Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RS232 to Wifi

Hi all,

I'm looking for some cheap RS232 to WiFi adapters to convert a couple of BetaBrites from needing a wired RS232 connection to where I can control them without running wires to them. Initially I was thinking about the Global Cache WF2SL units, but I would prefer not to spend that much ($111 each). Something without a case would be fine as I'll build it into the BetaBrite case. Ideally it would be able to use the 7VDC from the BetaBrite power supply as well, although I could use a cheap DC-DC converter if needed. Looks to be a lot of options on places like AliExpress (such as http://www.aliexpress.com/item/WIFI-...286647017.html), but would prefer something that someone has experience with. Any ideas?

Thanks
    Al
    HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
    Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

There are loads of these things around it is as much to do with the firmware on the unit than anything else as to how easy it is, I've used one and it works but I do not have it appear as a COM port in windows and instead send TCP commands directly to a socket. As you are using it with a plugin then chances are you want it to appear as a serial port in windows and as such will need some additional software but need to make sure the device works with that software, with these chinese devices it can be a bit of luck as to whether you even get English instructions with them.

I am cautious recommending it but if your distance is less than 10 metres then you could look at some of the bluetooth serial modules that can be picked up for very little. They appear as a COM port and can be connected easy however they can be slightly fiddly to get playing nicely sometimes.

Comment

Thanks Adam, I may give the Bluetooth ones a try. Do you have any experience with specific ones?

Thanks
      Al

Comment

Al,

It may be a little more Macgyver-like than you are wanting to do, but I have one of the Quatech Ethernet-to-Serial adapters (like this). This device uses wired Ethernet, but I did use it for a while with a Linksys router flashed with Tomato, which lets you switch it from being a WiFi AP to a WiFi bridge (client). I was specifically doing this to control an LED sign I have two floors away from my HS machine.

I love the Quatech boxes. It appears like just a set of additional serial ports on the HS box, so it works with anything that uses serial ports.

Steve

Comment

Thanks Steve,

I have some of the Quatech boxes as well (the 4 port ones) and they have been rock solid. However, in this case, I want to fit it all in the BetaBrite case, so looking something that is small and want to avoid going from serial to ethernet and then ethernet to WiFi and would prefer serial directly to Wifi (or potentially BlueTooth).

Thanks
          Al

Comment

I understand. These cases from Bob must be different than the stock BetaBrite, as there was not room for anything else in the stock case.

Steve

Comment

I see some room in the far corners

Comment

Working...
              X