Inexpensive/Good Ceiling Speakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inexpensive/Good Ceiling Speakers

I recently purchased a Russound CAV system and am now interesed in getting some really good quality ceiling speakers but don't want to spend a tremendous amout of money. Does anyone have any recommendations?
    Thanks
    Stan

I too am interested in opinions on ceiling speakers, although with a slightly different parameter set. I need inexpensive ceiling speakers for TTS and occasionally for background music, and my only real requirement outside of price is that they don't sound tinny.

Guidelines: inexpensive = less than $100 per speaker. Preferrably much less.

So when you suggest good quality speakers for Stan, could you also include a suggestion for me as well?

Comment

Hi Stan,

I picked up a new brand recently www.proficientaudio.com which seems to be the best value I've found for in-wall & in-ceiling speakers.

They are a daughter company of SpeakerCraft and the quality is top-notch compared to offerings from other manufacturers in the same price range.

Previously I was installing mostly Russound speakers which are very nice, but the Proficient models in the same price range are better sounding and better quality.

They have several lines with retail prices from $150 - $575 per pair which in my opinion covers the sweet spot for whole-house audio. Spend less and you're giving up sound quality... pay more and your wasting money on a speaker that can't be appreciated when paired with the modest amps in the CAV6.6.

The Proficient C610 is a great value for a quality 6 1/2" in-ceiling speaker and retails for $175 pr. The C620's have a nicer sounding silk tweeter for $285 pr. Both speakers are very efficient at 91dB which pulls lots of sound out of the CAV6.6 20w per channel!

Have a look at the website and let me know if you have any questions... we offer discounted pricing to HS message board memebers to help give back to the community.

Cheers,
      Paul

Click to visit: www.sbsmarthomes.com
      Santa Barbara Smarthomes

Authorized Russound Dealer & Installer

Personal HA Website

HomeSeer User Profile

Comment

Originally posted by dantelope
        I too am interested in opinions on ceiling speakers, although with a slightly different parameter set. I need inexpensive ceiling speakers for TTS and occasionally for background music, and my only real requirement outside of price is that they don't sound tinny.

Guidelines: inexpensive = less than $100 per speaker. Preferrably much less.

So when you suggest good quality speakers for Stan, could you also include a suggestion for me as well?
        Hi Dan,

Take a look at AudioSource http://www.audiosource.net/.

They make some very resonably prices in-wall and in-ceiling speakers that are fine for TTS & background music.

I have some of these installed in my own home for distributed audio (mostly the 5 1/4" & 6 1/2" in-walls) which I've been using for around 4yrs without issue. I'm slowly upgrading to nicer speakers for evaluation and demos.

AudioSource speakers start around $50 pr.

Cheers,
        Paul

Click to visit: www.sbsmarthomes.com
        Santa Barbara Smarthomes

Authorized Russound Dealer & Installer

Personal HA Website

HomeSeer User Profile

Comment

I'm no audiophile . . .

having spent to many hours of my youth at concerts . . . usually standing way to close to the giant speaker towers . . . my hearing has suffered . . .

but for less than $160 a pair these sound great

Pete C

I love my country, but fear my government.

Comment

In my house, I have the CS-60R-SM Paradigm in-ceiling speakers per room:

http://www.paradigm.com/Website/Site...s/CS_Specs.htm

Mostly the speakers are used for TTS, music is fine too.

Simon

Comment

Thanks everyone! I will take a look at them today.

Comment

Having just gone through this, one of my distributors told me that he likes the Speco speakers. I wanted an 8" ceiling speaker, so he suggested a SP-8ECS speaker. I found them on the internet at about $70 a pair. He told me that he really could not tell the difference between these and the Russound speakers.

I haven bought any yet, so I cant say, but this was his advice.
                A computer's attention span is as long
                as it's powercord.

Comment

Thanks, all. I'm going to see if I can squeeze a couple of units into the MBR for evaluation...

Dan

Comment

I really like the Klipsch in ceiling speakers. I have them wired around the house and they have strong efficiency which is good for my 30watts per channel speakercraft amp. They sound really good for the price. They are worth a try.

Comment

After 8 years he probaly has changed his mind
                      - Bram

Send from my Commodore VIC-20

Ashai_Rey____________________________________________________________ ________________
                      HS3 Pro 3.0.0.534
                      PIugins: ZMC audio | ZMC VR | ZMC IR | ZMC NDS | RFXcom | AZ scripts | Jon00 Scripts | BLBackup | FritzBox | Z-Wave | mcsMQTT | AK Ikea

Comment

I did notice that after I had posted. Of course others may be searching for the same thing that I was and it may help them I guess.

Comment

Working...
                        X