DIY Smart Film by Aeon Labs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY Smart Film by Aeon Labs

Has anybody else noticed this page on Aeon Labs website?

http://aeotec.com/smart-switchable-film-z-wave-wifi

This looks VERY interesting! I know there was a crowd funding project a while back for a very similar sounding product, wonder if this is what came of it?

Hopefully it won't be too expensive, been waiting for something like this for quite a while.
    Bryan
    Software/Hardware: Win10 Pro, HS 3 Pro, HS Touch, Echo, Edgeport/4, Z-Net w/88 Devices, Insteon PLM w/19 Devices, Nest, GC-100-6, W800RF32A, WS-2080 Weather Station (KMADRACU10)
    Plug-in/Scripts: Alexa API, BLBackup, BLGData, BLLED, BLLock, BLRF, BLTVGuide, Blue Iris, BLUPS, Current Cost 3P, DirectTV, FitbitSeer, Insteon, Nest, Pushover 3P, Random, Restart, Tasker, UltraGCIR3, UltraWeatherWU, Z-Wave

They've had it listed for quite some time now. I think I subscribed to the newsletter late last year and haven't heard anything new since then. I believe it was originally listed as z-wave only but it looks like they've added wifi support.

Cheers
    Al
    HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
    Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

This, like most Aeon Labs products, has been in the works for well over a year. I contacted them over a year ago about it and got some information which immediately turned me off. The cost was set to be purely astronomical. Something like $400 + / square meter. The power consumption AT IDLE was disturbing, though I don't remember specifics. And the icing on the cake was the terrible visible transmittance of the applied product when "clear". There is no window manufactured for a residential environment with such poor VT. 75% VT! Basically all modern windows greatly reduce VT to some degree but never anywhere near 25%!!! In fact I seem to recall there being some code compliance around a minimum VT. Fortunately I never have to think about that because all windows sold are, naturally, compliant. It really is a great idea but until they can bring the price and energy consumption way down and the VT waaaaaaay up it's nothing to interest me beyond as a curiosity.

It's great that their website says that this will help you with your heating bills! It will eliminate the majority of the solar gain through the window it's applied to thus increasing your heat load in heating seasons. It will help with cooling though. Hmm. Looks like they have somehow brought the energy usage down quite a bit. They probably have moved to a new vendor for the film, as there and many of them. There's actually a company not for from me which makes entire glass units with this functionality. It becomes opaque when energized. A great use for this stuff I saw was a glass divider next to a urinal in a garage next to a man cave. It was on a motion sensor so when you walked up to take care of business the window became opaque. Pretty nifty.

Sorry for the diatribe.

I work in residential energy efficiency.
      Originally posted by rprade
      There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

Working...
      X