This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Xapmcs1wire on a WindowsXP virtual machine

My HomeSeer HS2 computer is about to fail. I have purchased a refurbished Dell windows 7 Pro, 64 bit laptop which I would like to use to run both HS2 and HS3. I have installed windows XP as a virtual machine on the laptop and I have HS2 successfully running in that environment. So far, I have not been able to get xapmcs1wire.exe to work. The xapmcshub is working and xapmcs1wire.exe is running but it will not recognize the DS9490 adapter. The Dallas 1wire viewer does recognize and communicate with the DS9490, so I know the hardware and drivers are working.

Have you or do you know if anyone else is running your xap programs on a virtual XP setup?

Steve Q

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Steve Q; December 12, 2014, 11:42 AM.
    HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
    2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

I have it running on both x64 an x86 W7 and XP. Did you check that you have the dependencies listed in the xAP Library satisfied? The latest 1-wire drivers for x64 can be installed. There is only one version of the other two.

.NET version dependencies:
    The .NET framework 2.0 http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=19
    The .NET J# 2.0 redistributable http://www.microsoft.com/download/en...ang=en&id=4712
    The 1-wire drivers http://www.maxim-ic.com/products/ibu...ad_drivers.cfm

Comment

Thanks Michael. There are 1-wire drivers on the Maxim site for both x64 and x86. I had already installed the 32 bit drivers so I installed the 64 bit drivers. When I ran the Maxim 1-wire viewer utility it told me to installed the 64bit Java version, which I did. Now the Maxim 1-wire viewer utility(64 bit version) runs fine. So it looks like I have the 64 bit environment properly configured. When I run xapmcs1wire ver 3.0.6.4 in Windows 7, it seems to load and start running (the tray icon changes from green to red at 15 second intervals), but the configure web page (localhost:8014) is inaccessible. I tried multiple iterations using the IP address but am not able to access the web page.

I decided to try running xapmcs1wire.exe on my 64bit Windows 7 Desktop. I don't use this machine for anything related to Homeseer.
      I loaded the 64bit Maxim 1-wire drivers. DotNet and Java were already on the desktop computer. I loaded xapmcs1Wire ver 3.0.6.4 on the desktop. It started without problems and I quickly discovered the 6 1-wire devices on my test DS9490 adapter. No problem viewing the :8014 web page. I have no idea why I can't get it working on the laptop!

But I can't get xapmcshub to run on either machine. Both machines complain about missing mswinsck.ocx. Which version of the hub do I need?

Steve Q
      HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
      2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

You need java for the OneWireViewer, but do not need it for xapmcs1wire. xapmcs1wire uses the J+ redistributable. Did you install it? It was one of the three dependencies. Pull the mswinsck.ocx from one of your 32 bit machines that was running xap before. It may need to be registered with regsvr32.

Comment

Thanks, I now have HS2, xapmcs1wire, mcshub, and mcsdatabase running within WindowsXP Virtual Machine environment on the Win7 64bit laptop computer. It started working when I reinstalled the J# redistributable.

I am still not able to get xapmcs1wire working properly on Windows7 64bit on the laptop. I know its possible because it runs on my Win7 64bit Dell desktop computer and everything works properly. On the laptop, there seems to be something missing that is preventing the web browser from showing the config page. On the laptop, xapmcs1wire.exe will load and actually run. It is putting data on the network; I see it via xfx viewer.

I get an error message When I run regsvr32 "C:\Program Files (x86)\Homeseer HS3\mswinsck.ocx"

It was 2 years ago when I configured my desktop Win7 64bit system. I can't find my notes on what I did. Any ideas on how I can track down the difference between the desktop and the laptop computer. FWIW, the desktop is running Windows 7 Home Premimum; the laptop is running Windows 7 Professional.

Steve Q
          Attached Files

Comment

I got it! On the properties page for xapmcs1wire.exe, I checked the "run in XP SP3 compatibility mode" box. Now the status web page for xapmcs1wire comes up on Windows 7-64bit. YEA!

Steve Q

Comment

Michael, I have fully transitioned my HomeSeer setup to a Dell Laptop computer. Everything HS2 related is running in Windows Virtual XP Machine. Everything HS3 is running in Windows 7- 64 bit.

Configuration of all the peripheral HS2 devices was quite a challenge, but I now have 10 USB devices connected to the laptop and they are all fully functional. I still don't understand whether 32 or 64 bit drivers are being used, but it works! The Virtual XP environment seems to be quite stable and all of my scripts are working well. I am learning a lot!

I believe the faster/more powerful processor in the laptop has greatly improved the performance of HS2. Everything happens more quickly. Also, the gigabit LAN connection made a noticeable improvement in my mcsxAP performance.

I am slowly building my HS3 environment on the laptop. I have my z-wave and xAP stuff up and running. I am slowly discovering more and more of the networking capabilities of mcsxAP and I am now able to mirror 1-wire device status between HS2 and HS3.

One very interesting thing I have learned is that I can run mcsxap1wire on any network computer. It does not need to be on the HS2 or HS3 machine. Although obvious to you, it was not at all apparent to me. I now have mcsxap1wire.exe with 20 1-wire devices running on my XP netbook computer. This seems to be working very well. The same xAP setup that would only run for 3 days on my previous HS2 computer, has been running nonstop on the netbook.

Thanks for all your help in 2014 and previous years. I'm sure I will need more in 2015!

I don't know what the future holds, but it seems like there could be renewed interest in xAP as a component of the "internet of things". You have the foundation already built!

Steve Q

Comment

Glad to see it is working out for you and that your understanding was improved with the experience.

For me, xAP provides a an easy to use environment for distributed computing development. More and more devices are entering the distributed computing environment. The learning and challenges are not so much which communication protocol is used, but how systems can be designed with various distributed items.

Comment

Working...
                X