Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, it is a symptom of a bigger problem.

But that doesn't mean homeseer shouldn't be fault tolerant.

The last two times it was due to Plex locking up my host PC (homeseer is on a VM on that physical machine)

I'm having a very hard time figuring out why plex is locking this PC, but if I watch a show from a Roku and press fast forward the Plex PC locks up, thus killing homeseer.

The two times before that I believe it was a power outage.

Homeseer really needs to be more fault tolerant. I used to have uptimes of half a year with homeseer 2. I have yet to get even a month without something going very wrong with homeseer 3.

I used to pay for the extended support with them, but they never gave the squeaky wheel (me) the grease.

I used to love this hobby and be very involved in the forums, but at some point HST rubbed me the wrong way to the point where I don't want to play with them anymore... So my frustrations are mostly due to other problems with reliability and quality.

Sorry to vent. I love your plugin and I use it everyday when homeseer doesn't erase the .ini file or turn it off on me
    Joe (zimmer62)

BLSecurtiy, AC-RF2, RCS Serial Thermostats, RFXCOM SMarthome SwitchLinc, mcsXap, Global Cache GC100, SqueezeBox, TWA_ONKYOINTEGRA, BLLogMonitor, BLPlugins, BLRadar, BLSpeech, BLZLog.aspx, HSTouch (Windows, iPhone, iPod), USB Mimo touchscreens, VMWare Server, Vortexbox, Windows Home Server, MyMovies, Windows Media Center, X10, ZWave, and much much much more.

Comment

sorry for the troubles. the latest version of the plugin has event actions that you can use to create backups of the ini. There are config triggers as well that you can use to kick off the actions.
      Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
      Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
      Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
      Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Totally not your fault!

I appreciate your backup feature, and I've set up an even to do that now. This is something that you shouldn't have to do if homeseer were a more robust product.

Thanks again.
        Joe (zimmer62)

BLSecurtiy, AC-RF2, RCS Serial Thermostats, RFXCOM SMarthome SwitchLinc, mcsXap, Global Cache GC100, SqueezeBox, TWA_ONKYOINTEGRA, BLLogMonitor, BLPlugins, BLRadar, BLSpeech, BLZLog.aspx, HSTouch (Windows, iPhone, iPod), USB Mimo touchscreens, VMWare Server, Vortexbox, Windows Home Server, MyMovies, Windows Media Center, X10, ZWave, and much much much more.

Comment

Well, my place was hit with several repeated power fails/restores in the course of 24 hours. I wasn't there. I have several remote access options so I was able to test system health once power was reliably restored.

HS3 is on a server with Blue Iris. Blue Iris came thru the events fine as far as I can tell.

HomeSeer was working but all the insteon devices were gone. HSTouch was very confused and inoperable.

Did some searches and found this thread. I have a rule that when I change HS3 (or BI), I back them up to both a local storage and a memory stick I keep with me. I had been working on HS3 during the weekend so I had a local copy. After poking around and becoming convinced the devices were gone, I restored the HS3 database and the insteon.ini and all seems to be working at this point.

I have to tell you, when I first discovered this, my heart took a few extra beats. Thank goodness for backups and this thread.

Comment

Same issue

This just happened to me again today. As it's happened before I'm pretty sure I have a good backup less than a week old. Would appreciate some help on the steps to recover the devices? I don't want to copy and over write the wrong file and screw it up worse than it is. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by taiello6683 View Post
              This just happened to me again today. As it's happened before I'm pretty sure I have a good backup less than a week old. Would appreciate some help on the steps to recover the devices? I don't want to copy and over write the wrong file and screw it up worse than it is. Thanks.
              what plugin version were you running?

shutdown hs
              restore the insteon.ini and homeseer.hsd from the same backup
              restart
              Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
              Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
              Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
              Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Originally posted by mnsandler View Post
                what plugin version were you running?

Thanks for the quick response. I'm running 3.0.6.0

Comment

Originally posted by taiello6683 View Post
                  Thanks for the quick response. I'm running 3.0.6.0
                  would you mind trying the latest beta. I incorporated my own ini file management routines so users won't lose their ini file.
                  Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Originally posted by mnsandler View Post
                    would you mind trying the latest beta. I incorporated my own ini file management routines so users won't lose their ini file.
                    Will do!

Comment

please report back here any issues or problems you encounter regarding the ini
                      Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Hi!

I am running into a similar situation.

the insteon.ini gets erased (it shows 22KB) but it is blank inside). It gets erased everytime I do a reboot or disable a plugin.

I am running versions 3.0.0.357 (HS3) and 3.0.6.0 (Sandler Plugin). Will update to Beta plugin and report back.

Comment

Originally posted by joedr View Post
                          Hi!

I am running into a similar situation.

the insteon.ini gets erased (it shows 22KB) but it is blank inside). It gets erased everytime I do a reboot or disable a plugin.

I am running versions 3.0.0.357 (HS3) and 3.0.6.0 (Sandler Plugin). Will update to Beta plugin and report back.
                          yes, please restore a good insteon.ini and upgrade the plugin
                          Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

UPDATE: I rebooted one time and disabled/enabled plugin. It retained the insteon.ini content. Will test another 24-48 hrs and repost back.

It seems that the update worked.

Mr. Sandler..... if the updated beta plugin had an updated way to handle the config please make it to a released version. It seems to be working. Thanks in advance!

Comment

Working...
                            X