Video Matrix / Whole home Video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Video Matrix / Whole home Video

What is the best way to have whole home video? I was thinking of having a HDMI video matrix and using Cat5 to get the video to TV's.

Can anyone tell me the best way to accomplish this? Is Monoprice the only switch that's supported in HS3?

Also, my computer running HS3 doesn't have an RS232 connection, will a USB to RS232 hub work for connecting the hub and similar devices?
    Last edited by cpd5899; June 9, 2016, 10:42 PM.

I'm interested in this as well, especially if it can run over CAT5/6 cables

Comment

I'm debating on installing this. It should be controllable by HomeSeer.
      http://www.video-storm.com/proddetail.asp?prod=vtx100

I'm really leaning towards this option right now, but I'm trying to get more information on future 4K support.

The other option I'm thinking is the Atlona Matrix:
      http://atlona.com/product/at-uhd-pro3-44m/

It should also be controllable by HomeSeer. Both will probably require some tinkering to make them work smoothly... but I'm tired of replacing Monoprice equipment every 1.5 years or so.

Comment

Why not go with roku?

Comment

I have a FireTV and have no need for Roku. I have a DVD player, Directv, Fire Tv, XBOX and Playstation. I know this is more then 4 which most matrix are, but I would like to be able to push the TV to the bar and the family room at the same with without having to have two directv boxes or splitting each HDMI and having to change the inputs all the time and then I can also control from HST.

Comment

Originally posted by ckellyusa View Post

I'm really leaning towards this option right now, but I'm trying to get more information on future 4K support.

It should also be controllable by HomeSeer. Both will probably require some tinkering to make them work smoothly... but I'm tired of replacing Monoprice equipment every 1.5 years or so.
            Ckelly... How would I go about controlling these if there is no plugin? I am not very versed in scripting and reply mostly on plugins and events

Comment

I have three Monoprice 4x4 switches (Item 8151) which is one the plugin doesn't work with. I am using the RS232-USB adapters connected to a USB hub connected to HS3 computer. I wrote a few scripts after a lot of trial and error. I am not a regular scripter so it took a while.

I do agree Monoprice is not the best thing around because they do go out after a year or two. My Cat6 outputs from the matrices are starting to go out but the HDMI outs seem to work a little longer. As the Cat6 outputs go out, I am purchasing the below to use the HDMI outs and I have been very impressed with it.

AV Access 4K HDMI extenders

Yes it is a bit of a mess but everything has its place and is functional I do plan to straighten everything up at some point but it is behind closed doors and is one of those out of site out of mind things.

Comment

Originally posted by ckellyusa View Post

How do you get it to work without a plugin? I'm a NOOB to all this and don't know any scripting.

Comment

Originally posted by cpd5899 View Post
                  How do you get it to work without a plugin? I'm a NOOB to all this and don't know any scripting.
                  Hey, sorry I didn't see your previous post when you asked this as well. I haven't purchased the devices yet....having a hard time finding a dealer to work with. I would imagine--depending on the control scheme, that I could use something like the global cache controller and plugin to send commands.

Comment

so are you mainly stating you wish to push the SAME video around to each tv? or different things to different tvs?

wouldnt Plex or Emby be a good solution?

sorry I am not following the true need here...

as im interested in video around.. mine is different.. im doing live tv and dvrd stuff... around to diff tvs
                    HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

I do this - started about 8 years ago with a component switch (NeoThings) and added an HDMI switch a few years ago. Works well over Cat 5e/6, but the quality of the extenders are important.

I have the previous generation of this unit (mine doesn't do 4k):
                      http://www.hdtvsupply.com/shinybow-sb-5688k.html

For extenders, I use the HD BaseT's from worthington but if you don't have an account at Worthington I have also used the extenders on the link provided above pop down menu (either 150' or 300') - I bought some the switch and other stuff from HDTV Supply and was satisfied - their support was great. I am buying extenders now from Worthington because I had a few extenders die on me over time. The Worthington ones are a bit more expensive but seem more bullet proof and have been working very well.

The solution works well - I use Global Cache IR on each zone to handle the TV - I also have some Sonos sound bars working well too.

The ShinyBow can be controlled via ENet commands or RS232 - I use Main Lobby to control it because there is a plugin - then, I use HS to tell Main Lobby to control them using Blades ML plugin in HS.

I have DirecTV, Kodi box (with media portal PVR backend), Roku Box, AppleTV, Dune Player all centralized to several TV zones - all with a single Cat5e to each TV. I still use my Component to a few zones because in those zones, I am using Russound whole house MCA with zone audio speakers as the sound and that only takes analog audio inputs (can't deal with HDMI). Thus, I have a DirecTV receiver, a dune and a Roku with a HDMI/Analog converter. That is all too in my video rack so all A/V is central in my house.

Gotta say this is a labor of love - very expensive to say the least and at times, especially after a storm where my power is knocked out I have to play with the EDID to get it right (not often, but when it happens it is a painful process) - the HDMI needs to learn and it is important all zones have the same footprint (e.g. 1080p, 5.1). If I didn't use DirectTv I would go with Kodi boxes at each TV throughout - a Kodi box is ~$50 each, I could do the whole house cheap. It is nice to have everything tucked away downstairs on a video rack but when I finally leave DirecTv I most likely will de-centralize. Every year I go through that process on why do I keep DirecTV and every year, it is getting closer...

Comment

Originally posted by rileydogmi View Post
                        ...If I didn't use DirectTv I would go with Kodi boxes at each TV throughout - a Kodi box is ~$50 each, I could do the whole house cheap. It is nice to have everything tucked away downstairs on a video rack but when I finally leave DirecTv I most likely will de-centralize. Every year I go through that process on why do I keep DirecTV and every year, it is getting closer...

That is why I asked as I wasnt sure if I was missing anything. i have played with my setup and every extender possible to have happy WAF.. and the Intel Nuc running NextPVR for live tv then Plex to store recordings all works very well... and I wasnt sure if what you guys were doing was light years better and made me think maybe im doing it the jerry rigged way..
                        HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

Here have been with Direct TV since the beginning, then to a couple of Direct Tivos which worked great and were high on the WAF. Then DTV disabled my Tivo's (modded of course) and switched me to their product. Very first Sony DTV receiver had an RS-232 port on it that allowed me control via a terminal. (BUT that was way before HS).

Most recently with AT&T's purchase of DTV CS has gone down and it has been only one call to them. Aside from bundling deals now with 3 year contracts.

A couple of years ago AT&T slammed my cellular accounts (that were 25 years old) such that today I have nothing good to say about AT&T and looking forward to weaning myself off of DTV.

Recently Frontier took over my Verizon FIOS account. What a debacle. First thing they did was take down the old FIOS router. When I called for service they tried to sell me on a new Frontier contract.

The internet was down for 2 weeks and even a ticket opened up with the AG didn't. What a joke.
                          - Pete

Auto mator
                          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                          HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                          HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

There is something for everyone at :https://www.pulse-eight.com/p/184/ne...-w-hdbaset-pro IMAGE Below ======>

Just explore their site and you will be amazed. Sometimes one may think things were made for the likes of Crestron or Savant but think no farther. You can do it all if you try.

How about going abit "green", Check out this Raspberry PI blade :http://www.bitscope.com/product/blade/ Now that I have to have as long as live!

EDIT : Raspberry PI 3 has HDMI-cec built in!

Eman.
                            Attached Files
                            TinkerLand : Life's Choices,"No One Size Fits All"

Comment

And this guy here :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLMOlJYssms shows that you don't have big space to hide your wires.

But also in the world of extremes you got to be inspired by this guy too :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MzRNGlDcLs
                              Now that I would call extreme D.I.Y wiring

Eman.
                              Last edited by Eman; October 10, 2016, 11:50 AM.
                              TinkerLand : Life's Choices,"No One Size Fits All"

Comment

Working...
                              X