Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Still no z-wave smoke detectors or CO detectors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still no z-wave smoke detectors or CO detectors?

Strange that nobody seems to have made these things yet in the US. Seems like this would be a no-brainer to add to a Z-wave network -- you could monitor alarm triggers, trigger remote alerts if the alarms are tripped, monitor battery levels, etc.

What am I missing here? Why has nobody done this? I saw one or two that supposedly were made for the EU version of z-wave, but still nothing in the US?

My guess would be that most manufacturers want to avoid the liability of producing a life safety device that could get them sued into oblivion.

Comment

Originally posted by bcham View Post
      My guess would be that most manufacturers want to avoid the liability of producing a life safety device that could get them sued into oblivion.
      Other companies make regular smoke alarms. :shrug:

Why not just build Zwave features into a regular one?

Comment

Originally posted by Otis View Post
        Strange that nobody seems to have made these things yet in the US. Seems like this would be a no-brainer to add to a Z-wave network -- you could monitor alarm triggers, trigger remote alerts if the alarms are tripped, monitor battery levels, etc.

What am I missing here? Why has nobody done this? I saw one or two that supposedly were made for the EU version of z-wave, but still nothing in the US?

I thought 2GIG made zwave smoke and CO2 devices???

-Ray

Comment

The 2GIG stuff is deceiving. Their panel supports Z-Wave but doesn't use it for most of their devices (such as the smoke/co detectors.) They look exactly like the Honeywell/Ademco wireless detectors, which may explain why they recently settled a patent infringement suit with Honeywell. It's unclear if the panel is fully compatible with honeywell or not.

Comment

Does it need to be zwave?

Right now I am doing all you ask with CO/smoke detectors with homeseer, ademco vista plugin, a Honeywell vista 20p security panel, ad2usb, 5800CO co detector, and 5808W3 smoke detector. It can be done now, just not with zwave.

Comment

Originally posted by dinkme View Post
              Does it need to be zwave?

Right now I am doing all you ask with CO/smoke detectors with homeseer, ademco vista plugin, a Honeywell vista 20p security panel, ad2usb, 5800CO co detector, and 5808W3 smoke detector. It can be done now, just not with zwave.
              I guess that's doable, but Z-wave devices would just be a whole lot easier.

Comment

I am not sure how the security system smoke detectors work. If they just provide a contact closure when they alarm could you then just use a z-wave door/window contact detection module to accomplish what you want? Does anyone have experience with security system smokes?

Comment

I think megatron has the right idea. Wire a zwave contact closure to the bells on the smoke detector. Kinda like people do with doorbells and contact closure devices. I included a thread to something along these lines.

http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=131631

Comment

Working...
                  X