Added second Rain8net and now HS can't find either controller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Added second Rain8net and now HS can't find either controller

After changing the address on the new module to "2" and connecting the two together, I seem to be able to control either bank of relays. However, I get this message every few seconds: "Warning, timed out waiting for poll response, is there a controller at address 1" and then "...2" If I disconnect one of the controllers, the corresponding message goes away. Of course it now announces the disconnected one, correctly so.
    I later noticed in the instructions I should have no controllers listed when programming addresses of a controller. I hope to avoid reprogramming events for the first 8 relays and didn't want to do all that for the sake of trying something. Are these two things even related? Is there a way to make this message go away, since the relays seem to work. I am using version 1.0.0.10 of RainRelay8 to control the relays. No problems when I had just one controller, but needed expansion space.

I don't have much to offer, except that I have noticed three things:

1. There is some serious voodoo involved in the rain8 plugin...I have not been successful at all in my efforts to figure it out, though I do *eventually* win.

2. Add up the amps drawn on the whole system. The controllers use .7 each, i think. Make sure that your power supply is capable of powering all of your relays and the controllers.

3. The WGL support (Warren) is VERY helpful, though I've always suspected the problems I was having (similar to yours) are with the plugin...you may be confirming that.

Good luck!

Ian
    Plugins:
    BLLogMonitor, BLGarbage, BLBackup, BLOutGoingCalls, BLUps, BLRfid, JvEss, DooMotion, Applied Digital Ocelot, AC RF Processor, UltraMon, PJC AVR 430, UPB, Rain8net, DSC Panel, JRiver Media center, Windows Media Player, SageMediaCenter, SnevlCID, MCSTemperature.

Comment

If the plugin has a bug please report it via the HS help desk process.
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Update

I rebooted, restarted the plug-in, and tried moving things around. Now it only complains about the "missing controller" for the controller at the end of the daisy chain. The one with the RS232 direct feed is not "missing". Attached is the log file showing when I made the switch from 1-2 so now it can't find "1". The home page and events page still work to turn the relays on and off, and correctly report in the log file as well as on the RainRelay8 status page. However, I don't see any response to the on/off buttons on the RainRelay8 status page--from either controller in either configuration.

5/29/2010 2:37:24 PM RainRelay8 Warning, timed out waiting for poll response, is there a controller at address 2
        5/29/2010 2:37:41 PM RainRelay8 Warning, timed out waiting for poll response, is there a controller at address 2
        5/29/2010 2:37:57 PM RainRelay8 Warning, timed out waiting for poll response, is there a controller at address 2
        5/29/2010 2:38:13 PM RainRelay8 Warning, timed out waiting for poll response, is there a controller at address 1
        5/29/2010 2:38:30 PM RainRelay8 Warning, timed out waiting for poll response, is there a controller at address 1
        5/29/2010 2:38:46 PM RainRelay8 Warning, timed out waiting for poll response, is there a controller at address 1
        5/29/2010 2:39:02 PM RainRelay8 Warning, timed out waiting for poll response, is there a controller at address 1

Comment

It would be interesting to try one of the other (non-HST) plugins for the rain8net, just to increase the diagnostic data available.
          Plugins:
          BLLogMonitor, BLGarbage, BLBackup, BLOutGoingCalls, BLUps, BLRfid, JvEss, DooMotion, Applied Digital Ocelot, AC RF Processor, UltraMon, PJC AVR 430, UPB, Rain8net, DSC Panel, JRiver Media center, Windows Media Player, SageMediaCenter, SnevlCID, MCSTemperature.

Comment

Just upgraded my HS system to windows 7, everything works fine but the relayrain8 plugin from HS Tech.

Anyone have it running in windows 7?

Comment

Originally posted by dhellis View Post
              Just upgraded my HS system to windows 7, everything works fine but the relayrain8 plugin from HS Tech.

Anyone have it running in windows 7?
              I am using Win7 and am using the rain8net plugin from HST, but as i've mentioned previously, it is a bit of voodo. I had it working well, moved the wiring on two stations, and ended up having to spend the next 3 hours messing with it because I was getting the same result that Klisiak has mentioned. I don't remember how and what I did, but eventually through desperate attempts of adding, deleting, restarting HS, using the plugin to add, using the WGL utility to add, somehow I finally got it to work again (which is odd, because nothing I did should have even caused it in the first place).

Now I'm scared to even look at it, for fear I'll Jinx it.
              Plugins:

Comment

mcsSprinklers supports the Rain8Net. I believe Larry Pitman has a plugin for it. There is also an xAP connector for the Rain8Net. The Rain8Relay and Rain8Net has the same communication protocol.

Comment

Still on WIN-XP

Not wanting to touch anything (and since I am not running anything else demanding an upgrade), Homeseer and the Rain8Net are all wired into the same computer, still running XP. This worded fine for over a year and equally well for another year before the Z-wave Thermostat driver installation shakedown episode. Last fall the RFID stopped working. I replaced the tags, which were two years old and getting low on internal battery, but the problems remained (losing contact with tags and/or readers, generating false triggers). That seems to have some voodoo in it as well. I disabled those to a day I had more time. Now that I have been forced to play around with this, I am trying to get that working properly once again as well. It is possible iAutomate RFID somehow interacts with the Z-wave Thermostats, but I don't recall these events as concurrent.

Meanwhile, I have temporarily disconnected the new Rain8Net module and that is back to normal (if I delete the corresponding second rain8net address). I have noticed that like many Windows interface drivers, you need to reboot before some changes take effect and that some Homeseer plug-ins can't be changed or updated unless you disable Homeseer and reboot as well.

Comment

Resolution?

When in doubt follow just one manual and only one manual?!? Basically, I took the sprinkler system down and rebuilt it following the instructions for RainRelay8 to the letter. I think the mistake was following any of the instructions that came with the hardware (albeit very helpful sounding stuff) and then switching to the software instructions for "that part".

This worked:
                    Deleted my initial install of controller 2.
                    Reboot
                    Connected only controller 2--no supply, loads or controller 1
                    Create controller 2 using fields in RR8 status page
                    Create devices for controller 2 in RR8 status page
                    Reboot
                    Connect entire C1, load, supply, C2 daisy chain
                    Reboot
                    Configure relays in RR8 (polling = 0) and then in HS
                    Reboot
                    Test

I don't think it was that simple unfortunately, as I also liberally rebooted the system without HS, reinstalled the latest HS update, and then rebooted, more than once, in between doing every housekeeping option in HS (optimization, polling/deleting/relocating weak/failing nodes, etc.) before doing the list above. None of this should have mattered. Also I noted in the instructions that you can just turn off polling (not needed if you use HS timers, not R8N timers), which I did in the "configure" step. Initially, it only resulted in not recording the constant pinging in the log, but the next reboot seemed to have fixed that too.

Moral: 1) No system can worship 2 masters.
                    2) If Bill gates designed any part of your system, reboot--now.

Comment

I've had to adjust my two Rain8's only about 3-4 times since installation (6-7 years).

When doing so always only had one of the two directly connected serially. I would program Rain8 device #1 - validate its setup disconnect it and connect Rain8 Device #2.

After all was well then would interconnect the two devices and never have any problems. The only issues I had were related to disconnecting one or the other manually and programming it. (which really was never much of an issue).
                      - Pete

Auto mator
                      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                      HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                      HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Working...
                      X