No announcement yet.

Generator tie in?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I built my house I Planned it with a natural gas fired standby generator and home automation in mind.

After a lot of research, I decided on a Briggs and Stratton Intelligen 15KW unit with a Eaton CH series automatic transfer switch. This generator is computer friendly.The CH series ATS has a set of micro switches that monitor the switch position for either normal utility or generator power.

I monitor the switch position with the Hawking
    HRDS1 - Z-Wave Door Sensor to bring the generator status into HomeSeer. This sensor has screw terminals for use with dry contact switches.

I took the attached pictures before I ran the wiring to the Hawking sensor. You can see the micro switches on the right side of the transfer switch.

My Generator exercises once per week. If there is a fault, a remote LED that I have mounted in the garage flashes to indicate trouble. HomeSeer does not monitor the fault status. The LED is in view any time I pull into the garage.

John

Click image for larger version

Name:	Genset.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	1155039

Name:	Automatic transfer switch.jpg
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	1155040

Name:	Transfer switch dry contact microswitch.jpg
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	1155041

Comment

remote wireless

i notice that Generac is coming out with a wireless remote... http://www.homepowersystems.net/stor...70&catid=19580
      would this be something i could hook up to a relay and integrate with HS to give me an email alert when generator runs and performs self test?
      HS3 , Zwave, HometrollerS6, ELK M1G Ultra; mcs sprinklers; WGL800; BLRF; BLNetCallerID; BLSpeech

Comment

Originally posted by gfs View Post
        i notice that Generac is coming out with a wireless remote... http://www.homepowersystems.net/stor...70&catid=19580
        would this be something i could hook up to a relay and integrate with HS to give me an email alert when generator runs and performs self test?
        I just installed this on mine. I don't see any way it would help us get it into HS. There is a remote module that mounts to the outside of the genset that connects to the control panel. Then an inside wireless monitor that basically duplicates the outside panel and also adds a few features not found outside. But there is no output that I can find on the inside monitor. I don't even know what frequency it is using to transmit the data. Someone smarter than I (most likely anyone reading this) might could figure out a way to interpret the information and intercept it. I don't have any idea.

It is pretty neat in that you can remote start/stop/transfer the genset. It also allows you to monitor faults (it will flash the screen if a fault occurs), you can set the exercise date/time and even change whether it uses the low-speed exercise or a normal speed. I have not checked yet to see if the normal speed will actually transfer the load over during the exercise.

All in all, it seems worth the price to me. I'm just not sure I can use it to assist in automation/remote notification.

Chris

Comment

Hey Chris... thanks! My installer said that remote unit wasnt ready yet -- something about testing or whatever... who knows... anyway, I found this
          http://www.generatorverifier.com/ and i spoke to someone who has it and it has 4 relays that can trigger contacts for self-test, no-start, runaway and oil change so I could use this to trigger emails to me via HS.
          http://www.generatorverifier.com/GSV...ion_manual.pdf

so i am getting that and i will wire it up and see! keep me posted.
          George
          HS3 , Zwave, HometrollerS6, ELK M1G Ultra; mcs sprinklers; WGL800; BLRF; BLNetCallerID; BLSpeech

Comment

Hey Chris... thanks! My installer said that remote unit wasnt ready yet -- something about testing or whatever... who knows... anyway, I found this
            http://www.generatorverifier.com/ and i spoke to someone who has it and it has 4 relays that can trigger contacts for self-test, no-start, runaway and oil change so I could use this to trigger emails to me via HS.
            http://www.generatorverifier.com/GSV...ion_manual.pdf

so i am getting that and i will wire it up and see! keep me posted.
            George
            George,

That is excellent! Thanks for the links and information. I am anxious to hear your results. I am researching this info right now.

When i ordered my genset back int September, the wireless monitor was on backorder until mid Oct. When Nov 1st came around, I called AP Electric (Where I ordered it all) and they said it was on backorder now until after the first of next year. A week later, it showed up! Might want to either check back with your people or call AP Electric. I have an email address for a customer service person if you would like that. Of course, you may not need or want one if this verifier works like we hope.

Thanks everyone else for the ideas also.
            Chris

Comment

chris what kind of sensors or relays would i use to hook up to that monitoring device?

Comment

chris what kind of sensors or relays would i use to hook up to that monitoring device?
                George,

So sorry for the delay in responding! I've not been able to check back on the forums for some time.

I have not put any more thought into this. I will and will respond back asap with my thoughts or if I get something that works pretty well that isn't too expensive.

I'm really leaning towards current/voltage monitoring. We could use this to not only tell us if we have utility or standby power, but the actual current draw for each and in my case, could even tell when the genset was running in low-speed exercise. Just thinking out loud......

Sorry again and thanks!
                Chris

Comment

Just FYI,
                  I've got a 10Kw Generac I put in about 8 years ago, and it had a little control module on it. I was able to open it up and discovered some dry contacts that it would either close or open when a fault condition exists.

I tied that into HomeSeer via an Ocelot SECU-16 and it's been working fine for years.

Another set of contacts allows for remote starting, so I put that in as well.

So, you might find what you need is already on the unit.

Comment

Guys... i just got this generator self test verifier and it works great! it also has four contact circuits for alerts... see the manual and info... very easy to wire (electrician to my transfer switch)...
                    http://www.generatorverifier.com/

Comment

Just installed a generator

Found this thread. I'd like to hear about any updates. I'm thinking simple at this point - transformer and Powerflash.

Thanks for any advice.
                      Barry

Comment

Depends on if you want monitoring of Generator or testing it to see if it comes on.

In my case, I have a Stargate that as I/O relays but you could probably do the same thing with your power flash and DS-10's.

I have relay contacts accross the "RUN" side of mine that cause the generator to run and I control the monthly testing/run with that. My ATS supports weekly run but I wanted to control that myself so use the contacts and HS tells it when I want it to run and how long.

Having the contacts in parallel to the run allows the ATS to handle the generator during power loss.

At the generator, I have a simple transformer on the output that is connected to another relay so that once the voltage comes up it picks the relay and gives me a "Generator up to Voltage" contact to notify Stargate which in turn notifies HS to send me an email and a txt message.

You could replace the hard wired with wireless if you wanted to.

It's worked fine for over a year since I installed everything.

Good luck with your project as everyone has different ideas, wants and beliefs.

Comment

Working...
                        X