Foscam IP Cameras

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Foscam IP Cameras

I have never dealt with IP based camera's before and I have a few questions which are probably simple but I can't find enough consistent answers to. I have 2 Foscam's (F18918W & F18905W) connected to HS3 with the default built in functionality.
    1. What kind of bandwidth do camera's like this take up on the wireless network?
    2. Do they constantly transmit even if there are no clients actually viewing the streams?
    3. If #2 is yes then is there a way to suppress the streams until they are called for?
    4. What are most people using to view / manage the video these days with HS3?

Thanks

I'm using a separate machine for cameras. I tried out zoneminder and it works, but it's resource intensive and very complicated to setup. This is actually a *good* thing since every single setting is configurable. It's just takes quite a while to setup.

Just yesterday, I installed BlueIris which is resource intensive, but way easier to configure and get running.

BlueIris has a web interface that I use for displaying in HSTouch.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the cameras always 'stream' the data and the clients just dip their toes into the 'stream' - so, the camera is always transmitting. Most cams allow you to adjust the kbps to balance bandwidth and quality.
    HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
    54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
    Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

I have 2 foscams, 19821 & 10804. I initially tried view them via the touch PI, but that never worked, so I gave up. I now use Blue Iris sw to monitor and control the 2 foscam's as well as a couple of logitech webcams. I use the BI PI to link BI to HS3 and it works great. In one scenario, activating HS3 motion detectors will change the profile of the BI sw, putting the inside cameras in record mode. That, in turn, sends text & email alerts complete with pictures, video.
      As far as streaming is concerned, I can randomly use my iphone and/or kindle to view live video without any delay whatsoever on connect time, so I'm assuming the stream is constant. I do know that you can choose what type of stream to broadcast to certain devices. hope this helps...

Comment

Working...
      X