This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HS2 under Windows 10

I have searched, but not found an answer, will HS2 work under Windows 10?
    sigpic
    A founder member of "The HA Pioneer Group" otherwise known as the "Old farts club!"

Originally posted by Gogs View Post
    I have searched, but not found an answer, will HS2 work under Windows 10?
    Absolutely! I have had HS2 Pro running quite well for a couple of months with Windows 10 Professional. I have a separate box running HS3 Pro on the same OS, as I migrate from HS2 to HS3.

Happy New Year!

Elliott
    "Living with technology means living in a [constant] state of flux." S. Higgenbotham, 2023
    "Reboot and rejoice!" F. Pishotta, 1989

Comment

Originally posted by Richel View Post
      Absolutely! I have had HS2 Pro running quite well for a couple of months with Windows 10 Professional. I have a separate box running HS3 Pro on the same OS, as I migrate from HS2 to HS3.

Happy New Year!

Elliott
      Great news.

Now did you just let MS update the PC to W10 and all worked like magic?
      sigpic
      A founder member of "The HA Pioneer Group" otherwise known as the "Old farts club!"

Comment

Personally here have one new PC which I updated from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 and it runs all of the Homeseer 3 stuff automagically just fine.

2nd PC been playing with started from scratch with most current Windows 10 Pro Enterprise build version 11082.

This version has dinged my liking of using Windows 10 for Homeseer 2 or 3 as it truely is much like a tablet which needs to remain on and connected to the cloud such that you are sharing the PC now and it is not a single functional server. I initially thinned out much of it removing most if not all of the metro apps and utilized my original hardware drivers. The first update reinstalled all of the cloud updates and redid my hardware drivers making it very difficult to adjust manually. (both Gb NIC and Wireless NIC). IE: I use a custom mac, static IP and DNS name for my HS stuff for monitoring with Jon's remote monitoring script. Windows automatically created a virtual second network interface that just won't go away. It seems now to be paired up to the MS mothership statically and not adjustable which truly annoys me.

IE: use the as a desktop / tablet; it does work great. It does do peering unless you shut it off. It has been updated for metered connections but before this is was a me first (Windows 10) throttling of the internet pipe before the user.

I wouldn't use it as a Homeseer 2/3 server box.

It is not like there is a keyboard logger, it just knows what you do with it, always doing/checking the geo stuff, web, tweet, facebook, skype, using Skydrive, checking the weather where you are at very much like an any OS smartphone or tablet (which is good I guess for a smartphone and tablet but not really wanting this for a server).

That is me.
        Last edited by Pete; January 1, 2016, 03:23 PM.
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
        HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
        HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Gogs View Post
          Great news.

Now did you just let MS update the PC to W10 and all worked like magic?
          I purchased 2 used Tangent mini-PC's on eBay. Each came with Windows 7 Professional. The specs otherwise were almost identical, except for less RAM in one. I upgraded to Windows 10 Professional flawlessly on one box and had a heck of a time with the upgrade on the second box. It took multiple tries, before finally I got Windows 10 installed. Both systems are working well, although another quirk: Chrome browser was not working properly on one, but not the other. I had to uninstall Chrome on the one.

Elliott
          "Living with technology means living in a [constant] state of flux." S. Higgenbotham, 2023
          "Reboot and rejoice!" F. Pishotta, 1989

Comment

Pete, interesting statement, I think it's going back to the old statement which I will mention later.

Elliott, interesting comments regarding your upgrade, especially Chrome.

As you will know Google Chrome is recognised as spyware, this BBS is an example, it uses your cookies.

Now all the comments in this thread and others make me wonder if I should replace a perfectly good operating system or just re-install it.
            sigpic

Comment

Here have always utilize Firefox in Wintel and Linux. That said I am using parts and pieces of Chrome on my latest KODI builds.

Relating to old OS's.

Here utilizing old Wintel VB's to run my Microsoft SAPI on the HS3 box running Ubuntu 14.04 64 bit. Works great and I never look at it these days. I do not utilize it as a desktop or do any surfing on it and it is a single text to speech purpose build. The VM is set up with 2Gb of RAM and sits on a 10 Gb VB portable partition and best of all it sounds good to me playing back my old Neospeech voice fonts.

Not knocking Windows 10 here as I think it's a great desktop OS. It's just not the OS I want to use as a server for Homeseer 3. (such that this is more my opinion than anything else). It works great right now for my Homeseer 3 multitouch screen and the Kinect (Kinect is kind of big) and speaker dot exe.
              - Pete

Auto mator
              Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
              Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Windows 10

I have tried to get Windows 10 to automatically start HS when booting up. No luck so far. The computer that works is using Windows 7 and is running HS2 Pro. I have installed and uninstalled Windows 10 and HS 2 Pro and HS 3 Pro and no combination seems to work. What am I missing because if I can't get Homeseer to startup unattended then I can't use it. I have went back to the original Windows 7 and HS 2 Pro.

Comment

I am still testing and using the updated W8.1 to W10 Windows machine. I just shut down my testing of the W10 newest Pro Redmond edition a couple of days back.

I started to utilize some manual scripts / programs that I wanted to start running before Homeseer stuff. So I went to using R2 Start Up delayer. Works great with W10. You can adjust easy script / application and the way it starts up. I do a checks and balances thing with the network / time stuff when starting up the PC; liking my manual stuff over the automatic stuff.

I would recommend that you run HS2 and HS3 on separate machines with separate hardware or VMs (if you are doing them both at once).

It is at dub dub dub r2 dot com dot au (Australian company).

I started to tinker with W10 taking apart and removing pieces in an effort to thin it out. I got it going and it worked well except for the last boot that went to repairing itself then trashing the build such that I decided not to play with it any more.

Here too playing with embedded W7. Original build was 4Gb and I have gone over that now so looked to upgrade the DOM to 16/32 GB; but trying to keep it very simple. I do have less issues now running in Linux and using Wine to run some windows things and it does work but it makes for a fat OS (but no BSOD's and very stable once you get it going). It is the same with using Mono on Linux.
                  - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

I am using the same Startup Delayer that Pete mentions below and Randy describes in detail in this thread.

I also have my PC auto-login on boot and then lock with a password required to unlock. It's working very well.
                    cheeryfool

Comment

Originally posted by lroose View Post
                      I have tried to get Windows 10 to automatically start HS when booting up. No luck so far. The computer that works is using Windows 7 and is running HS2 Pro. I have installed and uninstalled Windows 10 and HS 2 Pro and HS 3 Pro and no combination seems to work. What am I missing because if I can't get Homeseer to startup unattended then I can't use it. I have went back to the original Windows 7 and HS 2 Pro.
                      Were you ever able to solve this problem? I can't figure out how to have HS2 auto start up on Windows 10. The UAC keeps getting in the way.

Comment

Working...
                      X