Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multi Zone audio system

Hi everyone.

I'm currently having a new home being built and I've decided to run HS3 Pro on my Windows server to run my lighting, irrigation, security and HVAC control. Right now, everything is fragmented and I want to bring everything under one system.

I'm having a problem planning out my home AV system because there are so many options and different ways to go and I'm wondering if someone might be able to point me in the right direction.

My home will have 5 zones. Each zone will have audio and HDMI run from a single server closet in my garage.
    1. living room (7.1 surround)
    2. Master bedroom (5.1 Surround)
    3. Bedroom 1 (L&R channels only)
    4. Bedroom 2 (L&R channels only)
    5. Kitchen (L&R channels only)

I will never need to play the same thing in two zones, so I think this means that I'll need a separate AVR for each zone, which I'm okay with. All of our media is viewed from cloud services or from my Windows server, so I was planning to use a chromecast in each zone to serve all media. I want all of my speakers to be wired. Lastly, I'd like to control the AVRs via HS3(If HS3 could handle on/off, input select & volume, I'd be happy).

So, my uneducated plan is to have a 7.1, 5.1 and 3 stereo AVRs in my server closet all with dedicated chromecasts on an input. Each zone will have an HDMI line (no runs >50 ft.) and speaker wiring out to the zone.

My question is, what are good 7.1, 5.1 and stereo surround AVRs that work well with HS3? I see from the documentation which brands are supported, but can anyone recommend certain models? I will not be needing 4K, only 1080 over HDMI and at least 2 HDMI inputs each. Thanks!
    Last edited by VickVinegar; October 16, 2015, 09:18 PM. Reason: clarification

Welcome to Homeseer Vick.

Here went two using two Russound CAA66's controlled by my OmniPro2 / Homeseer for 12 zones.

I also went to 4 subzones for 5.1/7.1 audio with separate AVR boxes and a simple AB in wall switch to use the front two speakers.

I put a higher priority on the audio/video rather than the automation of the audio/video here.

IE: put in the AV here before the automation many years ago and on a new home build connected the AV before automating.

I have never used Homeseer here to automate any of the audio / video / IR. (do have IR blasters around and have connected some stuff with HDMI).

Today too have gone to using KODI Ubuntu boxes as STB's which stream live HD locally to any TV. The KODI boxes can be remote controlled by Homeseer.

Some LCD TV's then have local AVRs, KODI box (also MythTV and DirectTV going), broadcast HD and in house broadcast channels if that makes any sense? (everything is streamed and I have removed or shut off blue ray / dvd players in the house). Stereo sound is zoned via Russound and 5.1/7.1 adds are via AVRs (not remote controlled by Homeseer). I do not really save anything anymore (movie wise) but do have a video NAS and music NAS configured today. I do prefer to play my own music rather than streaming it from the internet (even though I do use streaming internet music sometimes).

Randy (Ultra) has plugins available for the Pioneer AVRs and Spud has a KODI plugin. I think too now you can control your LCD TV stuff via KODI talking HDMI to the TV. There is also a HS3 squeezebox player plugin which works well. I am not sure if there is an Homeseer HDMI matrix switcher plugin. Many folks are mixing stuff using the Sonos box for their audio media and a zoned audio system. (MonoPrice has a sort of replicate of the zoned Russound system). Personally here never really picked my AV based on it being remote ontrolled or automated; but that is me.
    Last edited by Pete; October 17, 2015, 06:40 AM.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

things to keep in mind.

99.9% of all music is in stereo, so playing it in surround sound only makes it sound weird.

Bass will travel through walls and is non directional (that's why sub woofers are mono)

You will want your to use your whole house audio system for homeseer announcements.

If the system you pick has keypads and you are in a position to wire them, do it. Having local control in addition to homeseer control is a nice option.

With that being said I use a monoprice 6 zone amp, it comes with keypads that glow blue just like my jasco light switches so they look good together. With all zones on and feeding my home theater receiver with a line level signal from the monoprice amp the sub woofer covers the whole house. (2200 square feet) and everything is in perfect sync including pausing the music to make announcements. Optionally I can play something different in each zone and still automatically switch to a common zone to make an announcement and back again to the previous state.
      https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/de...plifier-plugin

Comment

Working...
      X