X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, I am torn on this one. George put so much "extra" stuff in there; windows UI, features I do not even understand, etc. and it was written so long ago that the conversion would take some time, and I already have at least four other personal plug-ins that I need to convert on my own time! If it happens, it will not be right away! I may use a combination of the old speak proxy plug-in I wrote long ago (which would be super easy to convert) and whatever plug-in is running my speakers (in my case Ocelot) to kluge up a solution until I get around to working on it, if I ever do. Would gladly hand the source code over to anybody who wants to take it over. George said he was interested but I do not think he has the time either.
    Regards,

Rick Tinker (a.k.a. "Tink")

Comment

Tink, this is a show stopper for me. I need something that can easily control a Relay8 or ADIOcelot to switch speakers. The functionality where you can embed commands in the speech text to operate speaker "scenes" is vital to my household. It would take gobs of event coding to even start replicating the features.

Just out out of curiosity, how do you do switching in your home? I can't afford to deploy a bunch of PC's with the HS Speaker program on them. I'm open to other ideas of handling the speaker switching with other plugins to achieve the same goals.

Right now, without the Ocelot plugins working or SpeakEasy plugin, I've got a product I can't convert to and will be stuck with HS2.

Comment

I am in the same boat, and Rich is working on the Adicon plug-in so that is suppose to be coming to fix half the battle, but after 12 years of operation, my relays on the Adicon module controlling the speakers are worn down - they make a noise but don't really make contact anymore - I need to switch them out and since they are not made anymore, I will go with something else.

At any rate, I too need to fix it, but I am already knee deep in work that I need to do for my own system and plug-ins that I wrote much less George's! Besides regular HomeSeer work, I have FOUR other plug-ins in queue to be upgraded to HS3.

So I am not saying that I won't do it, just that it is not likely to get done in a timely manner, so I will gladly turn it over to anybody who wants to run with it. I do queuing in my speak events, but I can do that with IsSpeaking and that one will be EASY to convert (or I could potentially use Sonos or one of the others that does speak queing), and so the only thing I am missing from SpeakEasy is the ability to specify the speak location and volume right in the text to be spoken, and that I can either live without or temporarily handle with a script until SpeakEasy is done.

I am all ears if you know somebody else willing to convert it earlier, but until the number of hours in a day increases I cannot make any promises.
        Regards,

Comment

I just ordered a Relay8 from you guys to try to replace the Adicon relay unit. Unfortunately, it is not supported by Speakeasy on HS2 nor by BLSpeak on HS3 so I still haven't found a solution. I'd think that the rewrite of Speakeasy could pretty easily add the Relay8 control along with the other 5 or 6 it has.

I'll have to play with the Relay8 plugin to see what sort of devices are created. The BLSpeak plugin will address X10 devices but I don't think I can fake it out to talk to the Relay8.

My goal right now is to eliminate all or as much X10 as I can but I've gotta have my zone control for speaking.

I'll wait to see what develops and hang in here with HS2 for now. The compelling reason for going to HS3 is the instant status of my Jasco/GE modules. Its allows me to automate things that I formerly could only do with X10 like having all outside light switches cut on any time one of them is pressed, etc. That way I don't need a ridiculously expensive zone or scene controller.

I know. Growing pains will be here for awhile.

Comment

One of the 'under the hood' improvements in HS3 is how we have gone fully extensible on device control. If the devices were created properly and the plug-in is not trying to do an end-around and is using CAPI, then any plug-in should be able to control any device.
            Regards,

Comment

Originally posted by kennesaw10 View Post
              I just ordered a Relay8 from you guys to try to replace the Adicon relay unit. Unfortunately, it is not supported by Speakeasy on HS2 nor by BLSpeak on HS3 so I still haven't found a solution. I'd think that the rewrite of Speakeasy could pretty easily add the Relay8 control along with the other 5 or 6 it has.

I'll have to play with the Relay8 plugin to see what sort of devices are created. The BLSpeak plugin will address X10 devices but I don't think I can fake it out to talk to the Relay8.
              Before you get too into the Relay8 just an FYI. The Relay8 plug-in is not working for HS3 yet. I have a bugzilla report in on it.

I also use BLSpeech and you can pretty much make it do or control anything you want. I use speakers controlled via UPB modules but could just as easily use Relay8 devices.
              Marty
              ------
              XPpro SP3 /w HS Standard 2.5.0.80, HSTouch Server - 1.0.0.70, HSTouch Client 1.0.0.73 HSTouch Android - 1.0.0.2, HSTouch iPhone - 1.0.0.2
              Playing with HS3 a bit but it's just play at this point.

Comment

Well I got my Relay8 today and was pleased to see an option in my HS2 SpeakEasy plugin to control HS devices. I plugged in the code for the Relay8 devices and everything works just fine.

If HS does not want to convert SpeakEasy, perhaps we can get Blade to modify BLSpeech to control HS devices as well. I've put a note on his discussion board.

If I can get this working, I'm pretty much dumping my Ocelot. I had been using it for X10 control and relay switching only. It does not look like the HS3 Ocelot plugin will be out here anytime soon either.

Comment

BLSpeech Has Been Modified

The BLSpeech plugin has been modified to handle an HS devices for on/off control. I assume Blade uses the CAPI ability in HS3.

You can now use the Relay8 or other devices controlled by device codes in the BLSpeech plugin. This will enable me to dump the Ocelot and use the Relay8 for speaker switching and I am abandoning the rest of my X10 stuff that wasa controlled by the Ocelot. I gave up on Infrared stuff long ago.

I like SpeakEasy and have used it for years, but if it can't be kept up-to-date, then BLSpeech is an excellent replacement.

Comment

Originally posted by nightwalker View Post
                    Before you get too into the Relay8 just an FYI. The Relay8 plug-in is not working for HS3 yet. I have a bugzilla report in on it.
                    Hmmm. My Relay8 is working just fine. On HS2, it works perfectly with SpeakEasy and with HS3, it now works with the BLSpeech plugin. I've had no issues with timeout or poll errors. I just wish it supported an "All On" or "All Off" command in HS3 as the plugin does in HS2.

Comment

Originally posted by kennesaw10 View Post
                      Hmmm. My Relay8 is working just fine. On HS2, it works perfectly with SpeakEasy and with HS3, it now works with the BLSpeech plugin. I've had no issues with timeout or poll errors. I just wish it supported an "All On" or "All Off" command in HS3 as the plugin does in HS2.
                      It does have a all off but no all on. I use my relay8 for decorative LED lighting around the house and have found that depending on what's on other relays will come on or go off, especially in the 4 to 8 range. For example if I turn on the relay for number 5, number 2 and 3 will go off. I've also gotten lots of log errors about polling. I forget who was working on it before CES but they confirmed and promised to look at the problem. Hopefully that will be soon. I get lots of these types of errors in the HS3 log.

2/16/2014 12:42:19 PM ~!~Rain8~!~Error in Poll Thread, Conversion from string "0F" to type 'Long' is not valid.
                      2/16/2014 12:43:19 PM ~!~Rain8~!~Error in Poll Thread, Conversion from string "0F" to type 'Long' is not valid.
                      2/16/2014 12:44:19 PM ~!~Rain8~!~Error in Poll Thread, Conversion from string "0F" to type 'Long' is not valid.
                      2/16/2014 12:46:19 PM ~!~Rain8~!~Error in Poll Thread, Conversion from string "EF" to type 'Long' is not valid.

This is in HS3, in HS2 it all works perfectly, has for years. Makes me wonder what's different between your system and mine. Right now the only thing sort of working in my HS3 system is the Relay8 plug-in. It was where I decided to start my quest for a HS3 update while waiting for UPB to be updated.
                      Last edited by nightwalker; February 16, 2014, 12:43 PM.
                      Marty
                      ------
                      XPpro SP3 /w HS Standard 2.5.0.80, HSTouch Server - 1.0.0.70, HSTouch Client 1.0.0.73 HSTouch Android - 1.0.0.2, HSTouch iPhone - 1.0.0.2
                      Playing with HS3 a bit but it's just play at this point.

Comment

Relay8 FollowUp

Just updating my experiences after using the Relay8 for awhile.....

I'm using the Relay8 with this plugin in HS2 with no issues at all.

For my HS3 testing, the BLSpeech plugin has been modified to handle CAPI calls to any devices specified so it is able to control the Relay8. For those who want to switch speakers, this is a good alternative in HS3. I've had absolutely no switching issues with my Relay8 and the BLSpeech plugin.

Comment

Any News

I am finally making the move away from HS2 and the one thing slowing progress is speacker switching, I have been using Speakeasy forever, with a plugin that converted my printer port on my computer to be able to control 12 relays. I don't think the old PPort plugin will work and soon it will be time to update my HS box so the printer port will not exist on new system so I am intreged by the rain8 relay board.

Any feed back would be good. Is it working for you? I have hard wired speakers in 12 rooms and the thought of losing them is bad. Family relies on it for all kinds of stuff
                          Kirk

http://cleverhouseautomation.ca
                          http://southcoastwebsitedesign.ca

Comment

Sean,

Sorry, I've been gone so long. I'm back and working on upgrading my current environment. May be a few weeks but I rely on SpeakEasy greatly. So it will be one of the first I make compatible.

I have an HS2 version that I was going to put into beta that I could give you. But it assumes you are still running HS2. HS3 I still have to install and retro-fit it to run on HS3.

Let me know if you have HS2 and I can send you the code.

Thanks and sorry for being in the wind.

George

Comment

Working...
                            X