Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

non gps occupancy detection, any ideas?

Hi,
    i am getting close to having everything in HS3 able to be controlled.

so the next step for me is to take my system to the next level and really start automating.

one key piece is working out if the house is empty or not.

i want to use something that does not use gps due to the power requirements.

i have an app called llama on the android that uses the cell signal to determin where we are and it seems to work really well but it can't get it to talk to HS3.
    Llama: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ab.Llama&hl=en

has anyone done something like this?

thanks
    Raptor
    HS3 Pro on Windows 8 64bit
    53 Z-wave nodes(46 devices, 7 remotes), 15 DS10a's, 10 ms16a's, 9 Oregon Sensors, W800, RFXCOMtrx433, Way2Call, 3 HSTouch Clients, 2xRussound CAS44, Global Cache GC100-12,10 Rollertrol blinds(+ zwave) ,3 Squeezebox Radios and 1 Squeezebox Boom,DMX Arduino via ethernet,Rain8Net,3x Echo Dot's

Check out my electronics blog here:
    https://www.facebook.com/RaptorsIrrationalInventions

I used Llama with Vera and it sucked. It never had a clue where I was and the accuracy is so poor that it's all but useless.

Just my opinion though.
    Originally posted by rprade
    There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

Originally posted by S-F View Post
      I used Llama with Vera and it sucked. It never had a clue where I was and the accuracy is so poor that it's all but useless.

Just my opinion though.
      Mine does well at working out if i am home or not which is what i need.

how did you get it to talk to vera?
      53 Z-wave nodes(46 devices, 7 remotes), 15 DS10a's, 10 ms16a's, 9 Oregon Sensors, W800, RFXCOMtrx433, Way2Call, 3 HSTouch Clients, 2xRussound CAS44, Global Cache GC100-12,10 Rollertrol blinds(+ zwave) ,3 Squeezebox Radios and 1 Squeezebox Boom,DMX Arduino via ethernet,Rain8Net,3x Echo Dot's

Comment

One of the Vera remote control apps for android has Llama support. I don't think anyone used it though. I saw a bunch of people try it and give up in disgust.

Comment

Originally posted by S-F View Post
          One of the Vera remote control apps for android has Llama support. I don't think anyone used it though. I saw a bunch of people try it and give up in disgust.
          That is troubling. i just tried IFTTT and it failed to trigger...

Comment

Originally posted by Raptor View Post
            That is troubling. i just tried IFTTT and it failed to trigger...
            I have been using IFTTT (iOS location) to DropBox using Spud's plugin to determine whether my wife and I are home or not and then setting multiple virtual device states to home or away and triggering events off that. However, whilst this works most of the time, about once a week, one of us breaks in or out of our GeoFence and nothing happens - so it's not reliable enough. It seems to be network related, so could be my (or FiOS's problem).

I have just started playing with Sooty's PHLocation plugin and the Followmee app for iOS. It seems to work well, but I haven't converted over yet, just testing.

Of course, both of these are still GPS based, though I haven't noticed abnormal battery usage.
            cheeryfool

Comment

Motion sensors in the home are a good way to detect occupancy during the day. At night it's a different story.
              💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I use the motion sensors everywhere in the house to determine occupancy. has been working reliable for 9 years by now. I have a mix of ms13A and aeon multisensors. The ms13's are still the most reliable ones. But using motion sensors does not tell you who is in the house......

Aside of this i am using Pauls Phlocation plugin with Geofancy which is proving to be a quite reliable solution, where you also could add iBeacons if you wish. Advantage of Geofancy is that you can address the HS server directly without storing your location on some public middleware location.

I have been using Followmee for some time, but the update frequency had to be limited due to battery drainage. And this makes the occupancy notification to come in late. Also Followmee is storing the location on their database, which I try to avoid.
                Geofancy is hardly having impact on the battery for me and very accurate on the notification when you enter the fence.

Did not test iBeacons in Geofancy yet as I am a bit confused if I then would need to limit myself to apple devices only, which I would like to avoid.....

Wim
                -- Wim

Plugins: JowiHue, RFXCOM, Sonos4, Jon00's Perfmon and Network monitor, EasyTrigger, Pushover 3P, rnbWeather, BLBackup, AK SmartDevice, Pushover, PHLocation, Zwave, GCalseer, SDJ-Health, Device History, BLGData

1210 devices/features ---- 392 events ----- 40 scripts

Comment

Jonn's network monitor and Bluetooth detector work great for me! The front door usually unlocks as I walk up to it when my phone is either detected by blue tooth or Wi-Fi. And phlocation will send me an email if I get to far away from my house without setting it to away mode. Replying to the email tells homeseer to set the house to away.
                  https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/de...plifier-plugin

Comment

Originally posted by happnatious1 View Post
                    And phlocation will send me an email if I get to far away from my house without setting it to away mode. Replying to the email tells homeseer to set the house to away.

Could you please elaborate on this?

Comment

No 100% foolproof but one form of occupancy detection I use is:

Motion sensors in every room and contact sensors on all external doors of the house. I used to do this with a script in HS2 but in HS3 using a combination of events and timers I do this logic:

If any external door sensor becomes closed then start a timer. If this timer gets to 30 minutes then set the house to unoccupied. If any internal sensor becomes motion then stop and reset the timer and set the house to occupied.

This has worked well in combination with other methods. The only time it doesn't work is for example if there are 2 people in the house in bed and one gets up and leaves the house whilst the other stays in bed therefore not triggering any internal sensors.

Paul..

Comment

Originally posted by happnatious1 View Post
                        And phlocation will send me an email if I get to far away from my house without setting it to away mode. Replying to the email tells homeseer to set the house to away.
                        this is what i am trying todo except the away mode would be automatic.

Comment

Combination

I do the same thing that Paul does above but I also add in Jon00's bluetooth proximity PI. If the all the timers indicate no motion and both of our cell phones are not located then there ought to be no one home. Seems to work pretty well for me.

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by sooty View Post
                            No 100% foolproof but one form of occupancy detection I use is:

Motion sensors in every room and contact sensors on all external doors of the house. I used to do this with a script in HS2 but in HS3 using a combination of events and timers I do this logic:

If any external door sensor becomes closed then start a timer. If this timer gets to 30 minutes then set the house to unoccupied. If any internal sensor becomes motion then stop and reset the timer and set the house to occupied.

This has worked well in combination with other methods. The only time it doesn't work is for example if there are 2 people in the house in bed and one gets up and leaves the house whilst the other stays in bed therefore not triggering any internal sensors.

Paul..

That's where this device could come in handy https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/l...nto-a-smartbed

Comment

Does anyone have any GPS android apps that will do geofencing to homeseer?

i don't really want a motion sensor install at this time.

Comment

Working...
                              X