Adding a Kwikset Deadbolt - How??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adding a Kwikset Deadbolt - How??

It's possible I'm being a bit slow, but, I've read through all the posts, and I'm still not able to get my Kwikset deadbolt (model 99100-006) added to Homeseer.

I've tried taking the Smart Stick (WDUSB-10) to the lock, and using Z-tool to add it. then I read the forums, and decided to take the lock to my HS server, and add the node directly. that didn't work either, there's no activity in the logs at all.

My first point of confusion is that I should be pressing 'button B', according to the instructions, however, button B is never identified. I've tried pressing the main button (the same one used to enter the user codes), and also the only other button I can see, which is near the top left of the PCB, and causes a local LED to glow red when pressed.

What am I doing wrong? Homeseer v 2.5.0.23.

Thanks, Pete

Bump...anybody? Pleeease? I'm not below begging :-)

Comment

For the KwikSet Lock - take the inside cover off - unscrew the 2 screws that hold Z-Wave board to the plate and unhook the connector. Take the inside part of the lock(z-wave portion) to the computer - Setup - Interfaces - Manage - Remove Devices - delete the Lock from HomeSeer after removeing the Lock use the ADD Device under Z-Wave Management - check the log and make sure the security handshake completes then when it finishes adding you should have a Root Device and 3 Child devices

Comment

Wow, complicated....thanks, will try this later today. I don't beleive the lock exists in Homeseer at all right now, but I'll try to delete it just in case.

Comment

When I was assembling one of my zwave deadbolts, I didn't install the electronics right away. Instead, I took it to my z-troller and added it to the network using HS menus. Maybe the Schlage deadbolt z-wave module is easier to work with outside the lock than the kwikset.

It sounds more complicated than it is.
          huggy_d1

Automating made easy

Comment

ok, so I took it all apart, and have the z-wave daughter board in my hand. however, there's no power to it, so how would the z-stick see anything? Anyway, after this brainwave I put the card back in and tried the remove, and sure enough, it worked. So is the moral of this story that you have to remove the daughterboard once for it to then work, as I'd already tried taking the complete (inside) lock to the PC before.

Anyway, once removed, and added, the following appeared in the log:

10/19/2011 7:31:51 PM - Z-Wave - **********
            10/19/2011 7:31:51 PM - Z-Wave - ********** Adding Z-Wave Device with Node ID of 21 Type GENERIC_TYPE_ENTRY_CONTROL=40H **********
            10/19/2011 7:31:51 PM - Z-Wave - Contacting node 21 to get supported features
            10/19/2011 7:31:51 PM - Z-Wave - Negotiating SECURITY SCHEME for (21)
            10/19/2011 7:31:51 PM - Error - The Z-Wave Security Subsystem is not initialized. Cannot add a secure node. Please restart HomeSeer to try again.
            10/19/2011 7:31:51 PM - Z-Wave - Failed to get SECURITY SCHEME from node 21. Device may not be added properly to HomeSeer.
            10/19/2011 7:31:51 PM - Z-Wave - The security device may have a timeout when adding to the network, bring the device close to HomeSeer and use the Add Node button to add it (remove it first)
            10/19/2011 7:31:51 PM - Z-Wave Warning - Failed to add new SECURE node 21 to the network securely - device will not operate properly.
            10/19/2011 7:31:51 PM - Z-Wave - Device: Z-Wave Z-Wave Interface (Node 21) supports class(es): COMMAND_CLASS_MANUFACTURER_SPECIFIC, COMMAND_CLASS_VERSION, COMMAND_CLASS_SECURITY
            10/19/2011 7:31:51 PM - Z-Wave - Attempting to get manufacturer ID from device 21...
            10/19/2011 7:31:51 PM - Z-Wave - Z-Wave manufacturer ID: 144=90H (Kwikset), Type: 1=1H, ID: 1=1H
            10/19/2011 7:31:51 PM - Z-Wave - Z-Wave device 21 version: Lib: 2.78 App: 1.3
            10/19/2011 7:31:51 PM - Z-Wave - ********** Done with Z-Wave Device with Node ID of 21 **********

And sure enough, it added 1 device, but it doesn't work. I restarted Homeseer as suggest in the log, but no joy. Any other ideas?

Thanks, Pete

Comment

If it helps, these are the Z-wave entries in the startup log:

10/19/2011 7:43:34 PM - Z-Wave - :- :- :- :- :- :- :- :- Initializing Z-Wave Interface -: -: -: -: -: -: -: -:
              10/19/2011 7:43:34 PM - Z-Wave - Initializing Z-Wave Interface on USB
              10/19/2011 7:43:34 PM - Z-Wave - Getting node information from controller...
              10/19/2011 7:43:35 PM - Z-Wave - Z-Wave interface1 version: 4
              10/19/2011 7:43:35 PM - Z-Wave - Z-Wave interface node ID: 1, Home ID: 00E66BAF
              10/19/2011 7:43:35 PM - Z-Wave - Found 18 Z-Wave nodes in interface node ID 1
              10/19/2011 7:43:35 PM - Z-Wave - Controller firmware version: 2.76
              10/19/2011 7:43:35 PM - Z-Wave - This Z-Wave PC Controller Library Version is: ZDK Version 4.27
              10/19/2011 7:43:35 PM - Z-Wave - This Z-Wave PC Controller is Type: ZW_LIB_INSTALLER

Comment

Originally posted by pwhite8314 View Post
                ok, so I took it all apart, and have the z-wave daughter board in my hand. however, there's no power to it, so how would the z-stick see anything? Anyway, after this brainwave I put the card back in and tried the remove, and sure enough, it worked. So is the moral of this story that you have to remove the daughterboard once for it to then work, as I'd already tried taking the complete (inside) lock to the PC before.

Anyway, once removed, and added, the following appeared in the log:

10/19/2011 7:31:51 PM - Z-Wave - ********** Adding Z-Wave Device with Node ID of 21 Type GENERIC_TYPE_ENTRY_CONTROL=40H **********
                10/19/2011 7:31:51 PM - Z-Wave - Contacting node 21 to get supported features
                10/19/2011 7:31:51 PM - Z-Wave - Negotiating SECURITY SCHEME for (21)
                10/19/2011 7:31:51 PM - Error - The Z-Wave Security Subsystem is not initialized. Cannot add a secure node. Please restart HomeSeer to try again.
                10/19/2011 7:31:51 PM - Z-Wave - Failed to get SECURITY SCHEME from node 21. Device may not be added properly to HomeSeer.
                10/19/2011 7:31:51 PM - Z-Wave - The security device may have a timeout when adding to the network, bring the device close to HomeSeer and use the Add Node button to add it (remove it first)
                10/19/2011 7:31:51 PM - Z-Wave Warning - Failed to add new SECURE node 21 to the network securely - device will not operate properly.
                10/19/2011 7:31:51 PM - Z-Wave - Device: Z-Wave Z-Wave Interface (Node 21) supports class(es): COMMAND_CLASS_MANUFACTURER_SPECIFIC, COMMAND_CLASS_VERSION, COMMAND_CLASS_SECURITY
                10/19/2011 7:31:51 PM - Z-Wave - Attempting to get manufacturer ID from device 21...
                10/19/2011 7:31:51 PM - Z-Wave - Z-Wave manufacturer ID: 144=90H (Kwikset), Type: 1=1H, ID: 1=1H
                10/19/2011 7:31:51 PM - Z-Wave - Z-Wave device 21 version: Lib: 2.78 App: 1.3
                10/19/2011 7:31:51 PM - Z-Wave - ********** Done with Z-Wave Device with Node ID of 21 **********

And sure enough, it added 1 device, but it doesn't work. I restarted Homeseer as suggest in the log, but no joy. Any other ideas?

Thanks, Pete
                I am having the same issue as your original post.

I've tried taking the card out of the deadbolt as well and bringing it to the computer but was unable to add this way either.

Can you tell me the steps you took when you did the remove?

Comment

You should be adding the lock next to your Z-Wave controller which is connected to the HomeSeer server, Then install the lock and optomize.
                  💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Thanks, Pete
                    You are working with a KwikSet Deadbolt? After removing plastic cover and the 2 mounting screws across from the program button the daughter board assembly with battery pack should be able to be detached from the cable coming from the exterior side of the door. Bring the Z-Wave Lock assembly to the computer running HomeSeer and the primary interface. Under Setup - Interfaces - Manage - Remove Devices - delete the Lock from HomeSeer after removing the Lock use the ADD Device under Z-Wave Management - check the log and make sure the security handshake completes then when it finishes adding you should have a Root Device and 3 Child devices

Comment

If it helps, these are the Z-wave entries in the startup log:

10/19/2011 7:43:34 PM - Z-Wave - :- :- :- :- :- :- :- :- Initializing Z-Wave Interface -: -: -: -: -: -: -: -:
                      10/19/2011 7:43:34 PM - Z-Wave - Initializing Z-Wave Interface on USB
                      10/19/2011 7:43:34 PM - Z-Wave - Getting node information from controller...
                      10/19/2011 7:43:35 PM - Z-Wave - Z-Wave interface1 version: 4
                      10/19/2011 7:43:35 PM - Z-Wave - Z-Wave interface node ID: 1, Home ID: 00E66BAF
                      10/19/2011 7:43:35 PM - Z-Wave - Found 18 Z-Wave nodes in interface node ID 1
                      10/19/2011 7:43:35 PM - Z-Wave - Controller firmware version: 2.76
                      10/19/2011 7:43:35 PM - Z-Wave - This Z-Wave PC Controller Library Version is: ZDK Version 4.27
                      10/19/2011 7:43:35 PM - Z-Wave - This Z-Wave PC Controller is Type: ZW_LIB_INSTALLER
                      Looks like a firmware update may be in order to get this Z-Wave controller capable of handling the security subsystem.

What controller are you using? Check the firmware downloads at homeseer.com/downloads and see if it's the latest version.
                      huggy_d1

Automating made easy

Comment

The Smart Stick (WDUSB-10). As far as I can tell there's no updates pending, either via HS or generally. Is that the problem, I need a newer z-Wave stick? It's fairly old now, but has never really been an issue.

Comment

The Smart Stick (WDUSB-10). As far as I can tell there's no updates pending, either via HS or generally. Is that the problem, I need a newer z-Wave stick? It's fairly old now, but has never really been an issue.
                          Do you receive an error in the HomeSeer.log when you try to enroll the lock?

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
                            Do you receive an error in the HomeSeer.log when you try to enroll the lock?
                            They posted this a few back:

huggy_d1

Automating made easy

Comment

Originally posted by huggy_d1 View Post
                              They posted this a few back:
                              Sorry I missed that. You called it correctly that this stick doesn't fully support the security class.

Comment

Working...
                              X