Few questions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rjh View Post
    Not sure how many users are using a secondary, but I know some are. I have done a bit of testing with it and it works well.
    What's the proper procedure to add a second Z-NET? It isn't mentioned in the Z-NET guide, and I couldn't find a definitive procedure from old posts.

Also, what sort of maintenance is involved longer term? For example, if a node is included or excluded, do the two Z-NETs synch automatically, or do we have to do anything manually?

Is it possible to remove a secondary controller in the future without rebuilding the network?

Thanks.

Comment

There is a entire section in the Z-Wave help file from within the plugin. See "Multiple Z-Wave Interfaces" section, then "Adding to an Existing Network".

Use the z-wave controller function "Make this interface an Inclusion Controller (Secondary)", from the second interface.

You can then added devices using either interface and HS will automatically keep them in sync.

Originally posted by randman View Post
      What's the proper procedure to add a second Z-NET? It isn't mentioned in the Z-NET guide, and I couldn't find a definitive procedure from old posts.

Also, what sort of maintenance is involved longer term? For example, if a node is included or excluded, do the two Z-NETs synch automatically, or do we have to do anything manually?

Is it possible to remove a secondary controller in the future without rebuilding the network?

Thanks.
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I am having trouble adding a second Z-NET to my existing Z-NET. I am using Z-Wave plug-in version 3.0.1.20 and HS3 version 3.0.0.187.

I was following the instructions in the Z-Wave Help File.
        Here's what I did:

- Selected "Add Interface"
        - I added my 2nd Z-NET and called it "Z-NET-Sec". I selected "HomeSeer Z-NET Ethernet" for the interface model.
        - I clicked on the yellow icon to enable it.

The log looked okay:

Jun-26 11:48:46 PM Z-Wave Z-NET-Sec: ............................................................ ..........
        Jun-26 11:48:46 PM Z-Wave Z-NET-Sec: .............................. FINISHED ..............................
        Jun-26 11:48:46 PM Z-Wave Z-NET-Sec: ............................................................ ..........
        Jun-26 11:48:46 PM Z-Wave Z-NET-Sec is the SIS for the network.
        Jun-26 11:48:46 PM Z-Wave The interface's security support has been set.
        Jun-26 11:48:46 PM Z-Wave Z-NET-Sec: Z-Wave PC Controller is Type: Static Controller
        Jun-26 11:48:46 PM Z-Wave Z-NET-Sec: Z-Wave PC Controller Library Version: Z-Wave 4.05 (ZDK 6.51.6)
        Jun-26 11:48:46 PM Z-Wave Z-NET-Sec: Found 1 Z-Wave nodes in interface node ID 1 (Z-NET-Sec)
        Jun-26 11:48:46 PM Z-Wave Z-NET-Sec: Z-Wave interface node ID: 1, Home ID: DC05E75F
        Jun-26 11:48:46 PM Z-Wave Z-NET-Sec: Z-Wave Serial API version: 5
        Jun-26 11:48:46 PM Z-Wave Z-NET-Sec: Z-Wave services for the SECURITY COMMAND CLASS were successfully started.
        Jun-26 11:48:46 PM Z-Wave Z-NET-Sec: Controller firmware version: 4.32
        Jun-26 11:48:46 PM Z-Wave Z-NET-Sec: Controller Manufacturer: HomeSeer Tech, ID=0x2, Type=0x5
        Jun-26 11:48:43 PM Z-Wave Z-NET-Sec: Getting node information from controller...
        Jun-26 11:48:43 PM Z-Wave Z-NET-Sec: The Z-Wave API Execution Thread was Started or Restarted.
        Jun-26 11:48:43 PM Z-Wave Z-NET-Sec: Z-Wave Ethernet at IP 192.168.1.126, connected to interface ok.
        Jun-26 11:48:43 PM Z-Wave Z-NET-Sec: The Z-Wave Command Execution Thread was Started or Restarted.
        Jun-26 11:48:43 PM Z-Wave Z-NET-Sec: ----------------------------------------------------------------------
        Jun-26 11:48:43 PM Z-Wave Initializing Z-Wave interface Z-NET-Sec (HomeSeer Z-NET Ethernet) at 192.168.1.126, port 2001
        Jun-26 11:48:43 PM Z-Wave Z-NET-Sec: ----------------------------------------------------------------------
        Jun-26 11:48:43 PM Z-Wave Z-NET-Sec: ============================================================ ==========

The log looked like it was done (above), but the GUI said "Z-NET-Sec (Initializing...)" for a LONG time (15 to 20 minutes), so I logged off. I logged back in, and it no longer said Initializing...

Is it just a bug that it said Initializing even though it really wasn't initializing? Or did it actually have any real work to do? There was no longer any logs being generated related to this second interface.

Once I logged back in, I selected "Make this interface an Incluseion Controller ﴾Secondary﴿ on another Network". Next to "Choose a network for the selected interface to become an Inclusion Controller Of", I clicked on the popup menu that said "(Choose A Network)". However, when I click on the popup, there was no interface to select. Am I supposed to select my first network? I can't though, since the popup menu has nothing to select from. It's an empty list (the only thing it says is "(Choose A Network)", but there is NOTHING to choose from in the popup.

See the attached figure.

So, how do I go on?
        Attached Files

Comment

Restart the plugin and check the startup log for the main interface, does it say it is the suc/sis ior just sis for the network? It does it just says its primary? Do both interfaces have a different home ID? For the main interface, did you replicate from another interface to get the nodes in it, or did you use the node restore feature? It sounds like your main interface is not a suc/sis in which case it cannot have other interfaces added to it. We need to find out how that happened.

I am having trouble adding a second Z-NET to my existing Z-NET. I am using Z-Wave plug-in version 3.0.1.20 and HS3 version 3.0.0.187.

I was following the instructions in the Z-Wave Help File.
          Here's what I did:

- Selected "Add Interface"
          - I added my 2nd Z-NET and called it "Z-NET-Sec". I selected "HomeSeer Z-NET Ethernet" for the interface model.
          - I clicked on the yellow icon to enable it.

The log looked okay:

Jun-26 11:48:46 PM Z-Wave Z-NET-Sec: .............................. FINISHED ..............................
          Jun-26 11:48:46 PM Z-Wave Z-NET-Sec is the SIS for the network.
          Jun-26 11:48:46 PM Z-Wave The interface's security support has been set.
          Jun-26 11:48:46 PM Z-Wave Z-NET-Sec: Z-Wave PC Controller is Type: Static Controller
          Jun-26 11:48:46 PM Z-Wave Z-NET-Sec: Z-Wave PC Controller Library Version: Z-Wave 4.05 (ZDK 6.51.6)
          Jun-26 11:48:46 PM Z-Wave Z-NET-Sec: Found 1 Z-Wave nodes in interface node ID 1 (Z-NET-Sec)
          Jun-26 11:48:46 PM Z-Wave Z-NET-Sec: Z-Wave interface node ID: 1, Home ID: DC05E75F
          Jun-26 11:48:46 PM Z-Wave Z-NET-Sec: Z-Wave Serial API version: 5
          Jun-26 11:48:46 PM Z-Wave Z-NET-Sec: Z-Wave services for the SECURITY COMMAND CLASS were successfully started.
          Jun-26 11:48:46 PM Z-Wave Z-NET-Sec: Controller firmware version: 4.32
          Jun-26 11:48:46 PM Z-Wave Z-NET-Sec: Controller Manufacturer: HomeSeer Tech, ID=0x2, Type=0x5
          Jun-26 11:48:43 PM Z-Wave Z-NET-Sec: Getting node information from controller...
          Jun-26 11:48:43 PM Z-Wave Z-NET-Sec: The Z-Wave API Execution Thread was Started or Restarted.
          Jun-26 11:48:43 PM Z-Wave Z-NET-Sec: Z-Wave Ethernet at IP 192.168.1.126, connected to interface ok.
          Jun-26 11:48:43 PM Z-Wave Z-NET-Sec: The Z-Wave Command Execution Thread was Started or Restarted.
          Jun-26 11:48:43 PM Z-Wave Initializing Z-Wave interface Z-NET-Sec (HomeSeer Z-NET Ethernet) at 192.168.1.126, port 2001
          Jun-26 11:48:43 PM Z-Wave Z-NET-Sec: ============================================================ ==========

The log looked like it was done (above), but the GUI said "Z-NET-Sec (Initializing...)" for a LONG time (15 to 20 minutes), so I logged off. I logged back in, and it no longer said Initializing...

Is it just a bug that it said Initializing even though it really wasn't initializing? Or did it actually have any real work to do? There was no longer any logs being generated related to this second interface.

Once I logged back in, I selected "Make this interface an Incluseion Controller ﴾Secondary﴿ on another Network". Next to "Choose a network for the selected interface to become an Inclusion Controller Of", I clicked on the popup menu that said "(Choose A Network)". However, when I click on the popup, there was no interface to select. Am I supposed to select my first network? I can't though, since the popup menu has nothing to select from. It's an empty list (the only thing it says is "(Choose A Network)", but there is NOTHING to choose from in the popup.

See the attached figure.

So, how do I go on?

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Your primary is not set properly. Can you tell me how you initially added devices to the primary? Did you replicate from another controller? Do a restore from a backup file?

Comment

I did a backup of my Z-Troller and restored to the Z-NET. Details are in my previous post.

Comment

Is it possible you have another Z-Wave controller powered on that is on the same Home ID? Maybe your old Z-Troller is still powered?

What you can do to try to fix this:

1) Make sure ALL other Z-Wave controllers are powered off
                  2) Disable and power off the secondary Z-NET
                  3) Backup your main Z-Net nodes
                  4) Restore the nodes to your main Z-NET
                  5) Power cycle the Z-NET, power on HS, check the log and see if comes up saying its the SIS for the network

I did a backup of my Z-Troller and restored to the Z-NET. Details are in my previous post.

Comment

Is it possible you have another Z-Wave controller powered on that is on the same Home ID? Maybe your old Z-Troller is still powered?

5) Power cycle the Z-NET, power on HS, check the log and see if comes up saying its the SIS for the network
                    My old Z-Trollers have been powered off since last April when I replaced them with the Z-NET. I'm pretty sure I removed the batteries as well but will double check when I get home. Regarding the backup and restore procedure - I wouldn't have to rescan and redo my events will I (the device IDs will remain the same)?

EDIT: I double checked. My old Z-Trollers do NOT have batteries in them (I removed them last April when I replaced them with a Z-NET).

Also, when I did a backup of my main Z-Troller and restored the Z-NET, I didn't have to rescan. So, I assume if I do the procedure as you recommended above, I wouldn't have to rescan and update my events. I'll try the procedure later this week when I get some time.

Thanks.
                    Last edited by randman; June 30, 2015, 11:14 AM.

Comment

Thanks, Rich. I did the backup/restore procedure that you advised above.

Before I did the backup/restore, the HS startup log used to say "Z-NET-Pri is the Primary Controller for this network". During startup, the HS startup log now says: "Z-NET-Pri is the SIS for the network" (detailed startup log messages below). Is this the desired log message?

On my second Z-NET, when I select "Make this interface an inclusion Controller", the "(Choose a Network)" popup menu now shows the network name of my first Z-NET (see attached picture). I haven't actually added Z-NET-Sec as the secondary interface yet. I just wanted to see if the popup-menu now shows my first network. Is this the desired behavior?

Also, since I restored my network, should I optimize it first BEFORE adding my second Z-NET? Or it doesn't matter and I can just do optimization after adding the second Z-NET?

Below are details of how I did the backup/restore (along with the startup log messages after restore). I basically ran the same procedure that I did when I replaced my Z-Troller with a Z-NET (as documented in the Z-NET Installation Guide). However, this time, I power cycled the Z-NET and restarted HS3 after the restore (as you mentioned above). Of course, another difference is I'm using newer software now as compared to what was available last April when I did the backup/restore from Z-Troller to Z-NET.

===== Backup/restore procedure details & log messages =====

1. Ensured that all other Z-Wave controllers are powered off. My old Z-Trollers have been powered off since last April.

2. I disabled and powered off my Z-NET-Sec (the 2nd Z-NET that I'd like to be the secondary controller).

3. Backup my Z-NET-Pri (Z-NET-Pri is that Z-NET that replaced my Z-Troller last April, but is now acting as a "Primary Controller")

4. Disabled Z-NET-Pri interface (as mentioned in the Z-NET Installation Guide)

5. Deleted the Z-NET-Pri interface (as mentioned in the Z-NET Installation Guide)

6. I re-added my Z-NET-Pri interface using "Add Interface" button.

7. Enabled Z-NET-Pri interface

8. Ran "Restore a Network to this Interface" using the backup that I took from step 3. Messages from GUI:

Checking file...
                      Starting restore operation.
                      Restoring node information from the file C:\Program Files\HomeSeer HS3\Data\Z-Wave\ZNet_Network-Z-NET-Pri-backup-2015-07-02B.ZWave. Please wait...
                      Erasing the interface...
                      Z-Wave Interface Z-NET-Pri (1) has been reset to its defaults.
                      Erase complete - sending network ID to the controller...
                      Restoring node information for node 1...
                      Restoring node information for node 2...

Restoring node information for node 110...
                      Restoring node information for node 111...
                      Node information has been successfully loaded - restarting the controller...
                      Restore of node information COMPLETE.
                      Done!

9. Power cycled the Z-NET

10. Stopped HS3 and rebooted HomeTroller. HS3 startup log said:

Jul-02 12:25:46 PM Z-Wave ************************************************************ *******************
                      Jul-02 12:25:46 PM Z-Wave STARTUP COMPLETE: All configured interfaces were successfully initialized.
                      Jul-02 12:25:46 PM Z-Wave ************************************************************ *******************
                      Jul-02 12:25:44 PM Startup Start up complete.
                      Jul-02 12:25:44 PM Startup Starting the HS3 Sentry EXE
                      Jul-02 12:25:44 PM Startup Starting HSSentry watchdog.
                      Jul-02 12:25:44 PM Startup (Startup.vb script) No speaker clients detected, waiting up to 30 seconds for any to connect...
                      Jul-02 12:25:44 PM Startup (Startup.vb script) Scripting is OK and is now running Startup.vb
                      Jul-02 12:25:44 PM Startup Starting Event Scheduler...
                      Jul-02 12:25:43 PM Z-Wave Z-NET-Pri: ............................................................ ..........
                      Jul-02 12:25:43 PM Z-Wave Z-NET-Pri: .............................. FINISHED ..............................
                      Jul-02 12:25:43 PM Z-Wave Z-NET-Pri: ............................................................ ..........
                      Jul-02 12:25:43 PM Z-Wave Z-NET-Pri is the SIS for the network.
                      Jul-02 12:25:43 PM Z-Wave The interface's security support has been set.
                      Jul-02 12:25:43 PM Z-Wave Z-NET-Pri: Z-Wave PC Controller is Type: Static Controller
                      Jul-02 12:25:43 PM Z-Wave Z-NET-Pri: Z-Wave PC Controller Library Version: Z-Wave 4.05 (ZDK 6.51.6)
                      Jul-02 12:25:43 PM Z-Wave Z-NET-Pri: Found 91 Z-Wave nodes in interface node ID 1 (Z-NET-Pri)
                      Jul-02 12:25:43 PM Z-Wave Z-NET-Pri: Z-Wave interface node ID: 1, Home ID: 003D829B
                      Jul-02 12:25:43 PM Z-Wave Z-NET-Pri: Z-Wave Serial API version: 5
                      Jul-02 12:25:43 PM Z-Wave Z-NET-Pri: Z-Wave services for the SECURITY COMMAND CLASS were successfully started.
                      Jul-02 12:25:43 PM Startup Running the startup script Startup.vb
                      Jul-02 12:25:42 PM HSTouch Server Server started on port 5909
                      Jul-02 12:25:42 PM Info Starting speaker client...
                      Jul-02 12:25:42 PM Startup Starting DDNS service...
                      Jul-02 12:25:42 PM Startup Updater services starting...
                      Jul-02 12:25:41 PM Database Opening (Mode=Read/Write) up HomeSeer Energy database C:\Program Files\HomeSeer HS3\Data\Energy\Energy.hsd
                      Jul-02 12:25:41 PM Speech Listening for remote speaker connections on port 10401
                      Jul-02 12:25:41 PM Startup Initializing Speaker Client Interface
                      Jul-02 12:25:41 PM Startup Start automation engine...
                      Jul-02 12:25:39 PM Z-Wave Z-NET-Pri: Controller firmware version: 4.32
                      Jul-02 12:25:39 PM Z-Wave Z-NET-Pri: Controller Manufacturer: HomeSeer Tech, ID=0x2, Type=0x5
                      Jul-02 12:25:37 PM Web Server SSL Web Server started on port 5910
                      Jul-02 12:25:37 PM Startup Creating ASP.NET application host...
                      Jul-02 12:25:37 PM Web Server Web Server started on port 5911
                      Jul-02 12:25:37 PM Web Server UPNP Discovery started
                      Jul-02 12:25:37 PM Web Server Local IP address (subnet) is: 192.168.1.203 (255.255.255.0)
                      Jul-02 12:25:37 PM Z-Wave Z-NET-Pri: Getting node information from controller...
                      Jul-02 12:25:37 PM Z-Wave Z-NET-Pri: The Z-Wave API Execution Thread was Started or Restarted.
                      Jul-02 12:25:37 PM Z-Wave Z-NET-Pri: Processing data buffered by the interface while it was disconnected.
                      Jul-02 12:25:36 PM Z-Wave Z-NET-Pri: Z-Wave Ethernet at IP 192.168.1.127, connected to interface ok.
                      Jul-02 12:25:36 PM Z-Wave Z-NET-Pri: The Z-Wave Command Execution Thread was Started or Restarted.
                      Jul-02 12:25:36 PM Z-Wave Z-NET-Pri: ----------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Jul-02 12:25:36 PM Z-Wave Initializing Z-Wave interface Z-NET-Pri (HomeSeer Z-NET Ethernet) at 192.168.1.127, port 2001
                      Jul-02 12:25:36 PM Z-Wave Z-NET-Pri: ----------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Jul-02 12:25:36 PM Z-Wave Z-NET-Pri: ============================================================ ==========
                      Jul-02 12:25:36 PM Plug-In Finished initializing plug-in Z-Wave

11. Removed 2nd Z-NET (Z-NET-Sec) and readded and enabled.
                      Attached Files

Comment

After doing the backup and restore procedure, my 1st Z-NET went from Primary Controller to SIS. Then, I was able to add my 2nd Z-NET as a secondary controller! One Z-NET was ALMOST good enough to do the work of two Z-TROLLERs, but I still needed the second Z-NET for better reliability and performance. So far, so good!

Comment

Working...
                        X