Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is RCS TR40 RS-485 Supported using HS3 RCS Serial Plugin - Plugin now working!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have had these RS485 to RS232 conveters go bad, including at least one that went bad right out of hte package. The brans that Uncle Michael has not been the most reliable in my hands. This converter is what I am using now and it's been flawless so far. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Comment

Last edited by dzee; March 28, 2015, 03:40 PM.

Comment

yes... mine works.. make sure you have the TR40 to transmit
        Ubuntu on the Intel NUC ( 8i5BEK ), 32 G, 250G SSD, V4 Pro 😎

Comment

Originally posted by gearyt View Post
          yes... mine works.. make sure you have the TR40 to transmit
          What does that mean? The TR40 transmits without a problem to a home automation controller for the past 10 years. It continues to do so when I connect it to my old HA controller (StarGate) but doesn't work when I connect it to the RCS Serial plug-in. Do you have any specific advice as to how connect it to the RS485 adapter like Uncle Michael provided? His recommendation allowed me to get this far.

Comment

Originally posted by dzee View Post
            What does that mean? The TR40 transmits without a problem to a home automation controller for the past 10 years. It continues to do so when I connect it to my old HA controller (StarGate) but doesn't work when I connect it to the RCS Serial plug-in. Do you have any specific advice as to how connect it to the RS485 adapter like Uncle Michael provided? His recommendation allowed me to get this far.
            Did you turn debug on so you can watch the communication ?

Comment

I am still using HS2, so I cannot speak to operation with the HS3 plug-in, but I do see the current states of all functions after restart, but it takes a few minutes for the data to appear. I use a polling interval of 60 seconds.

In order to populate virtual devices with those values I run a script once a minute. (That is in addition to the polling done by the plug-in.) The scripting commands can be found here.

This is the script that I use (in HS2):
              Code:
              Sub Main(parm as object)

Dim strMode As String

If hs.DeviceTime("T3") < 10 Then Exit Sub        'Wait 10 min after HS restart

Dim objRCS As Object =  hs.Plugin("RCS Serial Thermostats")

hs.SetDeviceValue("T60", CInt(objRCS.GetTemp(1,2)))    'Outside Temp
                  hs.SetDeviceString("T60", CStr(hs.DeviceValue("T60")))

hs.SetDeviceValue("T61", CInt(objRCS.GetTemp(1,1)))    'Living Temp
                  hs.SetDeviceString("T61", CStr(hs.DeviceValue("T61")))

hs.SetDeviceValue("T62", CInt(objRCS.GetTemp(2,1)))    'Sleeping Temp
                  hs.SetDeviceString("T62", CStr(hs.DeviceValue("T62")))

hs.SetDeviceValue("T58", CInt(objRCS.GetHeatSet(1,1)) + 2)    'Fan Set Point
                  hs.SetDeviceString("T58", CStr(hs.DeviceValue("T58")))

hs.SetDeviceValue("T63", objRCS.GetCurrentMode(1,1))    'Living Mode
                              Select Case hs.DeviceValue("T63")
                                  Case 0
                                      strMode = "Off"
                                  Case 1
                                      strMode = "Heat"
                                  Case 2
                                      strMode = "Cool"
                                  Case 3
                                      strMode = "Auto"
                                  Case 4
                                      strMode = "EMHT"
                                  Case Else
                                      strMode = "???"
                              End Select
                  hs.SetDeviceString("T63", strMode)
                              If hs.DeviceValue("T63") = 0 Then
                      hs.SetDeviceStatus("T63", 3)
                              Else
                      hs.SetDeviceStatus("T63", 2)
                              End If        

hs.SetDeviceValue("T64", objRCS.GetCurrentMode(2,1))    'Sleeping Mode
                              Select Case hs.DeviceValue("T64")
                                  Case 0
                                      strMode = "Off"
                                  Case 1
                                      strMode = "Heat"
                                  Case 2
                                      strMode = "Cool"
                                  Case 3
                                      strMode = "Auto"
                                  Case 4
                                      strMode = "EMHT"
                                  Case Else
                                      strMode = "???"
                              End Select
                  hs.SetDeviceString("T64", strMode)
                              If hs.DeviceValue("T64") = 0 Then
                      hs.SetDeviceStatus("T64", 3)
                              Else
                      hs.SetDeviceStatus("T64", 2)
                              End If        

hs.SetDeviceValue("T65", objRCS.GetFanMode(1,1))    'Fan Mode
                              If hs.DeviceValue("T65") = 0 Then
                      hs.SetDeviceString("T65", "Auto (Off)")
                      hs.SetDeviceStatus("T65", 3)
                              Else
                      hs.SetDeviceString("T65", "On")
                      hs.SetDeviceStatus("T65", 2)
                              End If        

hs.SetDeviceValue("T66", objRCS.GetModeSet(1,1))    'Living Mode Set
                              Select Case hs.DeviceValue("T66")
                                  Case 0
                                      strMode = "Off"
                                  Case 1
                                      strMode = "Heat"
                                  Case 2
                                      strMode = "Cool"
                                  Case 3
                                      strMode = "Auto"
                                  Case 4
                                      strMode = "EMHT"
                                  Case Else
                                      strMode = "???"
                              End Select
                  hs.SetDeviceString("T66", strMode)

objRCS = Nothing

End Sub
              Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
              HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Thanks for Script Sample

Uncle Michael. Thanks for posting that scripting sample. That will eventually come in very handy though I gotta get this thing to work fully, first. Your wiring sample also helped by giving me some peace of mind that I at least had the wiring right. I ended up with a RS485 adapter that is a near twin to yours in both the beige 232/485 converter itself and the screw terminal circuit board markings. This is a key reason I'm at a loss as to why mine doesn't work. The HS3 vs HS2 sounds like it's the only difference in our setups.

I'm going to fiddle some more next weekend when I have some time. Thanks again for your input!

Comment

Debug

Yes. I put on debug and I'm seeing events in the log for my commands, and if I unplug the connection I see timeout errors. I also have USB to serial cable with LEDs that is showing me traffic, but I can't tell if it is one vs two way. I'm not near my system, but do you have any knowledge of specific log entries that would demonstrate that data is coming down from the T-Stat to HS3?

Comment

there is free software out there that will monitor and translate the traffic back and forth

Comment

Apparently not worth fixing...

Okay, I'm going to sound a bit disgruntled, but I can't begin to express the frustration I'm feeling about this issue. It has been an ongoing problem for well over a year now (see the thread on Bugzilla bug #1429 @ http://bugzilla.homeseer.com/bugzill...ug.cgi?id=1429). This is also has been discussed in a other threads, all with no meaningful action.

There has been good documentation provided suggesting possible causes for this issue, but ABSOLUTELY NOTHING has been done - not even communication updates. Like so many other HS users out there, everything was flawless under HS2, but the HS3 version seems VERY broken. The communication directly off the serial bus under the HS3 version is subtly different than its HS2 counterpart... HS2 works flawlessly, HS3 does not. Certainly sounds like something to consider, wouldn't you say?

HS Support is non-existent lately on this and other issues. Maybe they're more interested in pushing hardware these days... please, please someone prove me wrong! I don't mean to beat anyone up, but do something already! HS is a great product, but if this becomes the norm, you will be doomed.

If nothing else, post the source as public domain so someone else can try to fix it.

Comment

How Do You Get HS2?

sdwinkleman, are you having the same symptoms I am describing? The RCS Serial plug-in connecting to TR40 will send changes to the T-Stat (modes, fan on/off, change setpoints), but the HS3 plugin doesn't show inside temp and any changes made locally on the T-Stat? My setpoints are always 40/40 when I start the plug-in.

Does anyone know how can I get HS2, so I can test on that platform and see if it works better? The Store doesn't seem to sell it. Can I download it and use it for free? Can I use my HS3 license?
                        Last edited by dzee; April 3, 2015, 11:18 PM.

Comment

Does anyone know how can I get HS2, so I can test on that platform and see if it works better? The Store doesn't seem to sell it. Can I download it and use it for free? Can I use my HS3 license?
                          If you select the 'Support' tab in the blue bar at the top of the HS Message Board, you can choose the 'Support' drop-down and then 'Downloads' and 'Older Downloads'. That will get you to links to the HS2 installers.

I recall reading that an HS3 license includes a license to HS2 as well, but you should probably confirm that.
                          Attached Files
                          Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
                          HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

It took years for HS to fix serious defects in this plug-in for HS2. It's not flawless but it can be used now. See this thread for the last unofficial version before it was abandoned:

http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=156922

Comment

Originally posted by sdwinkelman View Post

HS Support is non-existent lately on this and other issues. Maybe they're more interested in pushing hardware these days... please, please someone prove me wrong! I don't mean to beat anyone up, but do something already! HS is a great product, but if this becomes the norm, you will be doomed.

If nothing else, post the source as public domain so someone else can try to fix it.
                              I tryed to work w/ Wade when HS3 Beta'd but gave up. I will pay Spud to fix it and improve it if they will release the source to open or him !!
                              If Rich or anyone from HS has any questions, please check the old Bugzilla files for problems and enhancement requests !! The correspondence back and forth got to the point of being DUMB.

Comment

sdwinkleman, are you having the same symptoms I am describing? The RCS Serial plug-in connecting to TR40 will send changes to the T-Stat (modes, fan on/off, change setpoints), but the HS3 plugin doesn't show inside temp and any changes made locally on the T-Stat? My setpoints are always 40/40 when I start the plug-in.

dzee,

I believe so on the symptoms - the plug-in sees nothing the thermostat sends back, so the status never changes/updates. The "core" functions usually work (setting fan/mode/setpoints) from HomeSeer, but I cannot send messages or set the outside temp reading or see what the current temp is.

The HS2 version may not have been perfect in some regards, but at least for me it was solid, reliable and allowed me to fully use the thermostat's functionality. In my environment, it did perform flawlessly.

As Uncle Michael mentioned, the older stuff is still available, but I didn't think HS3 included a HS2 licenses. The HS2 versions of plug-ins, I've been told are not included when you buy the HS3 equivalent. Maybe they'll make exceptions - its certainly worth asking.
                                Last edited by sdwinkelman; April 4, 2015, 06:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X