www.homeseer.com  

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > Lighting & Primary Technology Plug-ins > UPB General Discussion

Old March 8th, 2012, 09:26 AM
Seer Deluxe

Default Looking for IR >> UPB gateway

My ancient IR >> X10 gateway device died, so I can no longer control the lights near my stereo with my TV remote.

I need an INEXPENSIVE way to go from IR >> UPB. The device I used originally (X10 IR543) was $29 and worked GREAT for Years, not it is unavailable....
Old March 8th, 2012, 09:40 AM
OverSeer

I'm afraid your "INEXPENSIVE" requirement will limit you to zero results as there aren't any IR setups that fall under that description.
Old March 8th, 2012, 09:41 AM
OverSeer

On the Cheap side...

well, you might need to get an Iguana Works IR device
http://iguanaworks.net/products/

You can probably extend the serial one from your server to near your TV. Then just write a serial port script that will monitor the IR. When it gets something, have it then trigger the UPB commands.

Have not used them, but have been considering combining one of those and IR extenders to control my IR capable AC units.

--Dan
Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.
Old March 8th, 2012, 10:32 AM
Seer Deluxe

A PC-based device won't work. The TV room doesn't have a PC anywhere near it... the server is 200+ wire-feet away from where the TV is. That's why I used the IR543 years ago...
Old March 8th, 2012, 11:18 AM
OverSeer

hence why I said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by drozwood90 View Post
You can probably extend the serial one from your server
You asked for a cheap solution.

Or, put one of these in the room:
http://www.smarthome.com/8045I/NextG...433-MHz/p.aspx

Put the RX side in the room, put the TX side at your server pointing at the IR to serial/USB device. BUT at $70 total cost for this solution, might be worth spending the extra $30-50 to get a IR to WIFI Global Cache device.
http://store.homeseer.com/store/x-C47.aspx

Esp. since the GC plugin (I think) is free. So, if you include the cost of your time making a script, this probably ends up being cheaper in the long run.

--Dan
Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.
Old March 8th, 2012, 01:14 PM
OverSeer

IF you have a small HSTouch client (smartphone) you could just add a button or screen for light control. Of course, that's cheap only if all you need to do is add the button.

PIs: ACRF2 | VWS | Ultra Mon, Log, ECM | BL RFID, Rusound, Alarm, Backup | PowerTrigger | NetCam | UPB | mcsXap | SqueezeBox | HSTouch | Compose | CM11 |
WeatherXML | HSPhone | jvCaddx

HW: Stargate | CAV6.6 | Compose | WGL 800RF, Rain8Net | RFXCOM | Quatech QSE100D | Vantage Pro | ECM1240 | XTB-232, -IIR | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call

Jon00 Scripts, mcsSprinklers, gnuPlot

Old March 8th, 2012, 01:35 PM
OverSeer

Couldn't you use something like this, of course it's not $29.00 but what is these days, except the things that used to be $5.00
Playing with HS3 a bit but it's just play at this point.
Old March 8th, 2012, 01:45 PM
OverSeer

Neat find Nightwalker!

I think the only issue with that is it is $135 unless the OP has a spare PIM laying around.

I would think for that $$, he'd be better off (more flexibility) getting the GC or similar device.

--Dan
Old March 8th, 2012, 01:49 PM
OverSeer

Well, I didn't say it was cheap, I said it would do what he wanted as he spec'd out. Best I could do was two out of three of his specifications.
Playing with HS3 a bit but it's just play at this point.
Old May 3rd, 2012, 10:37 PM
Seer Deluxe

What about the HAI 6 button controllers with iR built in? I have 4 in the house, all addressed separately and they work fantastically. They're not 'cheap' unless you get lucky on ebay, but for the money you get a great backlit controller + iR for your programmable remote (must be able to accept hex codes on your remote)

Adam
Old July 31st, 2012, 04:44 PM
Seer

Question for rsisson - were you using the IR543 to control UPB ? I have been looking for a cheap IR TO UPB solution and came across this thread and have been wondering if this would work since i have an old IR543 lying around.
Old July 31st, 2012, 05:01 PM
Seer

Question for rsisson - were you using the IR543 to control UPB ? I have been looking for a cheap IR TO UPB solution and came across this thread and have been wondering if this would work since i have an old IR543 lying around.

Last edited by Dhiren; July 31st, 2012 at 05:02 PM. Reason: sorry for the double post
Old July 31st, 2012, 05:06 PM
Seer Deluxe

No..The IR543 is purely X10... and they are hard to find and EXPENSIVE. DOn't give it away, it is worth much more than you paid for it if it is working...

I use the IR543 in my theater room to go from IR to the X10 stuff in that one room...
Old July 31st, 2012, 05:20 PM
Seer

Thanks for the quick reply! Makes me want to go dig up my old x10 pieces and put them back into the mix.

Did you have x10 and UPB running together ?
Old July 31st, 2012, 08:36 PM
OverSeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhiren View Post
Thanks for the quick reply! Makes me want to go dig up my old x10 pieces and put them back into the mix.

Did you have x10 and UPB running together ?
UPB and X10 work fine together.
Old July 31st, 2012, 10:53 PM
Seer

Thank you both