No announcement yet.

Radio Shack IP Cams for $25

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pete, thanks for your additional research. I don't quite understand what you are saying. Is the DDNS feature available in the US?

I can access the IP camera via webcamXP (along with my other analog cameras). Is there a reason to need direct access to the camera over the web?

Don't know if this has anything to do with these cameras, but since I installed them, I have seen 2 attempts by someone in China to hack into Homeseer.

Steve Q
    HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
    2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

Hi Pete,
      Sorry but I'm confused as well. I have two cameras pointing to outside, using DDNS and provider dyndns.org. I have one internal camera without port forwarding and DDNS. Each cameras have no correlation with this ip address or port number 78.109.216.253:8802. My ports are different than this but all 3 cameras show in the firewall. Below is the firewall currently blocking outbound traffic to that port.
      So you think it is an other DDNS that they use internally? Should I be concern about broadcasting any videos to the outside world?

May 16 12:51:49 2011 Outbound Traffic Blocked - Access control TCP 192.168.0.30:39083->78.109.216.253:8802 on eth1

Thanks,
      Aldo

Comment

Is the DDNS feature available in the US?
        Yes; the camera's is set up for using DDNS with the above mentioned DDNS providers.

The company might have provided an internal DDNS service on a subscriber configuration and what we are seeing is the leftover's in the FW relating to this.

But give it a try and see what happens when you open up port 8802 to one camera.

I'm guessing you won't see anything. The company still owns the IP though.
        Attached Files
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
        HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
        HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

BTW - I did a quickie test yesterday. I configured my laptop with the IP (78.109.216.253) in question. I removed the gateway setting on the camera leaving it set up with the private address. I was able to get to the camera with the standard port 80 HTML link via my laptop. I then tried to see what would happen or if I could get some sort of communications on the 8802 port. I could not.
          - Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Hi Pete,
            Your time and expertise has been very much appreciated, thanks for getting some light on this.

Aldo

Comment

No problem Aldo. I am currently just "playing" with the RS and Trendnet cams; not really in "production" cuz I keep moving them. My preference though is the wired versus wireless connection. The RS camera quality is much higher than the Trendnet video.

I'm a bit hesitant in that my Zoneminder utilization goes way up with the IP cameras versus the analogue cameras connected to the 8 port analogue capture card.
              - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

I have to tell you, I'm very impress by the Vitamin D application. It takes lot of CPU but I like that I do not receive too many false alarms when it captures people. Unfortunately I heard that they are not doing more development on it, too bad it is a great application. I also have both cameras, the RS and the TN, I agree with you I like the RS better. I'm trying to find a good location to permanently place them, right now they are sitting on the window base but of course they get moved all the times.

Aldo

Comment

Yes; same here testing the two on two window bases facing out with screens on the outside; not the best view. They sell an outdoor "shell" for the TN but its kind of expensive (more than the camera) at $79 on sale.
                  - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

My only issue with the RS cam is no IR/low light on it. But it DOES give a good picture. If there were a way to add low light to it that would be awesome!

Comment

You could do external IR illumination with it.
                      - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

My local Radio Shack had 2 wired for $25/ea and 1 Wireless for $79. I didnt realize you guys were talking about the wired cams - I think I'll go back and pick them up!
                        HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
                        54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
                        Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Pete, any links on IR illumination you have used with cams before? Going to do some internet searching and such on it, but just thought I would see if you have done this before, mainly because you have done everything...:-)

Comment

I actually disabled the IR illumination on two outdoor cameras. I use outdoor motion sensors which turn on all exterior lighting; then the cameras see very well outside.

I've never tried one of the outdoor illumination IR lighting; but if you do a quick search on Ebay you will find many illuminators very cheap.
                            - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

I picked up the last 2 in Brandon, MS. I tried to get the manager to sell me his last 2 wifi cams at the same price (instead of $79/ea) - wouldnt do it, so I just came out with the wired IP cams.

Now to pick Pete's brain via this thread - I have a lot of reading to do!

Thanks!

Comment

Well, that was painless. Just flashed both with no problems...

I started looking into Vitamin D to run my 2 Foscams and now my 2 Schlage cams. I saw where they are not pursuing any major features, but continue to support Vitamin D. I'm nervous about dropping $200 if they decide to close shop.

What other packages should I be looking at? ZoneMinder looks good, but I would need to repurpose an old server and install linux.

Comment

Working...
                                X