Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone Hacked Add-a-motor curtain motor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone Hacked Add-a-motor curtain motor?

I like the Add-a-motor thing as it is an order of magnatude cheeper than ANY of the other Curtain controllers, but I hate the TOGGLE open/close.

Has anyone figured out how to use relays to be able to send separate "OPEN" and "CLOSE" commands?

Bob

Bob, Is this a new curtain controller?

Steve Q
    HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
    2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

Add-a-motor is just that, a motor you can add to an existing curtain to "automate" it. It attaches to the curtain pull cord loop and will pull either side for a specific distance.

A very simple inexpensive add-on.
      https://www.smarthome-products.com/p...ontroller.aspx

It has two (and a half) issues...

• It is DUMB. It reverses each time you apply power to it. If you apply power it will pull for a particular distance and then stop. Turn off power and then power it again (think appliance module) it will pull in the oposite direction the same distance and then stop. Works great unless you have a "hickup" which will get it out of sync from where you think it is.
      • I "slips" quite a bit, so it may not always open/close the drape the entire way... It has to attach to the existing curtain pull loop by friction... not the best approach
      • (the half issue) It is LOUD

What I want is to cut it open and find a way to trip a relay for OPEN, If it is open and I send an OPEN nothing happens. Another set of contacts for CLOSE. Again, if it is closed and I send a CLOSE nothing happens...

Comment

I've used these for som years now on a large (heavy) vertical blind.
        I found you need to have the cord tensioned enough to prevent slipping, but not too tight or the shaft will break.
        Mine doesn't reverse until it's reached the stop at either end, no matter how many times I turn it on or off. That problem is likely related to the slip and adding logic to the motor probably won't help. I think you'd need to add DS10s (or like) to the drapery itself to determine actual position. Perhaps even remove the stops so slip wouldn't be a factor.
        hmm, thinking of that, one would be able to control the drape to multiple positions.

For status, I use a virtual device (On=Open, Off=Closed) and worked a long time on a script to make sure the blind doesn't get out of sync. The script is run by Dawn/Dusk, Occupation + Season + Time of day, Remote Control or via VR.
        Real courage is not securing your Wi-Fi network.

Comment

Yes, I hacked the add-a-motor. Added limit switches.

See attached picture

Big pain in the butt. I will be making a post about it soon.

Works great with the DBMZ.
          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
          X