It is probably NOT the most cost effective way to monitor water usage.
I was never able to make the ed cheung circuit work reliably; the circuit attached does work but is somewhat more complicated. As I saw problems, I did the equivalent of adding an electronic band-aid and moved on. I'm sure the circuit could be simplified/improved.
Monitoring the magnetic field of the Neptune meter provides a ridiculous level of resolution, approximately 116 counts per gallon. The actual divisor is determined by experiment and is affected by the physical placement of the Vernier MG-BTA sensor.
The circuit is tied to a Hobby-Boards 1Wire dual counter which is read using a Midon TEMP08 tied to an HT2. A periodic script reads the counts and does the math to produce the volume of water consumed.
I kind of learned how to sweat copper pipes putting in these two meters. The too are connected to the HB's counter. One meter is for the whole house water supply and the other is for just the sprinkling system. The most difficult and time consuming setup was the one with the multiple valves you see.
I added an on demand pump due to a WAF thing.
Hobby boards dual counter velcroed on the HB barometer.
<< sweat copper pipes putting in these two meters>>
Individual meters are the way to go in the long run, but the last time I soldered copper pipe I picked up a hot fitting without thinking and burned my hand. 12VDC seemed like a safer alternative this time .
Looks like a nice dry basement; I had to remove the magnetic sensor during Irene, the meter ended up under water when the power failed.
In almost 10 years I've had to replace the "lifetime" warranty sump pump twice because of failure. Not sure if its the water here. I now have two alarm sensors connected just in case.
A power failure of more than a day here would be a disaster;which is why now I am entertaining a natural gas generator (I have in the past, did the research, priced one) but have yet to install one.
Sweating the pipes is just really using clean copper pipes, sanding them a bit more, using a bit of flux and just barely heating the joint; letting the solder get absorbed. Once you done one or two the rest will come easy.
"In almost 10 years I've had to replace the "lifetime" warranty sump pump twice because of failure. Not sure if its the water here. I now have two alarm sensors connected just in case."
Incredibly my Liberty (Bronze) Pedestal pump has been in service for 25 years. This past season it has had to run effectively non-stop for days at a time. I have an HRDS1 on the pump and with a little geometry monitor the sump inflow and outflow rates. During Irene, the inflow went from 0 to 20gpm in 1 hour (the area was already saturated from previous heavy rainfall).
"A power failure of more than a day here would be a disaster;which is why now I am entertaining a natural gas generator (I have in the past, did the research, priced one) but have yet to install one."
I swear to buy a (small) generator after every 'event' but somehow it never happens, maybe an early Christmas present.