
    3) Write the email
    4) Send the email

If you try this out, please let me know of any problems or is working OK.
    Last edited by jon00; July 1, 2007, 01:56 PM. Reason: Removed attachment as now available in 3.0.20
    Jon

Comment

I'm looking to upgrade the version I have(3.0.17) to the most current version. Do I just follow the same instructions as if it was a new install? I don't want to lose any of my settings...

Comment

The updater will copy your existing checkpop.ini to checkpopold.ini.

I don't think I made any changes since V3.0.17 in the ini file so you can just rename checkpopold.ini back to checkpop.ini.

Everything else is automatic.
        Jon

Comment

Jon

Comment

I forgot to set the configuration in the checkpop.ini file to allow uploading of attachments.

To enable attachments change:

Showattachment=0

to

Showattachment=1

This needs to be changed under two headings:

[ASP_WRITE] and [ASP_REPLY]

Wow! Just noticed I've had 10000 views of this thread!
            Last edited by jon00; July 2, 2007, 05:10 PM.
            Jon

Comment

V3.0.21 Released

This is only a minor update but corrects the display of certain emails. Also new wildcard method for triggering from file attachments.
              Jon

Comment

I am having trouble connecting to my gmail account. I installed stunnel, modified the stunnel.conf file according to your instructions, and then started stunnel.

I also modified the HS2 email settings following your instructions.

Then I set up a manual event to send myself a test message.

The HS2 log showed the following error message: Sending email using SMTP: The server rejected the sender address. The server response was: 530 5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS command first 74sm1054654wra

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Here's what my stunnel.conf file looks like.

; Sample stunnel configuration file by Michal Trojnara 2002-2006
                ; Some options used here may not be adequate for your particular configuration
                ; Certificate/key is needed in server mode and optional in client mode
                ; The default certificate is provided only for testing and should not
                ; be used in a production environment
                cert = stunnel.pem
                ;key = stunnel.pem
                ; Some performance tunings
                socket = l:TCP_NODELAY=1
                socket = r:TCP_NODELAY=1
                ; Workaround for Eudora bug
                ;options = DONT_INSERT_EMPTY_FRAGMENTS
                ; Authentication stuff
                ;verify = 2
                ; Don't forget to c_rehash CApath
                ;CApath = certs
                ; It's often easier to use CAfile
                ;CAfile = certs.pem
                ; Don't forget to c_rehash CRLpath
                ;CRLpath = crls
                ; Alternatively you can use CRLfile
                ;CRLfile = crls.pem
                ; Some debugging stuff useful for troubleshooting
                ;debug = 7
                ;output = stunnel.log
                ; Use it for client mode
                client = yes
                ; Service-level configuration
                ;[https]
                ;accept = 443
                ;connect = 80
                ;TIMEOUTclose = 0
                ; vim:ft=dosini
                [pop3s]
                accept = 110
                connect = pop.gmail.com:995
                [imaps]
                accept = 993
                connect = 143
                [ssmtp]
                accept = 25
                connect = smtp.gmail.com:465

Comment

In the Homeseer setup/email tab, check to see if you have configured the email as follows:

Sending Server SMTP: smtp.gmail.com:25
                  SMTP Username: gmailaccount@gmail.com
                  SMTP Password: whatever_it_is
                  Jon

Comment

Yes, HomeSeer is set up with those email settings. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

I downloaded and installed the windows version of stunnel 4.20. This gave me a new program files folder called stunnel, inside which are 8 menu choices, including run tunnel, install it, start it, edit stunnel.conf, etc.

I edited the .conf file and changed it to correspond with the settings in my previous message, then saved it, and then I ran stunnel.

I modified the HS2 email setup to the settings you mentioned, then tried to send a test email to myself. This caused no activity in the stunnel log file, but caused 4 error messages in the HomeSeer log file, followed by a message saying that the email was aborted after 4 tries.

I hope I'm not doing something obvious and stupid, but I can't get this to work at all.
                    Last edited by baudi; September 18, 2007, 09:51 AM.

Comment

Have you been able to send any e-mails with a second client...for instance Thunderbird?

I verified my settings (originally when I got G-mail working back when G-mail was not supported) by putting the appropriate settings in Thunderbird.

Then, I told thunderbird to send SLL on port 995.

That worked with the settings where Thunderbird did it's OWN SSL.

Then, I ran stunnel, and told thunderbird to talk "normal" over port 25.

IF that works, then you are golden.

If not, you are now able to see what's going on.

Then the more complex setup, is to check that HS's settings MATCH Thunderbord and let it rip!

As you are using Gmail, the other BIG thing, is MAKE sure that allow POP3 is set to yes in you Gmail account's settings.

If you don't have that, you'll never get this to work. In fact, check that FIRST!

--Dan
                      Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

I don't use Stunnel so it's difficult for me to really comment. Dan was one of the first to get HS working with Gmail/Stunnel so he is your best bet.

If you have problems sending then this is purely a Homeseer/Stunnel issue and nothing to do with the script and something wrong with the SMTP settings.

You could also try in the Homeseer settings:

Sending Server SMTP: localhost:25
                        Jon

Comment

Originally posted by jon00 View Post
                          You could also try in the Homeseer settings:

That did it! The key is setting the sending sever to localhost, not smtp.gmail.com

Thanks very much.

For the benefit of others who may want to use stunnel to access gmail from HomeSeer, here are the steps.

1. Download and install the latest verson of stunnel from here. You want the newest file that looks like this:

666435 Nov 30 16:18:49 2006 stunnel-4.20-installer.exe

2. Replace stunnel.conf in the stunnel install directoy (probably c:\program files\stunnel) with the file by the same name in the stunnel.conf.zip file attached to this message.

3. Click Start/Programs/stunnel/Run stunnel

4. Go to HomeSeer Setup/Email and enter the following:
                          SMTP Username: YOUR_EMAIL_ADDRESS@gmail.com
                          SMTP Password: YOUR_GMAIL_PASSWORD
                          5. Go to HomeSeer Events and create a manual event to send youself an email.

Hope this helps.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Yeah, I guess I had forgotten about that step!!

Stunnel interprets the SSL, so you need to tell your software to talk to the server on your system, that THEN talks to the proper ports of the actual gmail server.

It's the same thing as using putty with an SSH server. For instance with putty, the programs installed on your PC take the data packets and send them back to your PC, which then (putty) will take that data and push it out to where it has to. Same with stunnel, so, it makes sense that you have to make the data go to YOUR PC, then stunnel moves it out!

Good job figuring it out!

--Dan
                            Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

Jon00,

Get package as always!

I have one small problem that I am pulling my hair out with. I cannot view messages in HTML mode. I have no problem when I goto text mode but just get a blank message body in HTML mode. Any thoughts?

Thanks

VR

Comment

Most odd... Is this with every message?
                                Jon

Comment

Working...
                                X