This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

George,

How are you doing? Hope all is well on your end. I was wondering what the status is on the .NET version of SpeakEasy? I'm trying to clear any old plug-in that I have and would love to continue using your product. Thanks

Comment

Playing Wav Files

I am still wondering how to play wav files withSpeakeasy. Has anyone been able to do this?

Comment

Bump.....

Comment

Good afternoon,

I wanted to know if you plan to support your program anymore. It has been quite awhile since I heard or seen anything as far as improvements or support for a .NET version. I'm at the point (actually past the point) on waiting around for any further developments. If you do not plan to do anything else could you please let me know so that I can go elsewhere. I do like SpeakEasy alot and have used it for a couple of years now however, I would like to have a .NET version along the the support.

Respectfully

Comment

Sean,

Please let me applogize. I've taken on a new job that just has me buried. Yes, with the help of Rick Tinker, there is a .NET version. I just have not had the time to get my home systems up to speed so I can properly support it.

Let me talk with Tink and maybe we can work something out.

George

Comment

I understand that alot has been on your plate however, its has been awhile since we have seen anything in the way of a .NET version or improvements on the old version. Even though SpeakEasy has been solid, I believe it is the cause of some lag in my system. I'm also in the process of running everything in .NET for which HST has developed their system for. SpeakEasy is the one of two plugins that I have left that is not .NET. Even all my scripts are .NET. I have notice a huge increase in preformance each time I upgade plug-in or scripts to .NET. I guess my question for your would be.... I know you just responded but do you have a timeframe of when releasing .NET version will happen? If it is going to be awhile or if you cannot release a .NET version shortly, would you be opposed to another author writing a plug-in like SpeakEasy?

Respectfully,

Comment

Ok all, good news.

Watch this space.

I spoke with the Tink-miester things will happen soon with the .NET version of SpeakEasy.

George

Comment

OK folks - here's the deal. I took a stab LONG ago at converting this plug-in, both to get more experience on converting code, and to give George a hand learning .NET. I got it to the point where it worked, and kept sending George updates, but then I let it go because I had a working .NET plug-in.

Back in January, I got tired of one recurring bug, which was that the queuing would work once, but not again unless HS was restarted. I spent a couple of evenings in front of the TV getting rid of the rest of the old syntax and methods for doing things to try to make the plug-in cleaner and to see if I could fix the bug. I did fix the bug, but I cannot guarantee that I did not remove some functionality for devices/features that I was not using, because I was under the impression George would eventually take it back and I could either keep the version I had as an orphan or go back to George's .NET version.

After speaking with George, I do not know what the future of the plug-in is going to be because I am not sure if I am going to take it over or if George will have to find somebody else, or put the source code in the public domain.

In the meantime, however, let's see how well the version I am using works with people interested in it.

The configuration is still done using Windows forms, which more often than not are still displayed behind the main HomeSeer window (so look for them) or you can use the system tray icon to show a configuration form.

You need to already use SpeakEasy and have a license - I have not activated any timebombs as I do not want people "thinking" about using SpeakEasy using this version.

If it works for you - great - it will only get better as somebody converts the windows forms to web pages and continues to optimize the code. If it does not work for you, I cannot say that I will be able to address issues quickly because this is a low priority right now. Also, the better your description of your environment and what you did to create the bug, the easier it will be for me to fix it.

OK, enough of the caveats and warnings: I will enclose a zip file with this test version. When you are switching back and forth between the .NET version and the COM version, you need to understand that the COM version should be unregistered when you are going to stop using it, and then register it before you use it. Luckily, HS2 will register a plug-in if it finds it is not registered, but it does not take care of the unregistering. To unregister, you need to make sure you have REGSVR32 on your system - chances are you do, and if you go to a command prompt and type that, it will tell you if it could not find it, or if you neglected to provide a file name, which is good news because that confirms you have it.
                  To unregister the old COM plug-in, go to a command prompt, then change into the directory where the plug-in was registered, which should be your HomeSeer folder (CD is the Change Directory command) - like this:
                  C:\> CD "\Program Files\HomeSeer 2"
                  Then, enter this command: REGSVR32 /U HSPI_SPEAKEASY.OCX
                  and that will unregister it.
                  To register it, do the same thing but without the /U parameter.

Remember, you cannot have both plug-ins in the HS2 directory at the same time - so when you are using the old one, rename or delete the .NET hspi_SpeakEasy.dll file. When you are using this test one, rename or delete (after you unregister) the hspi_SpeakEasy.ocx file.

I hope this works for you!

Rick
                  Attached Files
                  Regards,

Rick Tinker (a.k.a. "Tink")

Comment

Thanks Rick!

I've been running it now for a couple of days.

When opening the configuration screen, I get a bunch of these in the log, but it all appears to function OK (or at least what I am using of it).

5/18/2008 11:03:53 AM - SpeakEasy Error - Error 340 (Control array element 0 doesn't exist.) at line 0 in procedure tbxABUnit_Change of Form Configure

One pointer to anyone that uses the exit. If you are using hs.GetPlugins("SpeakEasy"), you need to change that to hs.Plugin("SpeakEasy").

I'm not currently using the speaker scenes, that is another project that is on the back burner.

Bill

Comment

Bill,

I see exactly what the problem is, and it is ugly - really ugly.

VB.NET does not have control arrays for windows forms. So, if you want an array of checkboxes or textboxes, for example, to set configuration values for 8 speakers, you cannot do it. However, there is a compatibility layer/control that if used, does allow you to have those in a .NET program.

Those compatible control array objects are completely compatible with VB6 in that they are 1's based arrays - e.g. Dim X(10) means you have 10 elements numbered 1 through 10. In VB.NET, Dim X(10) means you have 11 elements numbered 0 through 10, and there is no option base command to change the base from 0 to 1.

So here is the problem, besides the obvious issue of accessing an array element starting with 1 with a 0 (which caused this error), but George would store the configuration values in the INI using a single string concatenated together with commas, and the split command used to break them into array elements creates a 0 based array whose data is then fed into a 1's based array when you try to display the form.

So as you can imagine, it is going to take me quite a while to sort all of this out and get it fixed. The easy but time consuming method is to evaluate each and every instance of arrays and make sure that the index has 1 added to it or subtracted from it accordingly. The more difficult but "better" way to handle this is to create configuration classes to hold the information rather than having a bunch of arrays, and then those configuration objects can be managed using a single array of objects or a collection of objects.

It will be some time either way before I can get this working again. I thought when I changed all of the array indices to go from 0 to 7 instead of 1 to 8 I had it fixed - these compatible array elements are going to do me in!
                      Regards,

Comment

Rick,

Thanks for the update. I know all about those pesky control arrays in my struggles to convert the LEDAM plug-in to .NET.

Bill

Comment

Hey Guys,

I'm back and working on upgrading my current system to HS Pro and ZWave.

Please accept my apologies for being gone but the life of a CIO sucks!

I'm seriously thinking of putting up the source in the source code for developer program. Would that help anyone or should I continue to try to support it as after I upgrade, I'm sure I will have to dive into the source myself.

I'm a partner as well in a iOS software company as well, so I may even convert it over to c++ or maybe even Objective-C as it's easier to maintain than the simulated object structures I had to do under VB6.

You may also see some neat iPhone/IPad apps soon as when I install, I may cobble up a few to make life easier, like reroute voice and/or voice response to your iPhone whereever you are? Hummmm...

Let me know,
                          George

Comment

Man its like old home week here.

Good to see you around! I just got my HomeSeer server up and running this past august. It had been dead for over 3 years.

One of the first things I did was install the SpeakEasy plugin. I would say that if you can update it to go for it. I use the GML noqueue tag quite a bit. I started a web page to view all the queued items and to be able to delete one but the function listed in the docs to be able to delete one queue item isn't working.

Jeff
                            --
                            Jeff Farmer
                            HS 3, HSPhone
                            My HS3 Plugins: CFHSExtras, Random, Restart, Tracker, WeatherXML, PanaBluRay
                            Other Plugins In Use: APCUPSD, BLOnkyo, Device History, EasyTrigger, HSTouch Server, PHLocation2, Pushover, RFXCom, UltraGCIR3, UltraMon3, UltraPioneerAVR3, X10, Z-Wave

Hardware: GoControl Irrigation Controler, Schlage Lever Lock, Schlage Deadbolt, Way2Call Hi-Phone, RFXCom RFXrec433 Receiver, WGL 800, TI-103, Z-Net, Pioneer 1120, Pioneer 1021, Pioneer LX302, Panasonic BDT-110, Panasonic BDT-210 x2

Comment

George,

Whatever you do, contact me so I can get you the source code - the one you left has been modified.
                              Regards,

Comment

Speakeasy Plugin and HS3

Originally posted by Rick Tinker View Post
                                George,

Whatever you do, contact me so I can get you the source code - the one you left has been modified.

Tink, I don't know if you took over responsibility for this plugin or not but if you have, will it be converted for HS3? I love it and would like to keep using it.

Comment

Working...
                                X