X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DSC Help Information

DSC Security Plugin for HomeSeer

Introduction

Thank you for the purchase of the HomeSeer DSC Security Plugin! The HomeSeer DSC Security plugin gives you total automation control of your DSC Security System.

Requirements

There are several requirements to using the HomeSeer DSC Security plugin:
    • HomeSeer Version 2.1.0.0 or higher must be installed.
    • A DSC Security Panel, either MAXSYS or Power864 Series must be installed in your home, and connected with a PC communications module. Refer to your DSC documentation on more information on how to set up these interfaces
    • The PC Communications module must be connected to your HomeSeer computer via a COM port.
    Installation
    1. register
    DSC Security Status Page

http://board.homeseer.com/attachment...id=11494&stc=1

Information

The HomeSeer Status page will display information about your DSC devices. You can use this page to check the status of your devices, or control certain panel actions.

Basic Control Instructions

To Arm a Partition
    1. Click the "Arm Partition" button for the partition that you would like to arm
    To Bypass/Unbypass a Zone
    1. Click the "Bypass" or "Unbypass" button next to the zone that you want to access. NOTE: These buttons are not available when using the 5401 panel.
    Page Items

Status Column

Under the "Status" column, the plugin will display up to three unique messages regarding the panel's status. For example, a partition may report its status as "Partition Not Ready", but might also send "General System Trouble". The plugin displays all messages so that you know what the detailed status of the panel is.

Name Column

The "Name" column shows the names of Partitions and Zones. These can be renamed to whatever you like, so "Zone 1" can be renamed to "Front Door". To rename a zone or partition, click on the blue link in the "Name" column.

Control Column

This column contains buttons to control your zones and partitions. Click on a button to perform the action, see Basic Control Instructions above for more info.

Setup Screen

http://board.homeseer.com/attachment...id=11495&stc=1

Information

This screen is used to control the settings for communicating with the panel. It can be accessed by clicking the "Config" button on the "Interfaces" screen.

Page Items

Panel Type

Select either 4401 or 5401 to tell the plugin which module you are communicating to the panel with. The 4401 is used with the MAXSYS panel, and the 5401 is used with the Power864 panel series. You MUST select the correct panel in order for HomeSeer to display the correct actions and triggers.

Baud Rate

This setting determines the speed that HomeSeer uses to communicate with the panel. See your DSC documentation for more information on how to configure this setting on the panel.

Number of Zones (0-128)

Tells HomeSeer how many zones you are using with the panel. If you select "13", HomeSeer will create devices for Zone 1, 2, ... 13, and monitor these zones. This will only monitor consecutive zones, so if you are using zones 1,2,3, and 5, for example, you must enter 5 in order for HomeSeer to monitor that zone.

Number of Partitions (1-8)

Tells HomeSeer how many partitions you have in your system. Like the Zones property, this will monitor the number of Partitions that you enter, so if you enter 3, HomeSeer will monitor Partitions 1, 2 and 3.

Master Panel Code

This is the 4 or 6 digit code that HomeSeer needs to connect to the panel in certain circumstances, and must be used in order to connect to the panel properly.

Polling Timer

HomeSeer will automatically interpret messages from the panel and update the status of your devices, but the Panel does not always send messages back to HomeSeer when its status changes. Setting this value tells HomeSeer to get the latest information from the panel at the interval you set. Setting this value to 0 disables polling.

Enable Logging

Yes: Enables DSC general log messages, No: disables all DSC log messages.

Enable Status Logging

Yes: Enables DSC status log messages, these are communications from the panel that give its status. No: disables DSC status log messages.

Enable Debug Logging

Yes: Enables DSC debug log messages, these can give descriptive information about the plugin if you are having trouble, No: disables DSC debug log messages.

Event Triggers

http://board.homeseer.com/attachment...id=11496&stc=1

Information

The DSC Security plugin can trigger events based on changes in the DSC Security panel. The instructions to create events based on these triggers are explained below.

Creating an event based on a DSC Security Trigger
    1. Click the "Add Event" button on the Event screen
    2. Select the "Trigger" tab
    3. Select "DSC Security Trigger" from the Trigger type dropdown list
    4. Select one of the trigger types, described below.
    5. Click the "Save" button, and customize the event with the actions you would like.
    DSC Security Trigger Types

Select DSC Trigger

This dropdown contains ALL messages that can come from the DSC panel. Any message can be configured to trigger an event, but some require specific data. See Below for more information.

The following Triggers can have data for Partition, Zone, or Data:
    • Any Event
    The Following Events can only have data in the "Data" field. See the DSC documentation on how to implement this.
    • Command Acknowledge
    • System Error
    • Indoor Temperature
    • Outdoor Temperature
    • Duress Alarm
    • Wireless Key Low Battery Alarm
    • Wireless Key Low Battery Restoral
    • Handheld Keypad Low Battery Alarm
    • Handheld Keypad Low Battery Restoral
    The Following Events cannot have any data in any field.
    • Command Error
    • Ring Detected
    • 2 Wire Smoke Alarm
    • 2 Wire Smoke Restore
    • Waterflow Alarm
    • Waterflow Restore
    • 2 Wire Smoke Trouble
    • 2 Wire Smoke Trouble Restore
    • Waterflow Trouble
    • Waterflow Trouble Restore
    • Panel Battery Trouble
    • Panel Battery Restoral
    • Panel AC Trouble
    • Panel AC Restoral
    • Panel Aux Trouble
    • Panel Aux Restoral
    • System Bell Trouble
    • System Bell Restoral
    • Combus Trouble
    • Combus Restoral
    • TLM Failure
    • TLM Restoral
    • TLM Failure Line 2
    • TLM Restoral Line 2
    • FTC Trouble
    • FTC Restoral
    • Buffer Near Full
    • Ground Fault
    • Ground Fault Restoral
    • General System Trouble
    • General System Trouble Restoral
    • General Module Com Fault
    • General Module Com Fault Restoral
    • General System Tamper Alarm
    • General System Tamper Restore
    • Fire Trouble Alarm
    • Fire Trouble Alarm Restoral
    • Code Required
    • Command not Recognized
    The Following Events can only have data in the "Zone" and "Partition" field.
    • Zone Alarm
    • Zone Restoral
    • Zone Tamper
    • Zone Tamper Restoral
    The Following Events can only have data in the "Zone" field.
    • Zone Fault
    • Zone Fault Restoral
    • Zone Bypass
    • Zone Unbypass
    • Zone Opened
    • Zone Restored
    • Door Forced Alarm
    • Door Forced Restore
    • Door Open Too Long Alarm
    • Door Open Too Long Restore
    • General Device Low Battery
    • General Device Low Battery Restoral
    The Following Events can only have data in the "Partition" field.
    • [F] Key Alarm
    • [F] Key Restoral
    • [A] Key Alarm
    • [A] Key Restoral
    • [P] Key Alarm
    • [P] Key Restoral
    • Partition Ready
    • Partition Not Ready
    • Partition Armed
    • Partition Force Armed
    • Partition in Alarm
    • Partition Disarmed
    • Exit Delay in Progress
    • Entry Delay in Progress
    • Keypad Lockout
    • Invalid Access Code
    • Invalid Function
    • Special Closing
    • Partial Closing
    • Special Opening
    • Trouble Status
    • Trouble Status Restoral"
    The Following Events can only have data in the "Partition" and "Data" fields.
    • User Closing
    • User Opening
    Select Partition

This sets the event to trigger only when caused by a certain partition.

Select Zone

This sets the event to trigger only when caused by a certain zone.

Data

This sets the event to trigger only when caused by certain data. See the DSC documentation for more information on how to implement this.

Event Actions

http://board.homeseer.com/attachment...id=11497&stc=1

Information

HomeSeer can change the status on certain items on the DSC panel. See below for information on configuring specific actions

Creating an event with a DSC Security Action
    1. Click the "Add Event" button on the Event screen
    2. Select the "Actions" tab
    3. Select "DSC Actions" from the Action type dropdown list
    4. Select one of the action types, described below, then click "Check Changes"
    5. Configure the specific properties for the action, described below, then click "Update".
    6. Click the "Save" button, and customize the event with the trigger you would like.
    DSC Security Action Types

Status Report

Polls the panel, and gets the updated status for all zones and partitions.

Set Date and Time to Now

Sets the Date and Time on the panel to now, useful for recovering from a power failure or simply maintaining accurate time.

Command Output Control

Sets a command output on a specific Partition to ON or OFF, changing the current value. See the DSC documentation for more information.

Arm Partition

Arms the selected partition on the DSC Panel.

Disarm Partition

Disarms the selected partition on the DSC Panel.

Arm Partition - "Stay" Mode (5401 Only)

Arms the selected partition on the DSC Panel in "Stay" mode.

Arm Partition - "Zero Entry Delay" Mode (5401 Only)

Arms the selected partition on the DSC Panel in "Zero Entry Delay" mode.

Arm Partition - "With Code" Mode (5401 Only)

Arms the selected partition on the DSC Panel in "With Code" mode.

Enable/Disable Descriptive Arming Control (5401 Only)

Enables or Disables descriptive Arming Control. See the DSC documentation for more information.

Enable/Disable Time Stamp Control (5401 Only)

Enables or Disables Time Stamp Control. See the DSC documentation for more information.

Enable/Disable Time Broadcast Control (5401 Only)

Enables or Disables Time Broadcast Control. See the DSC documentation for more information.

Enable/Disable Temperature Broadcast Control (5401 Only)

Enables or Disables Temperature Broadcast Control. See the DSC documentation for more information.

Trigger Panic Alarm (5401 Only)

Triggers a Fire, Ambulance, or Panic alarm on the DSC panel. See the DSC documentation for more information.

Bypass Zone (4401 Only)

Bypasses the selected zone on the DSC Panel.

Unbypass Zone (4401 Only)

Unbypasses the selected zone on the DSC Panel.

DSC Arming/Status Page

http://board.homeseer.com/attachment...id=11498&stc=1

Information

The DSC plugin will create a page that displays the status messages from each partition, as well as the ability to arm the partition.

Page Items

Partition Status

This displays the messages for the status of the panel. These are the same messages that are displayed on the front panel.

User/Password

These are used to disarm the Partition. Enter a valid HomeSeer user/password combination (default/default) and click "Disarm Partition" to disarm the partition.

Support

For Support:

Help Desk: www.homeseer.com (select HelpDesk from the Suppot menu)

Support is also available on our message board at:

http://board.homeseer.com

Look for the forum dedicated to the DSC Security plugin.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by RJ; June 23, 2006, 01:57 PM.
    -RJ (HomeSeer Tech)

Will this plug-in work with a Power 832 panel?

Comment

The appropriate answer...

It depends on the interface module you are using. If you are using the IT-100, neither will currently work or work very little. I don't know about the 5401, I cannot get my hands on it since it has been discontinued.

Comment

I use the PC5401 with a Power 864 panel and it works great. I have read that it also works with the power 832 panel. If you do a google products search for DSC PC5401 you should be able to buy one. I purchased one not too long ago.

Comment

Improvements to the IT-100 serial interface?

Originally posted by aellender View Post
          It depends on the interface module you are using. If you are using the IT-100, neither will currently work or work very little. I don't know about the 5401, I cannot get my hands on it since it has been discontinued.
          Has any improvements been made on the IT-100 interface working with HS? It seems to be the direct replacement to the 5401. I am looking to order one and would do the IT-100 if I can.

Thanks!
          John

Comment

I just installed an IT-100 and other than the first one being dead it works as expected.

Comment

Originally posted by hart2hart View Post
              I just installed an IT-100 and other than the first one being dead it works as expected.
              Thanks,
              I found a 5401 at a good price and ordered it. Should be here tomorrow. Do you have to go into the panel with your installer code to turn any feature sets on to use the card? It appears to connect to the keypad bus, correct?

Thanks!
              John

Comment

It does wire to the keypad bus and if it is like the IT-100 occupies one of the keypad slots. It require the panel to be reset to discover device.

Comment

How to reset PC1616 alarm system? I see you need to reset the panel to recognize the IT-100. I searched and it seems like the way to do it is to disconnect the backup battery, disconnect the power and short the EEprom pins, power up, and after 10 s remove the short. Any others?

Comment

DSC reset

Originally posted by pcgeek View Post
                    How to reset PC1616 alarm system? I see you need to reset the panel to recognize the IT-100. I searched and it seems like the way to do it is to disconnect the backup battery, disconnect the power and short the EEprom pins, power up, and after 10 s remove the short. Any others?
                    pcgeek,
                    that is the same procedure that my panel uses. That will restore all the settings to the factory defaults.

Comment

Thanks for the insight. Question, how do you short the eeprom? I only see a con4 with 4 pins on the PC1616 board.

Comment

DSC reset

Originally posted by pcgeek View Post
                        Thanks for the insight. Question, how do you short the eeprom? I only see a con4 with 4 pins on the PC1616 board.
                        pcgeek, according to the system manual, in order to do a Hardware Reset, do the following (page 26 of the manual):
                        1. Power down the system completely.
                        2. Connect a short between Zone 1 and PGM1 on the control panel (remove all other wires from these terminals).
                        3. Power up the control panel (AC power only) for 10 full seconds.
                        4. Power down the control panel and remove the short between Zone 1 and PGM1.
                        5. Power up the control panel and your done.

This is from the installation guide v. 4.2 NA for PC1616/1832/1864.

I've performed this reset before. Good luck...

Comment

Thanks for the help!! I can't believe I missed this in the manual. I'll try this out in the next day or so. Hopefully this will get my IT-100 recognized and working with HS!!

Comment

Just to be sure...

Happy New year all ... I have a DSC Power 864 that I want to connect to Homeseer. I've read through the postings and have two questions..

1) Does the interface I need to get for the panel only connect to the Homeseer PC by RS232? If Yes can it be connected via a USB converter? I've had too many problems chasing down other applications or services seizing the com port. (VWS plugin and WMR986).

2) Can I use the state of any zones to trigger and event? Ie using the interior motion sensors to trigger lighting events? Or opening a window shuts down the low speed furnace fan. I have been given conflicting info if this is possible.

Remote and split arming i really dont need.. just to turn on a "away" lighting scheme when its armed, notify me by email when a user arms or disarms or sets the alarm off and to use zone stats to trigger insteaon events. Just want to be sure I can do all this and if there is anything I need to specify when i call my alram guy to install the interface.

Thanks

Comment

Go for it!

Originally posted by ve3bwp View Post
                              Happy New year all ... I have a DSC Power 864 that I want to connect to Homeseer. I've read through the postings and have two questions..

1) Does the interface I need to get for the panel only connect to the Homeseer PC by RS232? If Yes can it be connected via a USB converter? I've had too many problems chasing down other applications or services seizing the com port. (VWS plugin and WMR986).
                              Hello,
                              yes, I am currently using a USB to serial converter as I have a newer PC without serial ports. I used an off-the-shelf cheap-o converter.

2) Can I use the state of any zones to trigger and event? Ie using the interior motion sensors to trigger lighting events? Or opening a window shuts down the low speed furnace fan. I have been given conflicting info if this is possible.
                              Yes, but keep in mind that the DSC motion sensors have a built-in time-delay. I am using the wireless motion sensors, doors sensors, and break glass sensors. The motion sensors have a built in 6 second time-delay. When I walk into my kitchen, the delay is noticeable before HS 'sees' the DSC motion sensor trigger. I've learned to live with it as a convenience rather than a nuisance.

Remote and split arming i really dont need.. just to turn on a "away" lighting scheme when its armed, notify me by email when a user arms or disarms or sets the alarm off and to use zone stats to trigger insteaon events. Just want to be sure I can do all this and if there is anything I need to specify when i call my alram guy to install the interface.
                              If you go wireless (not for the faint of heart), you could probably install the system yourself. However, I'm an engineer that likes twiddling in such things and that may not be your forte.

At my house, I've got it programmed through HS to turn off all my lighting when the system is armed. You can very easily send out an email based on alarming and arming, for that matter. When my alarm goes off, I send out code to turn on all the Insteon lighting in and outside my house.

Hope this helps...

Comment

Working...
                              X