Microphone selection for voice control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Microphone selection for voice control

I have several AP800 microphone mixers that I bought intending to use them for whole-house voice control. I am researching microphone options and have come up with two that look good - the AKG/Crown PZM-10 and the MB3. I've seen a few old posts from folks who have use both of these. What are your experiences? Is one better for this application than the other? Are there other mics I'm not looking at that I should?

My home has a pretty open floorplan with high ceilings and I'm looking to cover most areas of the house. The PZM-10 would blend in better I think but I'd love to hear what others are using.

EDIT: I found MB3 mics for $50 with a 90 day warranty so the price is pretty compelling vs $160 for the PZM-10
    HS Pro 3.0 | Linux Ubuntu 16.04 x64 virtualized under Proxmox (KVM)
    Hardware: Z-NET - W800 Serial - Digi PortServer TS/8 and TS/16 serial to Ethernet - Insteon PLM - RFXCOM - X10 Wireless
    Plugins: HSTouch iOS and Android, RFXCOM, BlueIris, BLLock, BLDSC, BLRF, Insteon PLM (MNSandler), Device History, Ecobee, BLRing, Kodi, UltraWeatherWU3
    Second home: Zee S2 with Z-Wave, CT101 Z-Wave Thermostat, Aeotec Z-Wave microswitches, HSM200 occupancy sensor, Ecolink Z-Wave door sensors, STI Driveway Monitor interfaced to Zee S2 GPIO pins.

Since I got a lot of views and no responses I'm guessing neither of these mics are hugely popular. I ordered two of the MB3 mics and I'm going to see how they perform connected to the XAP800.

Broadening the topic a bit, can anyone share experiences installing fixed microphones for whole-house voice control? How did you determine microphone placement? Wall mount? Ceiling mount?
    HS Pro 3.0 | Linux Ubuntu 16.04 x64 virtualized under Proxmox (KVM)
    Hardware: Z-NET - W800 Serial - Digi PortServer TS/8 and TS/16 serial to Ethernet - Insteon PLM - RFXCOM - X10 Wireless
    Plugins: HSTouch iOS and Android, RFXCOM, BlueIris, BLLock, BLDSC, BLRF, Insteon PLM (MNSandler), Device History, Ecobee, BLRing, Kodi, UltraWeatherWU3
    Second home: Zee S2 with Z-Wave, CT101 Z-Wave Thermostat, Aeotec Z-Wave microswitches, HSM200 occupancy sensor, Ecolink Z-Wave door sensors, STI Driveway Monitor interfaced to Zee S2 GPIO pins.

Comment

Originally posted by reidfo View Post
      Since I got a lot of views and no responses I'm guessing neither of these mics are hugely popular. I ordered two of the MB3 mics and I'm going to see how they perform connected to the XAP800.

Broadening the topic a bit, can anyone share experiences installing fixed microphones for whole-house voice control? How did you determine microphone placement? Wall mount? Ceiling mount?
      Reidfo, When I was using the xap800 I used pzm11. They very sensitive Mics. As for placement of mic, all depends if your room has good caustic (no echo). I would normally place them at eye level for better reception. I gave up on the idea using xap800 because of the constant voice training to get it working. I found the Kinect a better solution for VR, and you don't need to trading it in order for it to recognize your voice.
      Hector
      MyTrigger,ACRF2,W800,Zwave
      AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

@reidfo:

I think the latest info about whole-house voice control utilizing AP800/XAP800 are in AshaiRei's ZMC v4 thread:

http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=176042

We talked about microphones too, which are better/more sensitive than the PZM series.
        HW: HS3 w/ Win8.1 on ASRock C2550d4i. Digi AnywhereUSB, Hubport, Edgeport, UZB, Z-trollers, PLCBUS, SONOS, GC-100, iTach IP2SL, WF2IR, IP2IR, RFXtrx433, Harmony Hubs, Hue, Ademco Vista 128BP, NetAtmo, NetAtmo Welcome

Google Search for HomeSeer Forum

Comment

Working...
        X