No announcement yet.

Radio Shack IP Cams for $25

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've not seen anything unusual yet; odd though that I'm not catching the traffic filtering on the IP's.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Thanks Pete for looking into this for us. The first indication is that NorthQ is receiving this info from these cameras see my print screen below. Not sure why these camera are sending info to the main company.

On another note: Another user was asking about Vitamin D, I successfully configured it, if they did not find an answer yet, I can provide it to them.

Thanks,
      Aldo

Comment

Aldo, Your screen print was not attached.

When I googled "RIPE" , I saw a lot of stuff related to Russian scammers. This concerns me.

Steve Q
        HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
        2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

RIPE is just one of the half dozen or so Network Coordination organizations that hand out IP addresses. This address range happens to fall into the range that RIPE manages.

When I do a whois on that IP address, the full record from RIPE.net indicates a company called "VIP Group ApS" in Denmark. I don't have one of these cameras, but I'd see if that company has anything to do with the image you've been flashing.

Steve

Comment

Wonder what would happen if I blocked that IP address in my router, or windows firewall?

Ian
            Plugins:
            BLLogMonitor, BLGarbage, BLBackup, BLOutGoingCalls, BLUps, BLRfid, JvEss, DooMotion, Applied Digital Ocelot, AC RF Processor, UltraMon, PJC AVR 430, UPB, Rain8net, DSC Panel, JRiver Media center, Windows Media Player, SageMediaCenter, SnevlCID, MCSTemperature.

Comment

I'm blocking it and it doesn't affect the camera usage.
              - Pete

Auto mator
              Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
              Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Turned Off

I only have a couple, but have turned them off. If someone can confirm that no data is leaking, it would be cool.

Comment

I have put the IP address on my routers blocked list, but I am not seeing any messages indicating the router is actually blocking outgoing traffic. (Yes, my camera also works fine). Perhaps I'm wrong but isn't the camera "outside" the firewall so the computer firewall can't prevent it from sending.

Steve Q
                  HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
                  2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

I see that my print screen is below, I attached it again, It indicates going to NorthQ site. I used this http://www.whatismyip.com/tools/ip-address-lookup.asp to lookup the ip address and it gave me good details, it was going to NorthQ.
                    I blocked the port 8802 and from the log file it seeems that is blocking the ip address to go out.
                    I emaild NorthQ as well about this but no responses as well.
                    Attached Files

Comment

I left Sniffer Pro on for a period of time with just a filter to see any traffic between the camera and the outside IP and didn't see anything.

You can prevent it from sending anything outside your LAN by changing the gateway/DNS settings to nothing (removing them). As I am doing another proxy; it doesn't matter for me.

Try a port scan on the camera/services; it seems to be only standard ports.

BUT I am not catching the higher ports internally being utilized for the IP in question.

I've also written to the company asking about the firmware; no reply yet.

I'll try again.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Pete; May 6, 2011, 08:37 AM.
                      - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

I tried establishing a TCP connection with that IP/port, and it isn't responding at all, like nothing is listening (time out, not a reject). So I am guessing that's why your sniffer isn't revealing anything.
                        HSPRO 2.4 (ESXi 4.1) | my.Alert NEW | my.Trigger | HSTouch | ACRF2 | UltraM1G | BLWeather | BLLan | Rover
                        (aka xplosiv)
                        Do You Cocoon? Home Automation News, Tutorials, Reviews, Forums & Chat

Comment

It could have been set up to just do a quick call home for number of cameras being utilized at one time; maybe no longer being utilized?

I looked at the firmware with a hex editor and it appears just to be some small linux kernal compressed. It doesn't appear encrypted though.

Easiest way though would be to JTAG it and look; not really worth the effort for me though.
                          - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Just a quick update, I sent several emails to NorthQ without a response. Right now I have it blocked by IP address and by port.

Comment

www.google.comwww.myip.dk

Comment

Hello Aldo,

Great news! I'm guessing that they were confused and not understanding the emails relating to said questions.

Your persistence paid off.

I retranslated it to:

Hi Aldo,

Thank you for contacting ang your IP camera.

The IP address of the camera "send" - is the IP your network is where the camera is configured.

- Like an Internet address can be called: www.google.com - one side can also be called eg 155.34.22.1. - and by typing this address in your browser, you will be able to access this page.

The port number that the camera is also send - about which port to be opened in your router / firewall - so that it actually can post video on the web.

If your camera is set to port: 8802, open this port in your router / wire wall - then you will be able to access the camera from every Internet connection, enter your IP address (available on www.myip.dk) followed the port number. example 199.44.44.2:8802.

Hope you could use the answer.

Yours / sincerely yours
                                Its using a dynamic DNS service that they set up for accesssing your camera from the internet is what he is saying. IE: Panasonic does this with their IP cameras (and many other IPCamera companies).

If you configure your camera for external access via the manual then you can get your camera whenever via the DNS name provided.

The company is providing a dynamic DNS service such that you can access your camera just using their DNS domain name and not have to worry about your dynamic internet IP address.

From the manual: (which I really never read).

Internet Features
                                • User-definable HTTP port number. This allows Internet Gateways to use "port mapping" so the Network Camera and a Web Server can share the same Internet IP address.
                                • DDNS Support. In order to view video over the Internet, users must know the Internet IP address of the gateway used by the Network Camera. But if the Gateway has a dynamic IP address, DDNS (Dynamic DNS) is required. Since many existing Gateways do not support DDNS, this function is incorporated into the Network Camera.
                                • NTP (Network-Time-Protocol) Support. NTP allows the Network Camera to calibrate its internal clock from an Internet Time-Server. This ensures that the time stamp on Video from the Network Camera will be correct.
                                So I glanced thru the manual and while it saids that its set up to use DDNS (Dynamic DNS service); it doesn't specfically say anything about setting up the camera with their dynamic DNS service. I'm guessing that there might be another manual out there for the camera that states this or maybe they just put this feature verbiage in a manual written for folks in Europe only??

The set up page mentions EUALARM dot TV and the site does show their camera. He seemed to write as if its just a free service but I don't really see a way to set it up with the FW in the camera. Probably just a local Danish DDNS service that they have configured for the cameras.

In conclusion then I wouldn't worry about it.
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by Pete; May 16, 2011, 10:48 AM.
                                - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Working...
                                X