Weather Display on a HomeTroller S4?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weather Display on a HomeTroller S4?

I'm looking for a way to get my Davis VP2 data into Homeseer. The Weather Display option looks good, but since my HS is running on the HT I question if the HT hardware is up to the task of running both programs simultaneously without degrading the HS performance. Can anyone comment on if they are using WD on a HomeTroller and if so, how does it work?

I run Weather Display on a separate PC but the CPU usage is nearly nothing so it may be worth a shot.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I have a separate PC nearby (X510 MediaSmart Server). I was reluctant to run HS on it because servers do crash from time to time and the HomeTroller offered a much more stable 'always on' platform. Running WD on the MSS doesn't bother me near as much since a minimum of my event programming will be dependent upon weather data. How easy is it to tie the WD data from the 'other PC' into HS?

Comment

It's very easy as there are a set of scripts that come with Weather Display to update HomeSeer devices or at least there was the last time I updated. I haven't updated my version of WD in 3 years and that server hasn't been restarted in over a year.
        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Davis WeatherLink on HomeTroller 3

If you're not committed to Weather Display, you might want to consider Davis's WeatherLink. I run WeatherLink on my HomeTroller 3 with no problems. If I recall correctly, when I did the initial install on the HT3, I had to upgrade the version of .NET that came preinstalled, but I haven't had any issues once it was installed. It's pretty easy to get the data from WeatherLink into HomeSeer using the script discussed at http://board.homeseer.com/showthread...ht=WeatherLink.

-Chris

Comment

Give Cumulus a go works very well. currently using it with a Vantage pro 2.
            Had cumulus running on a Hometroller series 1 when i had a WH1080 station.
            There is a Cumulus plugin is here and there is a script on jon00's website.

Comment

Thanks all for the replies. Actually I'm not tied to anything from a software standpoint. I currently use Davis WeatherLink and in my life before HomeSeer, it served my needs fine. I currently use it upload data to Weather Underground (CWOP) and WeatherBug, plus I use the Davis weatherlink.com service. So the data from my station is plenty visible to folks outside of my home. While I do like some of the functionality of Weather Display, after watching it run for a day I wonder if it may be more than I want to bite off on right now. I like to tinker and there is no way I can take ignore a capable piece of software like that!

I didn't realize that folks had cracked the code for using the Davis WeatherLink software. I've already loaded that on my Hometroller and it runs fine (version 6.02 no less). 8 years worth of data currently occupies 20 MB on my main machine, which won't kill the Hometroller Flash Drive. So, I'm going to give that a look first.

I haven't taken a look at Cumulus, but it looks worthy of a journey to check it out.

Edit: Just got things set up to run using Weatherlink. It took 30 minutes or so and so far looks good. My current setup is to update each minute, which might be overdoing it some. I'm thinking I'll update every 3-5 minutes. If I want it more often than that, then I can stare at the VP2 Console!
              Last edited by Techvet; December 2, 2012, 07:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X