Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

control power converter for led lights

Ok so here is what I have going in..
    ended up not going with ebay lighting.. costing me a small fortune but that is another story.

what I need to know is I as told to do was dim the 120v side of the power converter....

so I need to know is there a dual switch in either UPB or Zwave that I could use?

crappy visual in visio so you get the idea...
    Attached Files
    HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

No, there wont be a switch to convert from 120V AC to 12V DC like your diagram. It will require a transformer.

What I use is a Z-Wave receptacle that has a transformer plugged in that powers the LED lights. You could just as easily use a Z-Wave switch that controls a Z-Wave plugin-in module that powers the transformer.
    Last edited by rmasonjr; September 29, 2016, 12:11 PM. Reason: words
    HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
    54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
    Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

yeah ... i have shows 2 transformers on the diagram..
      i have them already..

what I need is a switch that can handle turning on and off EACH transformer.. PLUS dim-able..

after talking to someone he said i could do this.. not cheap but hey wife wants it done right.. it is not gonna be cheap..
      Attached Files

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

I think the Aeon Micro Switches will do what you want. You can use a regular light switch to trigger the attached load and also control it with Z-Wave if you want:
        Attached Files

Comment

Here using small (MeanWell) but not small enough DIN 12VDC transformers.

Seen some users just mount the transformers on the top of the cabinet and run the LV down behind the cabinet (you would need to put 120VAC switched on the top then.

Googling found the attached dimming via 120VAC dimmer 12VDC LED transfomer

Another way to do this (without using UPB) would be to go with one color / RGB / RS-232 / wireless control.

Here also utilize dual load multiple paddle UPB (US22-40) switches. If only two loads the dual load UPB switch would work.

I went to all paddles (no more of the button switches except for one and many links now (2, 4 or 6). Originally replaced many single metal mud plates for dual plates. Then when downsizing switch footprint found a single cover that fits over a single UPB switch with a 4X4 mudplate. Only could find them in metal and they are over priced a bit. ($15-$20 each).

One switch for one dimming transformer would provide a nice even dimming.

Just last week here switched an old 4 foot 2 tube fluorescent lamp in the laundry room for an LED shop style 4 foot tube which is around 24 watts (180 watt brightness). Footprint is nice.

Very bright but WAF is not happen with the color.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Pete; September 29, 2016, 02:30 PM.
          - Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
          HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
          HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

well my wife wants to be able to dim them separately thus 2 circuits...

I am going backwards and installing. Last night got part of the kitchen done... tonight try and get a few more installed... so I'm saying backwards in the sense of I am installing from the tail end and running from there... manually hooking up the transformer to test...

but so far so good..

still ill just wait to figure out how to do this.

@rmasonjr - my dilemma at the end will be I need a way to
            1. turn on/off from HS
            2. dim from HS
            3. turn on/off locally
            4. dim locally

so I'm still searching through... even if I used the micro switches I still need to find that master switch setup. The wife doesn't like decora but I think I will HAVE to go to a double paddle style... don't think there is any way around it

********edited

any way around it other than turning the 3 gang box into a 5 gang box and using 2 separate zwave switches to do it which I may do

Comment

Originally posted by TeleFragger View Post
              well my wife wants to be able to dim them separately thus 2 circuits...

I am going backwards and installing. Last night got part of the kitchen done... tonight try and get a few more installed... so I'm saying backwards in the sense of I am installing from the tail end and running from there... manually hooking up the transformer to test...

but so far so good..

still ill just wait to figure out how to do this.

@rmasonjr - my dilemma at the end will be I need a way to
              1. turn on/off from HS
              2. dim from HS
              3. turn on/off locally
              4. dim locally

Ah - yeah, #4 would be tough to do.

Originally posted by TeleFragger View Post
              so I'm still searching through... even if I used the micro switches I still need to find that master switch setup. The wife doesn't like decora but I think I will HAVE to go to a double paddle style... don't think there is any way around it

********edited

any way around it other than turning the 3 gang box into a 5 gang box and using 2 separate zwave switches to do it which I may do
              I have a 3 gang box in our kitchen and am considering the same thing - making a 5 gang box. Believe it or not, the wife is ok with it I thought that would be a hard sell. When the weather gets cooler and I can get in the attic, I'm going to do it before she changes her mind

Comment

Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post
                I'm going to do it before she changes her mind

I hear ya...

this fricken setup is costing me a fortune.. need to go back and get more LED strips.. $220..

this will put me at $750 for under cabinet lighting...

Comment

Working...
                X