IP Control of TVs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IP Control of TVs

I know this has been brought up a few times in the past here on the forums but nothing too recent and I'd like to see what people are doing. I'm in the market for a new TV and of course, I'd like to have proper control of it through HS. I'd prefer to have the control over IP so I don't have to mess with anything else and I'd like to have the ability to turn on the TV which many models seem to be missing. This page: http://panasonic.jp/support/global/c...index.html#Q15 says that Panasonic Viera TVs built after 2012 should support power on over IP. Is anyone here doing much with the IP control? Are there other units that I should consider?

I have the Sharp Aquos. It seems to have very robust ip support with the commands well documented in the instruction manual.

I found with most IP control TV's there is a setting that you have to send the TV to enable remote power on. to meet their "energy star" ratings they tend to shut down completely out of the box. you can disable that mode in most of them, to keep the IP server awake, but in some models, the commands to enable that are not well documented. It is sometimes called "hotel mode" or "attendant mode". I've also noticed that since enabling that, my time to power on is noticeably faster... no warm up/ splash screen which i find nice too!

On my sharp, i currently have it setup to where i can issue commands and get the control i want through hyperterm, but i haven't gone the next step to get HS3 to send the commands. Not sure how i want to approach it either via script or possibly by an IP control plugin.

I started a thread here a week or so back but haven't gotten any farther on my implementation.

I'm kind of surprised nobody has written a plugin for generic IP TV control... based on the number of TV's that now have ip control and they go about it in much the same way (just with variations of text commands) it seems it would be fairly easy to make a universal plugin where you could specify your commands for your brand and have the plugin handle the rest, although i guess by the time you do all that you might as well just script it and be done...

Comment

Originally posted by ORNVM View Post
      ...I'm kind of surprised nobody has written a plugin for generic IP TV control... based on the number of TV's that now have ip control and they go about it in much the same way (just with variations of text commands) it seems it would be fairly easy to make a universal plugin where you could specify your commands for your brand and have the plugin handle the rest, although i guess by the time you do all that you might as well just script it and be done...
      I am not sure a generic plugin would ever work unfortunately...I created a plugin for a couple of LG TV's, what a nightmare that was, you would think that one manufacturer would have a similar approach but even though the commands were broadly similar the different options for different countries, different types of TV's (standard/3D/Smart etc) meant it was painful to even do one manufacturer in one plugin (I ended up with a number of plugins specific to the models), multi models for multi manufacturers sounds like a dream but I could see it being troublesome to support unfortunately.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. I'll have a look at the Sharp. I really appreciate when companies bother to document things. Panasonic hasn't done that and that will likely steer me away from their product.

Comment

Working...
        X