Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is an acceptable poll rate for switches?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is an acceptable poll rate for switches?

I just want to know if there is an acceptable value for polling switches.
    Thx
    Cheers,
    Bob
    Web site | Help Desk | Feature Requests | Message Board

most of mine are polled every 5 minutes. A couple far less and some far more. Obviously the faster you poll the more bogged down your network will become
    Running HS PRO V2.5.0.49 & HS Pro V2.5.0.51

Comment

I poll my high-wattage lights every 10 mins and turn them off after 'x' minutes or 'y' minutes of no-motion. I poll others hourly.
      HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
      54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
      Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

I poll some non-instant status modules ever 2 minutes if I key off of their status to alter room behavior. Everything else is set to two hours.

For example if the under cabinet lights are on, then wait until DooMotion says the room is unoccupied to shutdown vs when the motion sensors stop reporting motion.

Comment

I try to poll minimally based on an inquiry rate. If I check the kitchen lights every 15 minutes, then an event to check on time is anywhere from the 15 minutes up to and including the poll rate. What always happens is that the light is just turned on just after being polled so
          Potential max on time = check time + (poll rate - 1min)

Stuart

Comment

I just read a post by Rich where he indicates that the newer ACT switches send their status to HS automatically when controlled locally.
            Is this really true? If so that is great.
            Cheers,
            Bob

Comment

Yes. Most of my switches are ACT and they report instant status (add HS into the group 1 association. This is normally done for you).

Comment

Yes that seems to be added automatically for me.
                Now if I could only figure out how to properly set the ramp for the different operations of the switch.
                See my thread here.

http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=139836
                Cheers,
                Bob

Comment

No - newer ACT switches DO NOT support instant status. There is a group 1, but it does not allow any devices to be in it. When HomeSeer scans (resyncs) the device, it queries the group to see how many devices it supports, and the newer ACT devices report ZERO nodes at group 1.

However, the Intermatic switches that have the same shortcoming, we found a way to provide pseudo-instant status.

So if you are referring to truly newer ACT switches, then no they do not support instant status. Only the older ones do.
                  Regards,

Rick Tinker (a.k.a. "Tink")

Comment

Originally posted by Blade View Post
                    I just read a post by Rich where he indicates that the newer ACT switches send their status to HS automatically when controlled locally.
                    Is this really true? If so that is great.
                    Bob,
                    Where is this post and how old is it? We need to edit this port to reflect Ricks information.
                    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

That is a bummer. I was hoping for 2 way communication.
                      I guess I will have to poll them

Here is the post:

http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=113607
                      Cheers,
                      Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Blade View Post
                        That is a bummer. I was hoping for 2 way communication.
                        I guess I will have to poll them

Here is the post:

http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=113607
                        Yea, this was a 2006 post and back then these switches did support 2 way support.
                        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
                          Yea, this was a 2006 post and back then these switches did support 2 way support.
                          Is there anyway to identify the "older" ACT switches by looking @ them? I have some that have ver 1.11 on the outside... Old or new?

Comment

The version 1.11 are the old switches - version 2 are the new switches

Comment

The old ACT switches support status update.
                              They removed this option because of extra licenses they had to pay.
                              The new Qees also support two way status update. This also the case with Merten I think

Comment

Working...
                              X