GC100 using serial to control Pioneer Receiver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GC100 using serial to control Pioneer Receiver

Is anyone using the GC100 and Homeseer to control a Pioneer receiver via Serial?

Is anyone using the serial connection at all? If so, could you post some instructions on how to configure and ideally and example script.

I have the RS232 guide for my Pioneer, I now need to figure out the script syntax and how to trigger it from HSPRO

Any help much appreciated

Jon

Hi Jon,

I also have a pioneer amp. I just got my GC100 yesterday, still trying to figure this thing out. Dosent seem so easy. I am having problems downloading the GC IR Learner file. The docs for this thing seem to stink.
    I am slowly fumbiling through the IR side of things as well.

I would love to know what you came up with for your Pioneer script, if anything. otherwise maybe we can work on one together.

let me know your thoughts.

Michael

Comment

Hi MBrett,
      You are right - the GC100 plugin and docs are not very user friendly at all - its taken me a few weeks to even get the basics figured out. Kenm has really been a great help and explained the script side of things to me (which is not really connected to the GC-100 at all), but I can help you achieve what I have got to which is:

Using COM port redirection software to use the serial ports on the GC100 to control a Pioneer Amp via RS232

Using the GC-IRL to learn commands to control a Pioneer plasma via IR

Both are working now, so let me know what area you want to attack first.

What model Pioneer receiver do you have?

Jon

Comment

Jon,

thanks for the quickie..

Would you be able to send me the script you have I might be able to search through it and change it to meet my needs. Model Amp is the Pioneer VSX-92-TXH.

Also I have a Panasonic projector I will be looking to control as well. of course much more limited commands, like just on and off.

Any pointers for the IR side of things?

Any reason why people are just posting and sharing their scripts?

Comment

Hi, Attached is the script for the Pioneer VSX-82TXS. I can't take the credit for it - KenM wrote it for me based on the protocol document that can be found here

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pi..._Protocols.pdf

The thread for our learnings on this matter is here

http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=123350

Also, for your IR, I might be telling you the long way round, but this is what I did. First, delete anything you have made already (in terms of GC100 config) as it confused me when I was troubleshooting. Create the device and add the IP address.

Then create your IR zone, So if you have a Pioneer Plasma to control, make a zone called Pioneer plasma, and (depending on what model GC100 you have), determine the module and device connector. If its the GC-12 or 18, then you have device modules at location 4 and 5, and you have three connectors on each module. So if the first device you want to control is on the left most IR socket, then this is module 4 connector 1.

Now, I assume you have the GC-IRL. Assuming you want to use the GC100 to get the IR codes, you need to use a peice of software called Lantronix to redirect your COM calls to the IP address of the GC100. Lantronix can be found here. Ensure you use v3 not v4.

http://ltxfaq.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/l...hp?p_faqid=928

Set it up so that COM7 is redirected to yourgc100IPaddress and port 4999, so in my case it was 10.0.1.6:4999. You also need to change the port settings in Lantronix to Raw Mode for it to work.

Now, dowload the GC-IRL IR Learner utility from Global Cache web site and you should be able to talk to the GC-IRL plugged in the first serial port on the GC. Once it connects, let me know and I will explain the next bit.

Jon
          Attached Files

Comment

Jon,

sorry for the delay.. had some work around the house to do yesterday.

I have been looking over all of these docs and here are my thoughts.
            1) first I need to get the GCIRL.. either I will make one today or order it. the reason I didnt buy it is because I already have ALL of my codes by device in a DB for USBUIRT and I was hopeing I could use those and convert them. it seems to be a little difficult even though I found a GC-CCF converter..
            2) it seems that you guys are using the pioneer.TXT script to track the changes and status of the AMP only, not use it to send commands as well. (is this correct?)
            3) the redirector get installed on the PC with HS?
            4) yes I have the GC12-18. I got the module thing figured out as to which is which..
            5) I will delete the plugin from HS shortly and start over as you described.

Comment

Hi Mbrett,

1) You will only need a GC-IRL to control IR devices, you can get the Pioneer working via serial without this. I control my receiver by serial and my plasma by IR. I tried to avoid buying a GC-IRL but couldn't get the codes in the right format - now I have one it worked immediately.

2) The Pioneer.txt script checks the status, but you can use it to send a command - e.g. &hs.RunEx "Pioneer.txt", "SendCommand", "PF" added as a script call in an event would turn the receiver off. The receiver would then respond with a status update which will update the device status is HS. You should be able to control all Pioneer functions this way (once I have added all the other features to the script - its slow work but I did some yesterday.

3) The redirector needs to be installed manually, HS does not install it. GC-100 does have some built in redirection for serial, but I can't understand the manual to get it working - this method works regardless of the GC100 with any COM device. For now I will stick with it, maybe in the future I will understand the GC-100 better, but as you say the docs are lousy.

Good luck - it takes some time but it works reliably once set up - and I learnt a great deal getting there

Jon

Comment

Thanks Jon,

I was just reading the thread between you and ken, WOW chock full of info.. I have a much better understanding now of how this entire thing works.

I am going to order the GCIRL tomorrow so that I can get my other devices up and working. and will play with the scripts in the meantime for the serial.

I am currently using Homseer and Mainlobby together to get the same function that I hope to have from Homseer alone. with the addition of HST, it seems to be much more responsive and userfrienldy. The only problem is of course rebuilding everything that has been working reliably (but slowly) for a few years now.

my current setup is Homeseer on one computer with the ML Server and then another computer in my theater running ML Server again to execute remote commands on the equipment. My goal is to eliminate the computer in the theater completely and replace it with the GC to execute IR and Serial commands on the projector and the Pioneer Amp.

I don't expect it to happen overnight, however I am a little disappointed at the GC, I expected it to be a little more user friendly, and the HS plugin seems to be a BEAR... My fault I, should have looked and dont the research before I leaped.. there are enough frustrated people out there that I am sure I would have stumbled across a thread or two.

Comment

Originally posted by nojstevens View Post
                  Is anyone using the GC100 and Homeseer to control a Pioneer receiver via Serial?

Is anyone using the serial connection at all? If so, could you post some instructions on how to configure and ideally and example script.

I have the RS232 guide for my Pioneer, I now need to figure out the script syntax and how to trigger it from HSPRO

Any help much appreciated

Jon
                  Hello Jon,

I use my GC100 to control our Sony CX777ES 400 DVD changer via the RS232 port. It works as advertised, however it is going through the CX777 Plug-in from the downloader. I use the IR ports to control everything else, including our Sharp TV, Sony AV/Tuner and TiVo HD Cable Tuner.

I know this doesn't help your Pioneer issue, but at least you know the GC100 RS232 functionaly does work with the current version of HS. You may want to contact the person who developed the plug-in for the Sony changer to see if he'd lend some support for your application.
                  -Todd

____________________________________________________________ ________________
                  HS2Pro: 2.5.0.81 :: HS3Pro (beta) || Plugins:| SmartHome PowerLinc USB, Global Cache, BLBackup, DooCPU Monitor, DooMotion, BLOutlook, BLIcon, BLOutgoingCalls, OutgoingCalls, ROC-Rnd, HSTouch iPhone, UPS Monitor, DooMenuBar, BLSpeech, HSTouch Server, WAF AB8SS, mcsTemperature, VWS, BLChart, RFXCOM, ISY Insteon, iAutomate RFID, iTunes, NetCAM, DSC Security, Nest

Comment

Thanks Todd - I have it working now - Kenm helped me modify the Denon script to work with the Pioneer protocol. I am using the GC100 serial port to connect, but not really the GC100 plugin to manage the communication - the documentation is a bit beyond me. I am simply portredirecting COM7 to 10.0.1.6:4999 and then using standard COM calls.

Working very nicely though - thanks for your input

Jon

Comment

Originally posted by mbrett View Post
                      Thanks Jon,

I was just reading the thread between you and ken, WOW chock full of info.. I have a much better understanding now of how this entire thing works.

I am going to order the GCIRL tomorrow so that I can get my other devices up and working. and will play with the scripts in the meantime for the serial.

I am currently using Homseer and Mainlobby together to get the same function that I hope to have from Homseer alone. with the addition of HST, it seems to be much more responsive and userfrienldy. The only problem is of course rebuilding everything that has been working reliably (but slowly) for a few years now.

my current setup is Homeseer on one computer with the ML Server and then another computer in my theater running ML Server again to execute remote commands on the equipment. My goal is to eliminate the computer in the theater completely and replace it with the GC to execute IR and Serial commands on the projector and the Pioneer Amp.

I don't expect it to happen overnight, however I am a little disappointed at the GC, I expected it to be a little more user friendly, and the HS plugin seems to be a BEAR... My fault I, should have looked and dont the research before I leaped.. there are enough frustrated people out there that I am sure I would have stumbled across a thread or two.
                      mbrett,

I am in the process of migrating from Indigo on the mac to HSPRO - slow process but the capabilities of HS compared to Indigo are vast. Really enjoying the process. I've seen a few people refer to MainLobby, but I'm not sure I understand its use - can everything MainLobby does be done in HSPRO?

I agree - the GC is a good device but is let down by documentation and a plugin that is not really that easy to understand. The Global Cache web site doesn't help much either. Out of all the devices I have integrated in the last month, GC has taken more of my time than anything else, only now am I starting to understand how it works, and as for serial use, i've abandoned trying to use the GC plugin and am simply using COM calls.

Jon

Comment

Jon, Michael,

Let me know if you need any help with your serial control scripts. I have 7 ethernet-serial adapters (Tibbo and Sena Tech) running using comport redirection and I've found them to be very reliable. I've only had a single command failure in the 5 months I've been using this method.

I have a separate control network in my house that has only the serial adapters on it with the following:

- Sharp Aquos LCD TV
                        - Denon AVR-4308CI
                        - Aprilaire (Enerzone) Statnet thermostats
                        - Temp05 1-wire sensor network
                        - Custom 32 zone irrigation controller (based on Ontrak ADR-2200)
                        - Custom 16 zone landscape lighting controller (based on Ontrak ADR-2200)
                        - Custom security system (custom panel plus Ontrak AVR-8000 video mux)

I've written a number of HS plugins over time but I'm finding it much more rewarding to write scripts that folks can learn from and modify to fit their needs. If you'd like to see some functionality added to the basic control script let me know.

Also, If someone can post the help file for the GC-100 plug-in (you can't get to it without installing the plug-in) I'd be happy to look at supporting serial communication through the plug-in without having to do the comport redirection.

Ken
                        "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

Originally posted by kenm View Post
                          Jon, Michael,

Let me know if you need any help with your serial control scripts. I have 7 ethernet-serial adapters (Tibbo and Sena Tech) running using comport redirection and I've found them to be very reliable. I've only had a single command failure in the 5 months I've been using this method.

I have a separate control network in my house that has only the serial adapters on it with the following:

- Sharp Aquos LCD TV
                          - Denon AVR-4308CI
                          - Aprilaire (Enerzone) Statnet thermostats
                          - Temp05 1-wire sensor network
                          - Custom 32 zone irrigation controller (based on Ontrak ADR-2200)
                          - Custom 16 zone landscape lighting controller (based on Ontrak ADR-2200)
                          - Custom security system (custom panel plus Ontrak AVR-8000 video mux)

I've written a number of HS plugins over time but I'm finding it much more rewarding to write scripts that folks can learn from and modify to fit their needs. If you'd like to see some functionality added to the basic control script let me know.

Also, If someone can post the help file for the GC-100 plug-in (you can't get to it without installing the plug-in) I'd be happy to look at supporting serial communication through the plug-in without having to do the comport redirection.

Ken
                          Hi Kenm

The closest manual I have found to being understandable is here:

http://www.homeseer.com/pdfs/guides/...che_Plugin.pdf

I understand the IR bits but the serial bits go straight over my head. I think it assumes some vb knowledge, which I don't have (yet)

Jon

Comment

Hey Ken,

I am very impressed by your list of equipment being controlled by serial, and embarrased at the same time.

Any thoughts to devloping a generic serial plugin that would utilize a database so that the user can enter the data for any device?

I would love some help and guidance on getting this done.

thanks

Comment

Hey Guys,

any updates with this.. I still have not gotten my GC working with with Serial stuff yet.. Not that I have really spent that much time on it either, but I was just wondering if there will be easier solution any time soon.

MB

Comment

Working...
                              X