Pentair Easytouch interface

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CharlieWayne View Post
    This has been my thought for some time. I like the idea of HS handling water features and lighting while the pool controller keeps our pool from going green.

We haven't picked a pool controller yet because we want to integrate with HS. I've picked out a Pentair VS pump that I like but haven't bought it yet due to not having a controller.

So my question is with HS doing the more controlling, what Pentair controller would you suggest?
    Depends on how many things you need to control. If you have a basic system (one or two pumps, solar panels, heater, salt chlorinator) the SunTouch is perfect. It's compact, inexpensive, and reliable. The only thing it doesn't support is LOTS of relays for various water features and all of the super expensive "old school" remote control features... but with the plug-in that is being discussed here, you can control the SunTouch from HS3, so that's not a problem. You can obviously also do all of your lighting with HS3 and Z-Wave, so this frees up some relays.

I was about to buy an EasyTouch or IntelliTouch system because most of the automation stuff only supports EasyTouch and better... that is until Jason started working on this plug-in. I now plan to keep the SunTouch.

As of this weekend, I have HS3 doing much more sophisticated automation than I could ever do with even the most expensive dedicated pool controllers e.g.: "only run Polaris on Friday/Saturday/Sunday; only turn on system during the day if the weather forecast indicates it will be warm enough; don't turn the sweep on if there is recent motion near pool, etc.). I've also set the system up for a "summer mode" and "winter mode" where during the winter (coming soon) the filter will run at a much lower speed in the middle of the night when power is less expensive, whereas in the summer the filter will run during the day when the solar system can heat the pool. Everything above took me about 15 minutes to set up with HS3 events, and would have been impossible with any other system.

Chris

Comment

Trial Expiring

Jason -

The trial of the beta plug-in is expiring:

Do you have a new version, or a way to license the plug-in? I'm happy to pay for it .

Chris

Comment

Thanks Chris for pointing that out and Thanks to Jason we now have a interface with HS.
        HSPro: 3.0.0.194
        PL: Insteon PLM 3.0.5.20,Insteon Thermostat 3.0.1.1 , UltraM1G, RainRelay8, UltraECM3, UltraPioneerAVR3, BLBackup, weatherXML, Jon00 Network & PC Monitor
        HW : Win 7 64bit, Intel i7-2600, 16 GB DDR3 Ram, 60 Plus Insteon Dual Band Devices, Rain8 Pro2, Elk M1 Gold, Brueltech GreenEye.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisckemp View Post
          Jason -

The trial of the beta plug-in is expiring:

Do you have a new version, or a way to license the plug-in? I'm happy to pay for it .

Chris
          I submitted it to HS. Hopefully they will have it in the store soon.

Jason

Comment

Jason, where are we on temperature setpoints?

Comment

Originally posted by jetkit View Post
              Jason, where are we on temperature setpoints?
              Still trying to figure it out. The protocol doesn't make sense for the temps. I have it working sometimes but not always. I need to buy pentair touch pad but I don't want to spend $300.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Comment

What model of touch pad would work best for your research?

Comment

Originally posted by jrhubott View Post
                  Still trying to figure it out. The protocol doesn't make sense for the temps. I have it working sometimes but not always. I need to buy pentair touch pad but I don't want to spend $300.

I'm happy to provide remote hands or remote access to my system, or raw serial data if helpful.

I believe that one of the strings that is in my serial stream that your driver has not accounted for is related to the Intellichlor broadcasting the salt and chlorine levels, and perhaps status.

It is a pain reverse engineering a proprietary protocol, but the silver lining is that with millions of systems out there that will never get firmware upgrades they will never be able to change the protocol... so once you figure it out, you've figured it out .

Comment

Hi Jason,

What are your plans for this?

Comment

Originally posted by chrisckemp View Post
                      It is a pain reverse engineering a proprietary protocol, but the silver lining is that with millions of systems out there that will never get firmware upgrades they will never be able to change the protocol... so once you figure it out, you've figured it out .
                      I have an older Pentair CP3600 pool controller. I wrote my own PI (firs HS2 than HS3) and found the protocol syntax available on-line. Rather than reverse engineer, isn't the protocol available like in this document (http://www.pentairpool.com/pdfs/i-LinkUG.pdf)?

Thinking of upgrading my pool equipment and not planning on writing my own PI so if this PI does it all, it will be an easy choice.

Cheers,

Dirk

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by jetkit View Post
                          That is for the IntelliTouch™ i-Link Protocol Interface Adapter.
                          You will need to get the i-Link interface to use it.
                          Correct. The i-Link is a "protocol converter" that converts the native RS-485 interface to a "friendlier" RS-232 interface. The upside is that you have a nice documented interface that's easier to interact with on a serial terminal. The downside is that Pentair charges over $500 for this little gadget.

That's twice what I paid for my entire pool control system (A used SunTouch controller, an RS-485 interface, and this plug-in). My system is smarter, easier to control, and uses much less energy than Pentair's flagship IntelliTouch system with remote interfaces, etc. (easily upwards of $5,000; an *order of magnitude* more). On top of that, my pool uses much less electricity (it runs at night at lower GPM when power is less expensive if the weather forecast high temerature for that day would make running during the day to capture solar not energy-effective, etc.). I'll easily save $500 per year on electricity as a result of "smart" automation of my pool system.

Using HomeSeer to manage your pool with this plug-in is a game changer.

The i-Link is unnecessary and undesirable if (as this plug-in does) you can reverse-engineer the native RS-485 interface.

Chris

Comment

Fully agree Chris.
                            The pool industry is too comfortable overpricing the value they provide.

Jason,
                            Were are we on this plugin?

Comment

It's done at working. Waiting on HS to put it in the updater.

Comment

Originally posted by jrhubott View Post
                                It's done at working. Waiting on HS to put it in the updater.

Jason -

It's been three weeks since the last update, and your plugin has expired for the second time. Would it be helpful if we were to call HomeSeer tech support to put some pressure on them to approve your plug in?

Chris

Comment

Working...
                                X