Cooper 3-Way Dimmer Associations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cooper 3-Way Dimmer Associations

I have a couple of questions that I was hoping someone could answer. I searched the forums and found various answers but not always in line with each other and doesn't answer some of mine. I have a simple 3-way setup with a Cooper RF9540-NAW Master Dimmer and a Cooper RF9542-ZAW Dimmer Accessory. I was able to add both switches into my Z-Wave network just fine. I then associated each switch with the other (master to accessory and Accessory to Master) However I am not 100% sure if I have the associations correct or need to do other actions. Here is what I see and below are the screen shots of the associations etc.
    The switches manually turn on and off the lights from both the Master and the Accessory switches. I can control the light just fine from the Device Management screen of HS3 but only using the Master device. If I try to turn the light on or off using the Accessory device in HS3 it changes state in HS3 but nothing actually happens with the light. And finally the status of the switches does not get reported back to HS3. If I turn the light on or off via either the master or accessory switch manually the status in HS3 never changes.So questions are:
    1. Do I need to add the association both ways on the Master and Accessory devices? If I just associated the Accessory to the Master it didn't seem to work properly when manually operated.
    2. Why can't I control the light thru HS3 via the accessory device? It's OK if I always have to use the Master I just need to know how it is supposed to work.
    3. Why doesn't the status change in HS3 when I manually adjust the light? I was under the impression that the Cooper switches did report all status where as GE did not.
    4. Why isn't the current status of the light reflected in HS3 on both the master and Accessory devices? If you look in the screen shot below you can see the master shows the light on where as the Accessory shows it off. Shouldn't they be in sync?
    5. Is there a way to group the Master and x many Accessory devices in HS3 so they all show as one unit? It's OK if not but I would think that since they all control the same load they should be grouped together.

I know that's a lot of questions but I am trying to understand why this is working this way. I am using HS3 ver 3.0.0.59 and Z-Wave with Z-Net ver 3.0.0.309.

Thanks

Andy
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Gunneyk; March 3, 2015, 03:36 PM.

Originally posted by Gunneyk View Post
    The witches manually turn on and off the lights from both the Master and the Accessory switches.
    Hi Andy,

If you have witches in your house, you may want to ask for help elsewhere .

Cheers
    Al

PS Sorry couldn't resist. Also, since I'm all Leviton, I can't help with the Cooper questions
    HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
    Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

I just moved into this house and already have witches. I thought I left them behind

Comment

I describe handling 3 way here:

http://board.homeseer.com/showpost.p...59&postcount=4

For dimmers here:

http://board.homeseer.com/showpost.p...8&postcount=15

You want both direct associations (so that things work w/ HS down) and some hooks in HS so that switches/dimmers status stays in sync.

WRT instant status, key thing to understand is that instant status only works if device is manually controlled. When it is controlled thru association by 2ndary device/hand controller it will NOT report status, UNLESS it supports group 255 association/HAIL command.

Comment

OK I will have to look at those posts a bit more when I have a minute but I think I get what you are saying. It is a shame that we pay all this money for these cooper switches so they can be associated with each other without a traveler wire and they can't even update each other. Thanks for the info.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunneyk View Post
            OK I will have to look at those posts a bit more when I have a minute but I think I get what you are saying. It is a shame that we pay all this money for these cooper switches so they can be associated with each other without a traveler wire and they can't even update each other. Thanks for the info.
            They can update each other just fine. Real problem is when you also want to have HS control them and also have HS status up to date. Seems most of the z-wave device manufacturers don't plan for good interaction with a gateway and core z-wave standard doesn't either.

Comment

Working...
            X