Measurring current

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Measurring current

I'm exploring on using HS for monitoring a project in which I would like to measure voltage, wattage and current. I already have a CCEnvi which takes care of voltage and wattage drawn but was wondering if anyone knows how to measure current draw (amps) into HS.

Rob
    HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

One option is you can use an arduino with a current sensor (there are hundreds of them out there, differently rated for different max currents) and just throw the data into a serial port and then into a script in HS.

Although I am wondering is there a reason you can just use I=P/V and work it out from your other two values?

Comment

Thanks... I suppose that would by dynamic enough given the information would come from the CC. Good point!

...though, I have no knowledge of arduino other than absolute basic - it would interest me in knowing all you can do with it.

Thanks

Edit: While I already have a CC for my house, this would be for a separate project and was wondering if you can still get them. Are they still available?
      Last edited by langenet; March 27, 2015, 02:23 PM.
      HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Originally posted by langenet View Post
        I'm exploring on using HS for monitoring a project in which I would like to measure voltage, wattage and current. I already have a CCEnvi which takes care of voltage and wattage drawn but was wondering if anyone knows how to measure current draw (amps) into HS.

Rob
        Math could also get you current - wattage / voltage = current.
        HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Originally posted by langenet View Post
          Thanks... I suppose that would by dynamic enough given the information would come from the CC. Good point!

...though, I have no knowledge of arduino other than absolute basic - it would interest me in knowing all you can do with it.

Thanks

Edit: While I already have a CC for my house, this would be for a separate project and was wondering if you can still get them. Are they still available?
          You are pretty much limited by your imagination with an Arduino but saying that it is just it probably has the widest support and existing examples to adapt to your purpose. There is all sorts of other stuff you could do with it really. This could be useful http://openenergymonitor.org/emon/node/58

I do worry about the CC meter because it looks like the eBay and Amazon store for Current Cost have no actual meters in them (an odd collection of parts but not the actual meters), I don't know whether the company has dried up or what.

Are you able to say exactly what you are doing? Just wonder if you really need a CC meter or you can do it all with something DIY. Another thing I was thinking was a clamp meter with a RS232 output, I have a cheap multimeter with a serial output (however a non clamp meter) but wondering if there clamp meters out there that could save you some work and you just get the data into HS that way.

Comment

Working...
          X