SkyBell Doorbell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SkyBell Doorbell

Well I broke down and bought a SkyBell Doorbell. Got it all installed and happy to say, so far I like it!

The whole process only took about 15 minutes to get up and running.

To install...disconnect old doorbell, attach new backplate, attach old wire to new Skybell and place the Skybell on the backplate. Screw in the safety set screw and that part is done.

Now for the app. For me it's Android, downloaded from the Play store..create new account, type in the mac address of the doorbell and it connects. Once it connects to the Wifi, wait for about 5 minutes for the SkyBell to update itself. That's it!

My impressions so far:
    - It looks sharp on the wall
    - The wide angle lens captures my 12 ft wide deck without a problem and captures the whole person standing just a couple feet from it.
    - The audio is perfect but can very easily carry on a conversation with the person standing there.
    - Wish we could add the camera to Blue Iris but being able to turn the camera on demand is a nice feature.
    - I sent a feedback form in asking when/if there would be an open API or a dedicated IP address for the camera but haven't heard anything back yet.
    - Haven't had it long enough yet to test the night vision..will let you know tomorrow!
    - I also went around and added the app to each of my Android tablets, now I can see who is at the door from any room of the house even if I don't have my phone on me.

Looks like I'm going to be getting another for my front door!

I've attached a couple screenshots from within the App.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by TechHA; March 12, 2015, 09:14 PM. Reason: Added night time picture
    Bryan
    Software/Hardware: Win10 Pro, HS 3 Pro, HS Touch, Echo, Edgeport/4, Z-Net w/88 Devices, Insteon PLM w/19 Devices, Nest, GC-100-6, W800RF32A, WS-2080 Weather Station (KMADRACU10)
    Plug-in/Scripts: Alexa API, BLBackup, BLGData, BLLED, BLLock, BLRF, BLTVGuide, Blue Iris, BLUPS, Current Cost 3P, DirectTV, FitbitSeer, Insteon, Nest, Pushover 3P, Random, Restart, Tasker, UltraGCIR3, UltraWeatherWU, Z-Wave

I would totally get it but my doorbell is in a corner, very small area between brick and the door...

Comment

Did you consider Ring.com when searching for these doorbells?
      https://ring.com/
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
        Did you consider Ring.com when searching for these doorbells?
        https://ring.com/
        I did, it was actually your post that got me looking at these again. Neither one of them had a decent first version. The Ring (doorbot) was an absolute train wreck but looks like they have learned a lot from their mistakes. The new Ring has great reviews and seems to be a nice product.

As for the SkyBell, the first version worked but had some very annoying 'features'. Like, beebing outside at the doorbell when someone walked up to it. With the new 2.0 version, they really have stepped up the game. They seem to be listening to what the customer wants. Hopefully they will add an API into the mix soon. For me the biggest difference was the fact that the SkyBell lets you turn the camera on at will, not just when the bell is pushed.

Time will tell if I made the right choice, who knows I may get a Ring for my front door.
        Bryan
        Software/Hardware: Win10 Pro, HS 3 Pro, HS Touch, Echo, Edgeport/4, Z-Net w/88 Devices, Insteon PLM w/19 Devices, Nest, GC-100-6, W800RF32A, WS-2080 Weather Station (KMADRACU10)
        Plug-in/Scripts: Alexa API, BLBackup, BLGData, BLLED, BLLock, BLRF, BLTVGuide, Blue Iris, BLUPS, Current Cost 3P, DirectTV, FitbitSeer, Insteon, Nest, Pushover 3P, Random, Restart, Tasker, UltraGCIR3, UltraWeatherWU, Z-Wave

Comment

If there were a plugin I would buy this thing IMMEDIATELY! As it stands there is some competition, as Rupp has noted. Also there is no API available. It would be priceless to be able to trigger events from a button press and to be able to feed the video to BI.
          I had been thinking about getting one of these http://www.asihome.com/ASIshop/produ...products_id=39 because you can put a relay in line that could trigger a contact closure that HS3 could understand. So am I correct in that this thing can work with an existing door bell? If so then a relay could still be used?

Please keep us posted!
          Originally posted by rprade
          There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

With the SkyBell, your existing chime and transformer are still in use. I've had two X10 DS10's hooked up to my chime (front and back bell) that send a signal to HomeSeer any time one of the bells is pressed. This still works great.

Anytime a button is pressed:
            - HomeSeer speaks throughout the house
            - BLLED sends messages to the reader boards
            - Pushover sends a message to our phones

And now I can see and speak to whoever is standing there using my phone or tablet, just not through HomeSeer.
            Bryan

Comment

I'm with S-F - I'd buy this thing immediately if there were an API and if I could use it as a regular webcam plugged into HS. I'm more interested in monitoring the front door than I am having an conversation with whomever is out there. Although that capability is nice.

That said, the form factor is awesome (better than the ring.com device in my quick glance's opinion), and running off the low voltage lines already in place is amazing! Couldn't ask for a simpler-to-install device with so much capability!

hjk
              ---

Comment

Who knows...maybe if someone from HomeSeer contacted SkyBell...

A long shot I know, but maybe having a major home automation company show interest in an API, it might just speed things up. It definitely would be a boost to their sales if it worked with HomeSeer.
                Bryan

Comment

I just got this email from a SkyBell engineer:

Hi Colin,
                  Thank you for contacting SkyBell Customer Care!
                  To answer the question to your inquiry, SkyBell has not released our API and at this time, it is not a main priority on our Road Map. When we decide to release the API, it will be announced on our website.
                  Please let us know if you have any further questions.
                  Kindly,
                  He didn't answer my question about exposing the video stream through a URL.

Comment

I just purchased the skybell from Amazon for $150. I'll do some packet captures to see if anything is exposed or can be reverse engineered.

Regards,
                    Ultrajones
                    Plug-ins: UltraMon, UltraM1G, UltraCID, Ultra1Wire, UltraLog, UltraWeatherBug, UltraPioneerAVR, UltraGCIR

Comment

Always good to hear! Hopefully you can see something.
                      Bryan

Comment

Originally posted by Ultrajones View Post
                        I just purchased the skybell from Amazon for $150. I'll do some packet captures to see if anything is exposed or can be reverse engineered.

Regards,
                        Ultrajones
                        I won't be able to try this after all The SkyBell won't fit on my door.
                        Plug-ins: UltraMon, UltraM1G, UltraCID, Ultra1Wire, UltraLog, UltraWeatherBug, UltraPioneerAVR, UltraGCIR

Comment

Damn!

Wanna give the name of the carpenter who trimmed out your door? Maybe we could demand reparations from him! If you were closer I'd go and make the necessary modifications for you in the hopes of a plugin.

Comment

Originally posted by Ultrajones View Post
                            I won't be able to try this after all The SkyBell won't fit on my door.
                            Their FAQ mentioned that they plan on building something for people whose SkyBell doesn't fit, but it's been there since back in version 1, so I don't know when they'll get to it.

What's the difference between version 1 and 2?

Comment

Here my front door has two glass framed side panels and the doorbell wiring is inside one piece of the frame. I recently updated to an LED push button and there wasn't much space to play with. I have brick around the door as the picture shows and would be a PITA to cut into the brick for a doorbell. Over the last few years I have cut brick to install more outdoor outlets. It was a PITA to do this.
                              Attached Files
                              - Pete

Auto mator
                              Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                              Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                              HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                              HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Working...
                              X