Adding a Z-Wave
door lock to HomeSeer system involves a fairly complex interrogation process. This process requires direct interaction with our software. Because of this, we now only recommend adding locks via the software.
- You must be running HomeSeer version 18.104.22.168 or higher
- You must be using a Z-Wave interfaces with Z-Wave ZDK v5.02, v4.52 or higher (HomeSeer Z-Troller with firmware 1.15 or Aeon Labs Z-Stick S2)
- Attach the Z-Troller or Z-Stick interface to your HomeSeer system.
- Start HomeSeer and ensure the interface initializes without errors.
- Position your Z-Wave lock within 3 feet of your Z-Wave interface
- In the software, navigate to the Z-Wave controller functions (Setup>Interfaces>Manage) and click the "Add Node" button. While in ADD mode, activate the Z-Wave programming feature on the lock (this varies depending on the lock you're using. consult the lock's manual for details). This step will begin the inclusion process. This may take a few minutes to complete. (If this step fails, proceed to step #8)
- At the end of the ADD process, HomeSeer will typically create these devices on the status page: Root device, Lock binary device, alarm device, battery device (this may vary by manufacturer).
- At this point, the lock should be controllable. Move the lock back to the door and and finalize the installation.
- Optimize the lock's root device to ensure proper communication with its neighbors.
- If the interrogation process fails to add the lock to your system, there may already be network node information in the lock's memory. This must be cleared by removing the node. In the software, navigate to the Z-Wave controller functions (Setup>Interfaces>Manage) and click the "Remove Node" button. While in remove mode, activate the Z-Wave programming feature on the lock (this varies depending on the lock you're using. consult the lock's manual for details). This step will clear the lock's memory. Once this is complete, go back to step #4 to add the lock to the system.
All Z-Wave locks include a "beaming" technology that puts the lock into a "sleep" mode to conserve battery power. Because of this, only "beaming-compatible" devices can communicate with the lock. As of this writing, only devices with Z-Wave ZDK firmware v5.02 or v4.52 (or higher) can communicate with the locks. These devices currently include the following:
- HomeSeer Z-Troller (v1.15 or higher)
- Aeon Labs Z-Stick S2
- Newest GE/Jasco Z-Wave products (look for "Schlage LiNK on packaging)
- Evolve Z-Wave products (all)
- Schlage LiNK light module
- Trane Z-Wave thermostat
- RCS TZ45 Z-Wave thermostat
- 2GIG Z-Wave thermostat
- Cooper Aspire RF 5-button Scene controller