www.homeseer.com  

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > 3rd Party Plug-Ins/Scripts > SpeakEasy Plug-In

SpeakEasy Plug-In SpeakEasy is a speech pre-processor, routing and speaker switching plug-in. It can queue text-to-speech until a later time, switch speakers on/off and prevent speaking until the speakers are correctly set, or enhance/alter the text-to-speech as it i

Old April 11th, 2008, 09:46 AM
Seer Deluxe

I understand that alot has been on your plate however, its has been awhile since we have seen anything in the way of a .NET version or improvements on the old version. Even though SpeakEasy has been solid, I believe it is the cause of some lag in my system. I'm also in the process of running everything in .NET for which HST has developed their system for. SpeakEasy is the one of two plugins that I have left that is not .NET. Even all my scripts are .NET. I have notice a huge increase in preformance each time I upgade plug-in or scripts to .NET. I guess my question for your would be.... I know you just responded but do you have a timeframe of when releasing .NET version will happen? If it is going to be awhile or if you cannot release a .NET version shortly, would you be opposed to another author writing a plug-in like SpeakEasy?

Respectfully,

HS3
Plugins:
BLRandom, BLRadar | RFXCOM | PI-SonosController | DirecTV, UPB, XBMC by Spud | UltraCID3, UltraM1G3, UltraMon3, UltraWeatherBug3 | HSTouch Server, Z-Wave
Old May 9th, 2008, 07:47 PM
Super Seer

Ok all, good news.

Watch this space.

I spoke with the Tink-miester things will happen soon with the .NET version of SpeakEasy.

George
Old May 10th, 2008, 12:32 AM
OverSeer

OK folks - here's the deal. I took a stab LONG ago at converting this plug-in, both to get more experience on converting code, and to give George a hand learning .NET. I got it to the point where it worked, and kept sending George updates, but then I let it go because I had a working .NET plug-in.

Back in January, I got tired of one recurring bug, which was that the queuing would work once, but not again unless HS was restarted. I spent a couple of evenings in front of the TV getting rid of the rest of the old syntax and methods for doing things to try to make the plug-in cleaner and to see if I could fix the bug. I did fix the bug, but I cannot guarantee that I did not remove some functionality for devices/features that I was not using, because I was under the impression George would eventually take it back and I could either keep the version I had as an orphan or go back to George's .NET version.

After speaking with George, I do not know what the future of the plug-in is going to be because I am not sure if I am going to take it over or if George will have to find somebody else, or put the source code in the public domain.

In the meantime, however, let's see how well the version I am using works with people interested in it.

The configuration is still done using Windows forms, which more often than not are still displayed behind the main HomeSeer window (so look for them) or you can use the system tray icon to show a configuration form.

You need to already use SpeakEasy and have a license - I have not activated any timebombs as I do not want people "thinking" about using SpeakEasy using this version.

If it works for you - great - it will only get better as somebody converts the windows forms to web pages and continues to optimize the code. If it does not work for you, I cannot say that I will be able to address issues quickly because this is a low priority right now. Also, the better your description of your environment and what you did to create the bug, the easier it will be for me to fix it.

OK, enough of the caveats and warnings: I will enclose a zip file with this test version. When you are switching back and forth between the .NET version and the COM version, you need to understand that the COM version should be unregistered when you are going to stop using it, and then register it before you use it. Luckily, HS2 will register a plug-in if it finds it is not registered, but it does not take care of the unregistering. To unregister, you need to make sure you have REGSVR32 on your system - chances are you do, and if you go to a command prompt and type that, it will tell you if it could not find it, or if you neglected to provide a file name, which is good news because that confirms you have it.
To unregister the old COM plug-in, go to a command prompt, then change into the directory where the plug-in was registered, which should be your HomeSeer folder (CD is the Change Directory command) - like this:
C:\> CD "\Program Files\HomeSeer 2"
Then, enter this command: REGSVR32 /U HSPI_SPEAKEASY.OCX
and that will unregister it.
To register it, do the same thing but without the /U parameter.

Remember, you cannot have both plug-ins in the HS2 directory at the same time - so when you are using the old one, rename or delete the .NET hspi_SpeakEasy.dll file. When you are using this test one, rename or delete (after you unregister) the hspi_SpeakEasy.ocx file.

I hope this works for you!

Rick
Attached Files
File Type: zip HSPI_SPEAKEASY.zip (109.7 KB, 32 views)

Rick Tinker (a.k.a. "Tink")
Old May 18th, 2008, 11:01 AM
Super Seer

Thanks Rick!

I've been running it now for a couple of days.

When opening the configuration screen, I get a bunch of these in the log, but it all appears to function OK (or at least what I am using of it).

5/18/2008 11:03:53 AM - SpeakEasy Error - Error 340 (Control array element 0 doesn't exist.) at line 0 in procedure tbxABUnit_Change of Form Configure

One pointer to anyone that uses the exit. If you are using hs.GetPlugins("SpeakEasy"), you need to change that to hs.Plugin("SpeakEasy").

I'm not currently using the speaker scenes, that is another project that is on the back burner.

Bill
Old May 19th, 2008, 11:49 AM
OverSeer

Bill,

I see exactly what the problem is, and it is ugly - really ugly.

VB.NET does not have control arrays for windows forms. So, if you want an array of checkboxes or textboxes, for example, to set configuration values for 8 speakers, you cannot do it. However, there is a compatibility layer/control that if used, does allow you to have those in a .NET program.

Those compatible control array objects are completely compatible with VB6 in that they are 1's based arrays - e.g. Dim X(10) means you have 10 elements numbered 1 through 10. In VB.NET, Dim X(10) means you have 11 elements numbered 0 through 10, and there is no option base command to change the base from 0 to 1.

So here is the problem, besides the obvious issue of accessing an array element starting with 1 with a 0 (which caused this error), but George would store the configuration values in the INI using a single string concatenated together with commas, and the split command used to break them into array elements creates a 0 based array whose data is then fed into a 1's based array when you try to display the form.

So as you can imagine, it is going to take me quite a while to sort all of this out and get it fixed. The easy but time consuming method is to evaluate each and every instance of arrays and make sure that the index has 1 added to it or subtracted from it accordingly. The more difficult but "better" way to handle this is to create configuration classes to hold the information rather than having a bunch of arrays, and then those configuration objects can be managed using a single array of objects or a collection of objects.

It will be some time either way before I can get this working again. I thought when I changed all of the array indices to go from 0 to 7 instead of 1 to 8 I had it fixed - these compatible array elements are going to do me in!

Old May 22nd, 2008, 11:49 AM
Super Seer

Rick,

Thanks for the update. I know all about those pesky control arrays in my struggles to convert the LEDAM plug-in to .NET.

Bill
Old September 30th, 2011, 07:54 AM
Super Seer

Hey Guys,

I'm back and working on upgrading my current system to HS Pro and ZWave.

Please accept my apologies for being gone but the life of a CIO sucks!

I'm seriously thinking of putting up the source in the source code for developer program. Would that help anyone or should I continue to try to support it as after I upgrade, I'm sure I will have to dive into the source myself.

I'm a partner as well in a iOS software company as well, so I may even convert it over to c++ or maybe even Objective-C as it's easier to maintain than the simulated object structures I had to do under VB6.

You may also see some neat iPhone/IPad apps soon as when I install, I may cobble up a few to make life easier, like reroute voice and/or voice response to your iPhone whereever you are? Hummmm...

Let me know,
George
Old October 1st, 2011, 01:35 PM
Have A Blessed Day

Man its like old home week here.

Good to see you around! I just got my HomeSeer server up and running this past august. It had been dead for over 3 years.

One of the first things I did was install the SpeakEasy plugin. I would say that if you can update it to go for it. I use the GML noqueue tag quite a bit. I started a web page to view all the queued items and to be able to delete one but the function listed in the docs to be able to delete one queue item isn't working.

Jeff

Hardware: Schlage Z-Wave Lever Lock x2, Way2Call Hi-Phone, RFXCom RFXrec433 Receiver, WGL 800, TI-103, Z-Troller, Pioneer 1120, Pioneer 1021, Pioneer 1122, Panasonic BDT-110, Panasonic BDT-210

Old October 3rd, 2011, 09:52 AM
OverSeer

HS Logo

George,

Whatever you do, contact me so I can get you the source code - the one you left has been modified.

Old January 6th, 2014, 10:52 AM
Seer Plus

Default Speakeasy Plugin and HS3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Tinker View Post
George,

Whatever you do, contact me so I can get you the source code - the one you left has been modified.

Tink, I don't know if you took over responsibility for this plugin or not but if you have, will it be converted for HS3? I love it and would like to keep using it.
Old January 7th, 2014, 12:26 AM
OverSeer

HS Logo

Yeah, I am torn on this one. George put so much "extra" stuff in there; windows UI, features I do not even understand, etc. and it was written so long ago that the conversion would take some time, and I already have at least four other personal plug-ins that I need to convert on my own time! If it happens, it will not be right away! I may use a combination of the old speak proxy plug-in I wrote long ago (which would be super easy to convert) and whatever plug-in is running my speakers (in my case Ocelot) to kluge up a solution until I get around to working on it, if I ever do. Would gladly hand the source code over to anybody who wants to take it over. George said he was interested but I do not think he has the time either.

Old February 13th, 2014, 08:12 AM
Seer Plus

Tink, this is a show stopper for me. I need something that can easily control a Relay8 or ADIOcelot to switch speakers. The functionality where you can embed commands in the speech text to operate speaker "scenes" is vital to my household. It would take gobs of event coding to even start replicating the features.

Just out out of curiosity, how do you do switching in your home? I can't afford to deploy a bunch of PC's with the HS Speaker program on them. I'm open to other ideas of handling the speaker switching with other plugins to achieve the same goals.

Right now, without the Ocelot plugins working or SpeakEasy plugin, I've got a product I can't convert to and will be stuck with HS2.
Old February 13th, 2014, 09:46 AM
OverSeer

HS Logo

I am in the same boat, and Rich is working on the Adicon plug-in so that is suppose to be coming to fix half the battle, but after 12 years of operation, my relays on the Adicon module controlling the speakers are worn down - they make a noise but don't really make contact anymore - I need to switch them out and since they are not made anymore, I will go with something else.

At any rate, I too need to fix it, but I am already knee deep in work that I need to do for my own system and plug-ins that I wrote much less George's! Besides regular HomeSeer work, I have FOUR other plug-ins in queue to be upgraded to HS3.

So I am not saying that I won't do it, just that it is not likely to get done in a timely manner, so I will gladly turn it over to anybody who wants to run with it. I do queuing in my speak events, but I can do that with IsSpeaking and that one will be EASY to convert (or I could potentially use Sonos or one of the others that does speak queing), and so the only thing I am missing from SpeakEasy is the ability to specify the speak location and volume right in the text to be spoken, and that I can either live without or temporarily handle with a script until SpeakEasy is done.

I am all ears if you know somebody else willing to convert it earlier, but until the number of hours in a day increases I cannot make any promises.

Old February 13th, 2014, 01:02 PM
Seer Plus

I just ordered a Relay8 from you guys to try to replace the Adicon relay unit. Unfortunately, it is not supported by Speakeasy on HS2 nor by BLSpeak on HS3 so I still haven't found a solution. I'd think that the rewrite of Speakeasy could pretty easily add the Relay8 control along with the other 5 or 6 it has.

I'll have to play with the Relay8 plugin to see what sort of devices are created. The BLSpeak plugin will address X10 devices but I don't think I can fake it out to talk to the Relay8.

My goal right now is to eliminate all or as much X10 as I can but I've gotta have my zone control for speaking.

I'll wait to see what develops and hang in here with HS2 for now. The compelling reason for going to HS3 is the instant status of my Jasco/GE modules. Its allows me to automate things that I formerly could only do with X10 like having all outside light switches cut on any time one of them is pressed, etc. That way I don't need a ridiculously expensive zone or scene controller.

I know. Growing pains will be here for awhile.
Old February 13th, 2014, 01:46 PM
OverSeer

HS Logo

One of the 'under the hood' improvements in HS3 is how we have gone fully extensible on device control. If the devices were created properly and the plug-in is not trying to do an end-around and is using CAPI, then any plug-in should be able to control any device.

Old February 13th, 2014, 06:59 PM
OverSeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennesaw10 View Post
I just ordered a Relay8 from you guys to try to replace the Adicon relay unit. Unfortunately, it is not supported by Speakeasy on HS2 nor by BLSpeak on HS3 so I still haven't found a solution. I'd think that the rewrite of Speakeasy could pretty easily add the Relay8 control along with the other 5 or 6 it has.

I'll have to play with the Relay8 plugin to see what sort of devices are created. The BLSpeak plugin will address X10 devices but I don't think I can fake it out to talk to the Relay8.
Before you get too into the Relay8 just an FYI. The Relay8 plug-in is not working for HS3 yet. I have a bugzilla report in on it.

I also use BLSpeech and you can pretty much make it do or control anything you want. I use speakers controlled via UPB modules but could just as easily use Relay8 devices.
Playing with HS3 a bit but it's just play at this point.
Old February 14th, 2014, 05:52 PM
Seer Plus

Well I got my Relay8 today and was pleased to see an option in my HS2 SpeakEasy plugin to control HS devices. I plugged in the code for the Relay8 devices and everything works just fine.

If HS does not want to convert SpeakEasy, perhaps we can get Blade to modify BLSpeech to control HS devices as well. I've put a note on his discussion board.

If I can get this working, I'm pretty much dumping my Ocelot. I had been using it for X10 control and relay switching only. It does not look like the HS3 Ocelot plugin will be out here anytime soon either.
Old February 16th, 2014, 11:35 AM
Seer Plus

Default BLSpeech Has Been Modified

The BLSpeech plugin has been modified to handle an HS devices for on/off control. I assume Blade uses the CAPI ability in HS3.

You can now use the Relay8 or other devices controlled by device codes in the BLSpeech plugin. This will enable me to dump the Ocelot and use the Relay8 for speaker switching and I am abandoning the rest of my X10 stuff that wasa controlled by the Ocelot. I gave up on Infrared stuff long ago.

I like SpeakEasy and have used it for years, but if it can't be kept up-to-date, then BLSpeech is an excellent replacement.
Old February 16th, 2014, 11:38 AM
Seer Plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightwalker View Post
Before you get too into the Relay8 just an FYI. The Relay8 plug-in is not working for HS3 yet. I have a bugzilla report in on it.
Hmmm. My Relay8 is working just fine. On HS2, it works perfectly with SpeakEasy and with HS3, it now works with the BLSpeech plugin. I've had no issues with timeout or poll errors. I just wish it supported an "All On" or "All Off" command in HS3 as the plugin does in HS2.
Old February 16th, 2014, 12:25 PM
OverSeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennesaw10 View Post
Hmmm. My Relay8 is working just fine. On HS2, it works perfectly with SpeakEasy and with HS3, it now works with the BLSpeech plugin. I've had no issues with timeout or poll errors. I just wish it supported an "All On" or "All Off" command in HS3 as the plugin does in HS2.
It does have a all off but no all on. I use my relay8 for decorative LED lighting around the house and have found that depending on what's on other relays will come on or go off, especially in the 4 to 8 range. For example if I turn on the relay for number 5, number 2 and 3 will go off. I've also gotten lots of log errors about polling. I forget who was working on it before CES but they confirmed and promised to look at the problem. Hopefully that will be soon. I get lots of these types of errors in the HS3 log.

2/16/2014 12:42:19 PM ~!~Rain8~!~Error in Poll Thread, Conversion from string "0F" to type 'Long' is not valid.
2/16/2014 12:43:19 PM ~!~Rain8~!~Error in Poll Thread, Conversion from string "0F" to type 'Long' is not valid.
2/16/2014 12:44:19 PM ~!~Rain8~!~Error in Poll Thread, Conversion from string "0F" to type 'Long' is not valid.
2/16/2014 12:46:19 PM ~!~Rain8~!~Error in Poll Thread, Conversion from string "EF" to type 'Long' is not valid.

This is in HS3, in HS2 it all works perfectly, has for years. Makes me wonder what's different between your system and mine. Right now the only thing sort of working in my HS3 system is the Relay8 plug-in. It was where I decided to start my quest for a HS3 update while waiting for UPB to be updated.
Playing with HS3 a bit but it's just play at this point.

Last edited by nightwalker; February 16th, 2014 at 12:43 PM.