No announcement yet.

Radio Shack IP Cams for $25

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Next thing to figure out on these cameras... they have the ability not just to hear sound (microphone), but to hook a speaker up to them. Does that mean we have a network addressable sound source? Could I use Homeseer to send voice/music the IP of the Camera? have to look at that manual again.

Comment

Thanks, I got it working with WebCamXP. The motion detector seems to work very well.

Interesting question about the speaker. Let us know what you find out.

Steve Q
      HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
      2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

Originally posted by raptorsss View Post
        Next thing to figure out on these cameras... they have the ability not just to hear sound (microphone), but to hook a speaker up to them. Does that mean we have a network addressable sound source? Could I use Homeseer to send voice/music the IP of the Camera? have to look at that manual again.
        The NQ-9006 installation manual says "Audio Support. You can listen as well as look! Audio is encoded with the video if desired. You can use either the built-in microphone or an external microphone."

I suspect the "speaker Out" is mislabeled. It is probably a "mic In" jack.

Steve Q
        HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
        2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Q View Post
          The NQ-9006 installation manual says "Audio Support. You can listen as well as look! Audio is encoded with the video if desired. You can use either the built-in microphone or an external microphone."

I suspect the "speaker Out" is mislabeled. It is probably a "mic In" jack.

Steve Q
          The manual says if required an external speaker can be plugged in here.
          And the settings page has a place to specifically turn it on. And there is an area to give the audio port an ip address. It seems to use RTSP (real time streaming protocol). I am trying to research that now.

Comment

For those having issues with the updater discovering your devices... I found that you have the do the following:

1) Install the camera on the same network switch as the upgrading machine.
            2) You have the run the updater as THE administrator, not just as an administrator.

Comment

well, this is getting beyond me... but i know many of you are better at this than me. Looks like VLC can send RTSP streams...
              http://wiki.videolan.org/Documentati...ming_HowTo/VLM
              near the bottom. Settings seem to look similar to what the settings on the camera look like. I think this may actually be possible!

Comment

Bill,

Added the W7 info you mentioned to the update firmware piece section above.
                - Pete

Auto mator
                Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

What is the proper zm config for this camera? I can get all browsers to work, but on Ubuntu 9.10 with ZM 1.24.1 I can't get the status page to show other than red for this device nor the video stream.

I am a ZM nub, so I suspect there is something I missed in the setup/config along the way.

Thanks.

Comment

I didn't watch enough of this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9PyV...eature=related

At about 1:50 he goes into yet even more manual steps required to zm to function.

Comment

Went to my local Radio Shack hoping to score a $25 network camera, but they did not have any.

I did get a 3 way (master/slave) GE Zwave switch set for $15... compared to the $58 they go for I could not pass up on the deal even though I do not have an application at present.

The appliance modules (both indoor and outdoor) were $10.... I have three in a box that I have not found an application for yet, so I passed on those.

Comment

Originally posted by megatron2 View Post
                        Went to my local Radio Shack hoping to score a $25 network camera, but they did not have any.

I did get a 3 way (master/slave) GE Zwave switch set for $15... compared to the $58 they go for I could not pass up on the deal even though I do not have an application at present.

The appliance modules (both indoor and outdoor) were $10.... I have three in a box that I have not found an application for yet, so I passed on those.
                        I picked up some of the appliance modules. The outdoor are good for christmas lights. The indoor I am sure I will find a use for. Probably not household stuff since most things don't go on these days when power is applied and don't have mechanical switches. But they are good for rebooting network type devices remotely (routers, various HA devices, etc.). I use one now on my SageTV extender in case that locks up and one on my remote serial IP WiBox to do the same if it is not responding.

Comment

Originally posted by raptorsss View Post
                          The manual says if required an external speaker can be plugged in here.
                          And the settings page has a place to specifically turn it on. And there is an area to give the audio port an ip address. It seems to use RTSP (real time streaming protocol). I am trying to research that now.

GREAT find!!!

I anxiously await your reply and results!
                          Transitioning to HS3Pro .298 - WinXPEmbedded

Hometroller S3 Pro - WinXPEmbedded - HSP 2.5.0.81 - BLStat - HSPhone - HSTouch Srvr 1.0.0.73 - Touchpad - BLLan - BLOccupied - DSC Plug 2.0.0.14 - BLStat .38

Comment

The Zoneminder setup was straight forward. I'm getting about 14-15 FPS with the link.

I just tested ZM in Firefox running in a VNC XFCE session on my LAMP server using Ubuntu 10.10 and it works fine. Typically though even on XP / W7 I monitor ZM with FF versus IE.

Here is a snapshot of the setup for the IP camera link. I have security enabled but for whatever reason I don't have to put in the user name or password in the link?
                            Attached Files
                            - Pete

Auto mator
                            Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                            Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Maybe this is a dumb question, but how do I find out what IP address (Internal network IP) the camera is using? The first camera I hooked up was assigned the next higher number on my network- (X.X.X.107). But the second camera is not the next higher number? I have tried the next 5 numbers but I can't connect to the camera.

Is there some utility that will list all the IP numbers in use? My router does not show this information.

Steve Q

Comment

There are a few ways to see the IP. I typically go to my firewall (Smoothwall) and look at the DHCP logs. I have my DHCP scope set to only 10 IP's and just look at the last entry. I then set the IP'd device address statically and update my internal DNS list to keep track.

On a HW router / Firewall look at the status page; it'll typically show what IP's / MAC's are present on the subnet and some of the HW status pages also distinguish DHCP addresses from static IP addresses that come up on the network.

Here's a program that's free that shows all of the IP's on your subnet. Run it first before putting the camera on the subnet. Run it the second time and it'll show you the new IP. If you click on the IP it'll also show you running services and open ports. I use the program for a quick way to check to see what's up on the network. Using Homeseer's Ultramon; I do the same for all devices on the network.

Just checked - it used to be free. The version I have running is 2.5 (free); you might be able to find it on the internet.

http://www.lookatlan.com/oldindex.html

Here's another way which you can find you IP's using a command line prompt. Just type the following at a command line prompt. Adjust the subnet to the one you are utilizing (you can find out by typing "IPCONFIG". The TXT file "ipaddresses.txt" will contain all of the IP addresses on the network.

FOR /L %i IN (1,1,254) DO ping -n 1 192.168.0.%i | FIND /i "Reply">> c:\ipaddresses.txt
                                I also do not use the default provided subnets by the Firewall. My subnet mask is 255.255.255.128 that I have set to give me IP's from .129 to .254 which is still a lot. Typically for a small home network you can do just fine with a subnet mask of say 255.255.255.240 with IP's from .241 to 254. Typically I set the gateway address to the first IP say like .241 with the last example. Something this small you can set the DHCP scope to may 3 addresses like 252 to 254 easier to keep track of.
                                Last edited by Pete; March 5, 2011, 04:27 PM.
                                - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Working...
                                X