No announcement yet.

cold weather affecting X10 hardware?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well my x10 floodlights aren't working anymore either, we just had an icestorm (eventho it's around 30F outside), so I assume it screwed up the motion sensor or something. WAF is way down.
    HSPRO 2.4 (ESXi 4.1) | my.Alert NEW | my.Trigger | HSTouch | ACRF2 | UltraM1G | BLWeather | BLLan | Rover
    (aka xplosiv)
    Do You Cocoon? Home Automation News, Tutorials, Reviews, Forums & Chat

Comment

Both my x-10 floodlights and x-10 floodcam have gotten even more unreliable than usual during this period of snow and ice.

HomeSeer Status

Comment

Ok so it isn't just me anymore. I guess it's time to read the manual and see what the specs are on the operating temps (eventho I don't see why the floodlights wouldn't work if the reguler motion sensor based floodlights do work in the same weather conditions).
        HSPRO 2.4 (ESXi 4.1) | my.Alert NEW | my.Trigger | HSTouch | ACRF2 | UltraM1G | BLWeather | BLLan | Rover
        (aka xplosiv)
        Do You Cocoon? Home Automation News, Tutorials, Reviews, Forums & Chat

Comment

I've got a Hawkeye II in my garage and it just doesn't work below 40 degrees. When it warms up during the day it starts working but then when the sun goes down and the garage cools down, nadda. Guess I need to go hardwired? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

Comment

my modules in my garage stop working at about -30. Are there any modules that are meant for cold weather. Because here in Saskatchewan it gets a lot colder than -30.

Comment

Nope but you could always do some weather proofing to the module your self. I did read where one person coated an appliance module with that expanding form to help seal out the cold.
              💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by Electron
                Ok so it isn't just me anymore. I guess it's time to read the manual and see what the specs are on the operating temps (eventho I don't see why the floodlights wouldn't work if the reguler motion sensor based floodlights do work in the same weather conditions).
                I think one advantage is that heat from the house is getting to floodlight assembly. I have 4 supersockets on the outside of my house for landscape lights and seasonal lights. One is in a detached garage. (Supersockets replace a regular outlet and go in a one gang box). So all 4 are getting some warmth from the structure. The lowest temperature I get is -20s (but not frequently), I have not caught them not firing. Maybe it being a hard relay instead of a circuit helps too.

Paul
                Paul

Comment

Wow. I'd better check to see if my stuff will cope with the San Diego winter weather.

Comment

Sounds like a condensation problem to me. Which could explain why some people have problems and some don't. And the motion detectors may not work below -10 C or about -14 F.

Comment

My powerflash unit (detecting garage door status) in my garage has been working consistantly for 3 winters. The one on my driveway gate has been good for a one winter. BOTH of them are acting up at this time! I was thinking that it was possibly the actual contacts & not the PF units. ?? Temps below 10F cause a problem for me.

Larry - in Detroit - 15F at this time
                      Larry

Comment

Working...
                      X