This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What tablet for wall mounting?

Is anyone actually mounting tablets on the wall for HSTouch use?

What's the cheapest tablets going that can be dedicated for wall mounting? How are you mounting them and powering them?

What is the WAF on these?
    -Tim

HSPro - 3.XXX - Dell mini W7 x32
    Way2 Call
    Elk M1 Gold
    UPB HAI switches
    HAI RC2000 Thermostat

Hi Tim,

I have actually bought 2 x Wopad V7+ tablets a week ago. I want to use it in the kitchen. WAF is a big influencer, so I am looking at frame mounting the tablet at a local photo frame shop and leaving a few cm's at all sides internally so that I can connect the power and then only need to drill a small hole in the cupboard for power. Tablet will be on all the time and I will use the screen dim/bright feature together with my Z-Wave motion detector.

Still sit with the problem to access the power button as I don't want to take it off the wall too often.

I have looked at getting a local laser cutting company to make a dedicated aluminium frame with holes for the power and with extra space on the sides for the power, and to also slide the tablet in/out, but this is proving to be a bit expensive for only 2 tablets. Would definitely be 1st prize as it will look aesthetically brilliant.

Let us know your thoughts as I think a lot of people here would be very interested in a good solution that don't have a cables sticking out.

Comment

I'd like to see how your experiment goes with the Wopad. I'm leaning toward the idea of a < $100 android tablet.

I have a couple of iPads a 1 and 2. I really like this mount, especially the flush version. Not sure I could get that past the WAF though ;-).

The nice thing about this mount is that you put a photo in it so when the iPad is out, it still has a function.
      -Tim

Way2 Call
      Elk M1 Gold
      UPB HAI switches
      HAI RC2000 Thermostat

Comment

some year i would love to do a tablet on each wall in the bedrooms and all that.. so subscribing to see what yall r doing..

i have a full PC with 19" widescreen flatpanel in the kitchen so no need there...
        HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

im using first GEN16 gig WiFI only iPADs for wall mount using iPAD wall bracket mount.. I have the USB cable going down through the wall to the basement where it plugs into its Cube and a ceiling mounted outlet in the basement to power it.. I just leave its screen on all the time.. it seems pretty reliable at this point running HSTouch...
          -Christopher
          PerfecTemp - the Most advanced HVAC system I've ever Built - and its in my House

Comment

I took my iPad box and inserted it into a regular 8x10 picture frame. With a little elbow grease, tape, and such, I now have a wall pad as my son calls it..l
            HomeSeer 2, HomeSeer 3, Allonis myServer, Amazon Alexa Dots, ELK M1G, ISY 994i, HomeKit, BlueIris, and 6 "4k" Cameras using NVR, and integration between all of these systems. Home Automation since 1980.

Comment

Some pictures will be nice

Comment

Love to see some pictures too.

How is the iPad or other tablet working on a normal basis?

I can imagine walking up to it hanging on the wall then what? Sliding it on to wake it up then start the app? Or is it always on and connected to HS?

What is the WAF? I've already been instructed about not making anymore 'big holes' in the wall! ;-)
                -Tim

Way2 Call
                Elk M1 Gold
                UPB HAI switches
                HAI RC2000 Thermostat

Comment

I still get questioned about the "hole" in the Living Room wall from years ago.

The response has always been to "talk" around it...

- Pete

Auto mator
                  Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                  Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                  HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                  HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Pete, you must have a golden tongue. :-)

Originally posted by Pete View Post
                    I still get questioned about the "hole" in the Living Room wall from years ago.

The response has always been to "talk" around it...

Don

Comment

Some picture would be nice

Comment

My wife is used to me doing everything around the house; repairs et al. She is very patient; except when I have to shut down the water to sweat copper pipes type stuff....

Last week the window regulator went out on my car (its old but only has about 25k on the odometer). The regulator was only $25. Removing the door, electronics and windows was very time consuming. The "pro" step by step made it look like a 10 minute job; where as it took me like two hours.

Its the "hole" thing versus mounting "on" the wall thing. With a wireless tablet it makes things like this much easier. I did put a custom frame around the 12" original LCD.

Somewhere in this forum is a whole pictorial I did when I demolished and totally redid the living room. The "redoo" included the in wall speakers, 1-wire sensors, electrical updates, motion sensors, wall speaker control box, finishing and sanding and finally painting. Its not "done" yet as I am into the "old fashioned" wood floor thing and the main floor is about 90% wood floors. Last room on the main floor that needs to be done. My preference over the already finished prestained stapled floor is the unfinished wood, sanding and filling the holes, staining and finishing. A bit more involved time wise; but it looks much nicer than the stapled down prefab flooring.

I'm not sure if the pictorial is still there; it would be from probably 2005-6 or so. We rarely even use the room; but I still took too long to finish it (according to the spouse). We used to put the Christmas tree there; last few years though we've gone to the smaller already decorated stored in the attic tree that goes up in about 5 minutes.

The Kitchen LCD's (2) and the Laundry room LCD was time consuming with the mounting brackets and stuff but it looks nice. One LCD is near the dining nook and flush mounted to the wall with "in wall" mounted next to the bracket power and keystone jacks. I had to find small thin footprint cabling that fit behind the LCD. (this was my first attempt to "finish" a flush mounted LCD TV) Same process/procedures can be utilized for a flush mounted touchscreen. This one has 2 Cat5E Keystone jacks, HDMI, RG6 behind it set in the cavity type keystone mounting brackets. The whole "thing" with doing stuff like this is to be patient and take your time doing it in a step by step manner. Just running and bending pipe for the electrical conduit going to the recessed power box for the flush mounted LCD TV was an endeavor as I ran it from the basement. (one "session" worth of work and I am still learning the "art" of pipe bending conduit").
                        Last edited by Pete; March 8, 2012, 03:22 PM.
                        - Pete

Auto mator
                        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                        HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                        HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Working...
                        X