www.homeseer.com  

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > HomeSeer > Home Automation Hardware > HomeTroller™

HomeTroller™ Discussions related to the HomeTroller automation controller.

Old March 8th, 2012, 12:49 PM
Seer Deluxe

Default HSSentry (again)

The more I dig, the more confused I get. perhaps someone can help me.

According to the HomeTroller Series 3 Getting Started guide, HSSentry is "a hardware watchdog that is rest from within the HomeSeer scheduler". Yet when I go to the setup menu on HmeTroller, it says "HSSentry (Software system monitor):" (which I have enabled). So is it hardware or software?

Should there be an HSSentry.exe on my Hometroller (there never was as I have a full backup taken before I ever started configuring HomeTroller)?

Also, in the log file there is absolutely no mention of any attempt to start HSSentry; nothing is logged when I stop or start it on the setup page. And there is no process running with it.

Do I just need a copy of HSSentry.exe (if there is such a thing for HomeTroller)? Or is there something else wrong?

Sorry for being so dense on this, but hopefully someone can help me out.

Pete
Old March 8th, 2012, 01:05 PM
OverSeer

Not sure how it works on HomeTroller, but on a PC it is seperate from HS. It runs in it's own enviroment, ie it's a stand alone. It starts automatically when HS starts, but, and it's a big but, tends not to shut down when HS is shut down.

A founder member of "The HA Pioneer Group" otherwise known as the "Old farts club!"
HS Pro V2.5.0.81, HS Touch Server V1.0.0.77 on a Foxcon Atom D525
DooMotion V2.4.0.0, DooMenuBar V2.4.0.5 X10 Interphase XTB 232
RFXCom V14.00.67, RFX-Charts V1.1.0.10. SNEVL CID V1.29.10, SNEVL Latitude V2.6. Btraced V1.1.4, and a lot of Jon00 stuff
BLBackup V1.0.20, BLGarbage1.0.5.0
My Weather Station
Old March 8th, 2012, 01:48 PM
Seer Deluxe

Pete,

Last time you brought this up, I checked thoroughly in my Hometroller3 to help you out and couldn't find any sign of HSSentry in the c drive, so either I don't have it installed or it is "hardware". I was hoping someone from Homeseer was going to offer some clarification...

Dan

HomeTroller 3 (XPe)
HomeSeer 2.4.0.57 - and x10 exclusively
PlugIns: SnevlCID | tenHsPower | HomeSeer Log Monitor | ActiveBackup
Old March 8th, 2012, 02:40 PM
Seer Deluxe

I believe HSSentry.exe is a HomeSeer PRO feature.

(System configuration is in my profile)
Old March 8th, 2012, 02:47 PM
Seer Master

Check out this thread: http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?p=1008321
Old March 8th, 2012, 10:19 PM
Seer Deluxe

Thanks, but that is not my problem. That config file entry exists and I also have a menu item on the setup page. But HSsentry shows no evidence of being present (and when Homeseer crashes or hangs up, it is not restarted). Also, contrary to spknapp's statement, according to the getting starting guide that came with both my hometroller 1 (several years back) and my Hometroller 3 (much more recently), HSSentry is part of HomeTroller. And it claimes it is a hardware watchdog (which would preclude the need for a separate executable)
If it is working, I would expect to be able to kill the HomeSeer process and have it reboot the computer. But when I kill the HS process (or it dies do to a bug in one of my plugins ) the system does not restart.
I glad at least one other person doesn't see an .exe file. I'll call Homeseer tomorrow and see if they can help.

Pete
Old March 8th, 2012, 10:35 PM
OverSeer

It's a software app that watches hardware. Have you built your HT using the restore stick? If so it should restore this app.
Old March 9th, 2012, 04:33 PM
Seer Deluxe

Thanks, Rupp;
I was hoping I could simply install the app without having to rebuild the whole system. It was missing from mine, and, based on this thread, it is missing from at least one other person's.
If I have to rebuild the system, it will be rather itme consuming as there are components that need changes in the windows directory (that will nbeed to be manually re-installed (mcsSprinklers, TED, etc). So I am hoping to avoid that.

Pete
Old March 31st, 2012, 01:50 PM
Seer Plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete@malibubeach.com View Post
Thanks, Rupp;
I was hoping I could simply install the app without having to rebuild the whole system. It was missing from mine, and, based on this thread, it is missing from at least one other person's.
If I have to rebuild the system, it will be rather itme consuming as there are components that need changes in the windows directory (that will nbeed to be manually re-installed (mcsSprinklers, TED, etc). So I am hoping to avoid that.

Pete
I have the same issue with a new Hometroller SE3. Am not going to completly rebuild - rather have the .exe file..
Plugins: Aqualink/BLStat/HSTouch Server Unlim/HSTouch/InControl WP7/ISY Insteon/mcsSprinkler/mcsTemperature/Netcam/SonosController/TED/UltraLog/UltraMon/UltraPioneerAVR/UltraWeatherbug/USB-UIRT/ZWave Thermostats
Old March 31st, 2012, 02:03 PM
Seer Deluxe

I've never messed with my Hometroller, yet I am unaware of the presence of HSSentry. Is Homeseer installing this on anyone's Hometroller as advertised? I too am not going to rebuild using the Restore USB drive I purchased with the unit until I have to (assuming Homeseer ever included the program there as well) just to see if that fixes the problem.

I feel that if Homeseer has forgotten to install the software on our Hometrollers, they should make the software available to us through the Updater or their ftp server. I've never even changed the software from Homeseer version 2.4.0.57 that it shipped with.

HomeTroller 3 (XPe)
HomeSeer 2.4.0.57 - and x10 exclusively
PlugIns: SnevlCID | tenHsPower | HomeSeer Log Monitor | ActiveBackup

Last edited by ameridan; March 31st, 2012 at 04:00 PM.
Old March 31st, 2012, 03:52 PM
Seer Master

Hi all,

Are you running HSPRO Build 2.5.0.52

03/15/2012 HS2 / HSPRO Build 2.5.0.52 changes
Fixed Z-Wave lockup (introduced in 2.5.0.51)
Fixed HSSentry setting missing in setup for PRO version

could this be the problem?

Greig.
Plugings = RFXcom, ActiveBackup, Applied Digital Ocelot, BLDeviceMatrix, BLGarbage, BLLAN, Current Cost, Global Cache GC100,HSTouch Android, HSTouch Server, HSTouch Server Unlimited, NetCAM, PowerTrigger, SageWebcamXP, SqueezeBox, X10 CM11A/CM12U.
Scripts =
Various