No announcement yet.

Radio Shack IP Cams for $25

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I looked at the logs for the RS IP camera a few minutes ago. The motion setup had triggered events and email sends.

07/09/2011 20:38:48 SMTP: Failed to send E-mail to "homeseer@gmail.com".
    07/09/2011 20:38:44 Alert: Detected motion.
    07/09/2011 20:36:10 SMTP: Failed to send E-mail to "homeseer@gmail.com".
    07/09/2011 20:36:06 Alert: Detected motion.
    07/09/2011 20:33:07 SMTP: Failed to send E-mail to "homeseer@gmail.com".
    07/09/2011 20:33:03 Alert: Detected motion.
    I changed the settings to pointing to the Homeseer server (running STunnel) as you have above in the snapshots using SMTP port 25 and the emails went through.

07/09/2011 20:42:18 SMTP: Send E-mail OK by SMTP server [host: HomeseerIP].

07/09/2011 20:46:45 SMTP: Send E-mail OK by SMTP server [host: HomeseerIP].
    07/09/2011 20:46:38 Alert: Detected motion.
    07/09/2011 20:44:44 SMTP: Send E-mail OK by SMTP server [host: HomeseerIP].
    07/09/2011 20:44:37 Alert: Detected motion.
    07/09/2011 20:42:18 SMTP: Send E-mail OK by SMTP server [host: HomeseerIP].
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Pete; July 9, 2011, 09:11 PM.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

pete - you're right! it works :-) come to find out, my problem was that it was not triggering. i had to adjust the trigger window and sensitivity, and now it's working! thanks much!
      Plugins:
      BLLogMonitor, BLGarbage, BLBackup, BLOutGoingCalls, BLUps, BLRfid, JvEss, DooMotion, Applied Digital Ocelot, AC RF Processor, UltraMon, PJC AVR 430, UPB, Rain8net, DSC Panel, JRiver Media center, Windows Media Player, SageMediaCenter, SnevlCID, MCSTemperature.

Comment

Good news Ian.
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Dafunktyfunk View Post
          Tinycam for Android has updated this for use with these cams. Both wiress and wired work natively. Just choose NorthQ as the manuf. and all is GREAT!

Due to size limitations, you will need to change the file extension from ".zip" to ".apk"

DO NOT OPEN THE ZIP, it is just an extension change to help uploading. From there you can sideload the app.

The update is still pending in the marketplace.

Of course, you will still need to update the firmware per the instructions in this post.
          Are you accessing the cameras with this app over the mobile internet, or internally on wifi? If externally, can you share the basic method you used for setting that up?

Thanks,

Ian
          Plugins:
          BLLogMonitor, BLGarbage, BLBackup, BLOutGoingCalls, BLUps, BLRfid, JvEss, DooMotion, Applied Digital Ocelot, AC RF Processor, UltraMon, PJC AVR 430, UPB, Rain8net, DSC Panel, JRiver Media center, Windows Media Player, SageMediaCenter, SnevlCID, MCSTemperature.

Comment

Question..

I have the cameras setup and can view without issue. Unfortunately, when I open the configuration window for motion detection to try to set the detection windows I only get a blue box with no image. How do I set the detection areas?
            Last edited by gelessor; July 12, 2011, 08:05 AM.

Comment

I noticed initially that my office desktop wouldn't load the active x componenet either with IE or FF. It uses the ActiveX component overlay for the motion detection; so initially I never saw the screens properely. I enabled the security piece of IE Intranet settings; loaded up the ActiveX component. Once configured you'll see a window with a "motion bar" on the bottom of it. It'll flicker from left to right depending on the motion.
              - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Thanks Pete for pointing me in the right direction. I was using Chrome and could see the windows... Opened with IE and now life is good.

Thanks

Comment

How to keep track of settings?

We had a power outage 2 days ago. Not sure what happened but I lost all my WebcamXP settings for my cameras. Yuk! It took me pretty much a full day to get everything working again. No way could I remember how I did it the first time!!!

So my question is: How to document all the camera, router, and server software settings for multiple cameras. Other than writing them down, is there a way to summarize the settings? There are 13 pages of settings in the North Q administrator setup!

As a broader question, this same issue pertains to Homeseer and all its plugins.

Steve Q
                  HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
                  2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

Steve,

Did you lose the camera settings on the camera? Did they reset because of the power outage. I am guessing that a power outage wouldn't affect settings in a router or server but wondering about the RS cameras themselves.

Right now if I lose power to the Foscam PT camera all the settings including where the camera is facing comes back; such that I don't have to do anything to the camera or ZM. If the RS camera is losing its settings with a power outage; that is not a good thing. My "test" RS IP camera is set up with ZM so really I am not doing much with the camera relating to settings. I've had numerous power outages averaging at least once a month and have not seen any issues with the RS IP camera the way I have it configured. Typically the entire configuration would remain intact for the IP camera should a power outage occur. I am curious what specifically you lost relating to the configurations after the power outages. Based on what you are saying relating to spending a day on reconfiguration; I would almost have to say that its not worth using for Home automation or security if you have to do anything to the camera after a power failure.

Relating to webcamxp; I am curious if the settings are not saved or methodology of the configuration. If you have to reconfigure it after a power failure that's kind of telling me that the application is not doing its job or saving the settings; maybe just keeping the settings dynamically in memory? I would question then the use of WebCamXP for cameras if it needs to be reconfigured after a power failure. I currently have my ZM setup on a UPS too; but historically have never lost any settings on it after a power failure; in fact once configured and running; it never breaks until the HW starts to go. For me with ZM its only been a motherboard; never a hard drive to date.

I have my HS box and ZM box on a UPS. If they are shut off by accident I do not lose any of the settings.
                    Last edited by Pete; July 13, 2011, 09:04 AM.
                    - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Pete, I did not loose the camera settings (although it makes me wonder how long the settings will remain in the camera after it is disconnected from the power), I lost the WebcamXP configuration settings: motion detection parameters, IP setup, etc. All the necessary parameters to interact with Homeseer. I had multiple backups of the settings file but WebcamXP refused to load them. So I had to start from scratch. THis has happened only once or twice before. But as my system grows it becomes more difficult to return it to "working" condition when something goes wrong.

WebcamXP is designed to backup its configuration automatically. Under normal circumstances everything works OK. But something didn't work this time.

Like you I have everything on a UPS. But the power outage was long enough (2 hours) that everything shut down. (probably not gracefully)!

I am happy with the performance of my cameras and webcamXP, so I don't want to move to a new system (maybe someday). But I would like to have some sort of backup plan for the cameras/software. I was hoping that somebody has a slick way to document all the settings involved.

Steve Q
                      HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
                      2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

That's odd about webcamxp to have to start from scratch. I wonder what other folks on the forum do relating to similiar issues.
                        - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Q View Post
                          I am happy with the performance of my cameras and webcamXP, so I don't want to move to a new system (maybe someday). But I would like to have some sort of backup plan for the cameras/software. I was hoping that somebody has a slick way to document all the settings involved.
                          I've been using WebcamXP for a long time, but have never had that problem. I've managed to screw up the configuration, but I'm the one to blame for that.

However, the configuration is stored under (for pre-Vista Windowses) in:
                          C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\webcamXP 5
                          or (for Vista and Win7):
                          C:\Users\All Users\webcam 7

You can just backup that folder if you want to. I use CrashPlan+ to backup over 1.5TB with data from my server, including SageTV, WebcamXP and VMware virtual machines.
                          HSPro 3.0.0.458, Z-NET with Z-wave plugin 3.0.1.190, RFXCOM + 2x RFXtrx433E, HSTouch, Squeezebox plugin, iTach IP/WF2IR & GC-100-6 with UltraGCIR, BLDenon, NetcamStudio, Jon00s Webpage builder, Harmony Hub plugin, SCSIP (with FreePBX), Arduino plugin, IFTTT, Pushalot plugin, Device History plugin.
                          Running on Windows 10 (64) virtualized
                          on ESXi (Fujitsu Primergy TX150 S8).
                          WinSeer (for Win10) - TextSeer - FitbitSeer - HSPI_MoskusSample

Are you Norwegian (or Scandinavian) and getting started with HomeSeer? Read the "HomeSeer School"!

Comment

I am using an older version of WebcamXP (3.72). There is some kind of bug in the settings file management. It will not "load settings" from a backup file. This has probably been fixed in newer versions ( I should upgrade, but I don't have the money right now).

I back up my computer. But this won't help if you have to replace a router or IP camera! I spent a huge amount of time figuring out the right router/camera settings. I also have an extensive xap network and I am also trying to figure out how to replace/upgrade some parts. Documenting how all this stuff is connected/configured is not easy. How do you do it?

Steve Q

Comment

I used to do screen snapshots of my settings such that I wouldn't lose track. You can save the configs on a router or camera but if you change hardware then only the settings really matter.

For ZM / XAP / Naming of Motion Zones I keep always utilize the same names and have the same number of events per camera. That wouldn't help me reconfigure the specific areas of a zone but it helps with the Homeseer configuration to ZM XAP configuration. I also did a logical drawing of my HS connectivity. I have over 16 comm devices and utilize the same com ports per utilized Homeseer device. I've done this for many years now.
                              - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Pete,

I like the idea of screenshots. I have done this in the past to post information on this bulletin board. It is pretty easy, certainly much easier than a step-by-step procedure. I like it!!!!

I think I will explore this idea more fully. I think I will create .jpeg photos (no special viewing software required) of the setup pages for my router and cameras. I can keep them in dedicated "setup" files.

Is there some software (like "facebook") that would make it easy to create a document or a blog that could be stored in the "Cloud"???
                                Putting all my configuration stuff "In the cloud", in my opinion, would be a great utilization of "cloud" computing!

Steve Q

Comment

Working...
                                X