Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A way to interface weather radio alerts to HomeSeer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am looking forward to reading how this turns out for you. I have one of the AIW SAME boards, but the project is pretty far down my to-do list.

http://www.aiwindustries.com/products.html

Comment

Sorry for the delay, been dealing with illness. I'll try and post some raw transmission data from my plugin. I had a few that I used for testing. I built a test feature into the script that allows it to simulate the reception of an event. What we should do is coordinate efforts I think. All the work in my code was the parsing of SAME data into alerts and other useful data. If you can get your Arduino project to translate the output to match the format of my raw SAME data input, then we can reuse the code in the plugin we are working on. Otherwise my code won't be of much use to the Arduino project. I let homeseer handle all the parsing of the transmissions as opposed to doing it inside the radio (as shown on the demo video of the site you linked). One will still have to write script to parse the output of the Arduino; however, it will be locked to that project. The advantage of doing it the other way (raw data) is the plugin can become hardware agnostic.

Here is one:

ZCZC-WXR-RWT-013057-013063-013067-013089-013097-013113-013117-013121-013135-013151-013217-013247-013297+0030-1611200-KFFC/NWS-
      ZCZC-WXR-RWT-013057-013063-013067-013089-013097-013113-013117-013121-013135-013151-013217-013247-013297+0030-1611200-KFFC/NWS-
      NNNN
      NNNN
      NNNN
      Last edited by cheaha; June 17, 2015, 01:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cheaha View Post
        Sorry for the delay, been dealing with illness. I'll try and post some raw transmission data from my plugin. I had a few that I used for testing. What we should do is coordinate efforts I think. All the work in my code was the parsing of SAME data into alerts and other useful data. If you can get your Arduino project to translate the output to match the format of my raw SAME data input, then we can reuse the code in the plugin we are working on. I'm collaborating with other board members trying to get the HS3 plugin going. Then we would have two hardware platforms that work.
        No worries. Agreed on the coordination. I'm sure I can get the Arduino to output whatever is needed and having one plugin that works with multiple devices would be great. The Si4707 radio can also provide info on signal strength (RSSI) and SNR which would be useful to know that it's still working properly.

Cheers
        Al
        HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
        Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Looking at the Arduino code, it looks quite simple to make it output the raw data. The MTS Ear radio also reports back RSSI and SNR. It also supports monitoring a primary channel for signal failure w/ auto fallback to an alternate channel should the signal be interrupted. What we can do is make the Arduino project menu and command structure match the EAR and then the 'extra' functions will be available on both.

Comment

Originally posted by cheaha View Post
            Looking at the Arduino code, it looks quite simple to make it output the raw data. The MTS Ear radio also reports back RSSI and SNR. It also supports monitoring a primary channel for signal failure w/ auto fallback to an alternate channel should the signal be interrupted. What we can do is make the Arduino project menu and command structure match the EAR and then the 'extra' functions will be available on both.
            That would be great. Is there good info available on the EAR, or did you have to reverse engineer most of it?

Cheers
            Al

Comment

Work has begun on porting my older HS2 script to a HS3 plugin. Stay tuned.

@Sparkman...I've PM'd you my contact information.

Comment

For anyone interested, you can now buy the Sparfkun Si4707 weather radio breakout board on Amazon with free Prime Shipping:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A1LHQ5G6ONPXVT

It seems to be perpetually out of stock on Sparkfun's website with no backorders allowed, so it may be on a path to being discontinued.

Comment

So if one is doing this project one would need the Sparkfun Si4707 board and Sparkfun Reboard Programmed with Arduino or could a regular Arduino Uno board be used?
                  Is there any other hardware needed? TIA

Originally posted by NeverDie View Post
                  For anyone interested, you can now buy the Sparfkun Si4707 weather radio breakout board on Amazon with free Prime Shipping:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A1LHQ5G6ONPXVT

It seems to be perpetually out of stock on Sparkfun's website with no backorders allowed, so it may be on a path to being discontinued.
                  Tom
                  baby steps...starting again with HS3
                  HS3Pro: Z-NET & 80 Z wave Devices,
                  HSTouch: 4 Joggler (Android Kitkat), 2 iPhone, 3 iPads
                  Whole House Audio: 5 SqueezePlay Jogglers w Bose Speakers
                  In The Works: 10 Cameras Geovision, new Adecmo/Envisalink Alarm, Arduinos
                  System: XP on Fanless Mini-ITX w/ SSD

Comment

Originally posted by TomTom View Post
                    So if one is doing this project one would need the Sparkfun Si4707 board and Sparkfun Reboard Programmed with Arduino or could a regular Arduino Uno board be used?
                    Hi Tom,

Any Arduino will do (Uno, Mega, Pro Mini, Nano, etc.) and the only other thing you would need is some earbuds/headphones and some jumper wires.

Cheers
                    Al

Comment

According ot the hookup guide, any arduino will do. I don't know whether or not it come with header pins, but I'm guessing you'd want to attach some.

I ordered mine this morning, so I'm no further ahead than you.

Does Snevl provide you with the written text of the weather alert? I'd like to get the text when alerted because I can read faster than listening to their text-to-speech robot read the text.

When it comes to Tornado's, a possible 6 minute delay is significant.

Comment

Here's the official word from SparkFun:

So it looks like those interested will need to go with one of these: http://www.aiwindustries.com/products.html. I'm not sure if it works exactly the same, so I may have to order one of them as well to try (and have as a backup).

Cheers
                        Al

Comment

Thanks Al,

Gonna order one from NeverDie's link before they run out too.
                          Thanks NeverDie!
                          Tom

Comment

Originally posted by sparkman View Post
                            Just a quick update. I received the module yesterday and hooked it up last night to an Arduino (tried it with an Uno and a Pro Mini). I tried a few different sketches that are floating around and am currently running it with this one: https://github.com/tomn46037/Si4707.
                            Cheers
                            Al
                            Is it still the best script, or have you found something better?

Got mine today, but haven't hooked it up yet. With a good script, this should be cake.

Comment

I'll probably connect mine with an Uno, simply because these days you can buy a full fledged Uno clone board, delivered to your door from China, all for less than $4. Prices sure have fallen!

Comment

Originally posted by NeverDie View Post
                                I'll probably connect mine with an Uno, simply because these days you can buy a full fledged Uno clone board, delivered to your door from China, all for less than $4. Prices sure have fallen!
                                I'm waiting on Si4707 boards too. Thanks again for that link. Have you had any problems the Uno clones? Is there a buyer you recommend for getting this from? There are so many clones and not sure if all are equal.
                                Tom

Comment

Working...
                                X